What's new

Carbs in Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I have no proof but my belive is that micro is the most effective. Youre consuming the whole plant and by doing that all the lactones in the root. And because its ground so fine, the gut can effectively digest and metabolize the root. The main problem is the extra unwanted nutrients you end up consuming, and for me the byproduct is the eqivalent of a huge steaming compost pile sitting in my gut greating a huge cloud of loud smelly gas ::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2:::wideyed: :whistle:

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I have no proof but my belive is that micro is the most effective. Youre consuming the whole plant and by doing that all the lactones in the root. And because its ground so fine, the gut can effectively digest and metabolize the root. The main problem is the extra unwanted nutrients you end up consuming, and for me the byproduct is the eqivalent of a huge steaming compost pile sitting in my gut greating a huge cloud of loud smelly gas ::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2::::fart2:::wideyed: :whistle:
I am blessed that I did not suffer any gastric issues from the micronized. It definitely is a heavy thing in your stomach though I can feel it. If you are correct that makes me sad. I'm really fine with the Borongoru micronized it works fine for me and I have an 11 year waka, loa waka, borgou, and pouino ono all just sitting here waiting to be consumed by me, much of it from last year before I broke through reverse tolerance after finally having patience. But if it stalls my weight loss and throws me out of ketosis no good no matter how effective.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
11 year is my favorite. Keep us posted, every little tidbit of info helps us to better understand the effects of kava.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
I can't speak for blood tests, I stopped using a blood test to determine ketosis after a few rounds of buying the strips. They're absurdly expensive, and I find the urine test is good enough for a ballpark idea of whether I'm in ketosis or not, so unfortunately my data may be somewhat suspect.

Nevertheless: today, was in ketosis upon waking according to strips (heavy ketosis). By noon, still in fairly deep ketosis. One hour and three tablespoons of Moi Instant later, I'm only showing trace amounts of ketones according to the strips. That's actually less kava than I was expecting it to take.

Take it for what you will. I'll probably take a 15+ mile ride a bit later, after which I'll test again. I'm sure I'll be back in ketosis as I usually am after decent rides. And then I'll probably kava up again. If past experience is any indication, I would imagine I'll fall back out of it...

Not sure if regular kava use is compatible with a strict keto diet. FWIW, I use keto partially for weight loss, but I also enjoy the positive effects on endurance. There aren't as many peaks and valleys with energy on longer rides/runs, and I never have to bring gels or other snack food along for the ride, just water and a little bit of body fat to consume along the way. :)

The positive effects on cardiovascular health and the anti-inflammatory properties of the diet are also nice, though my doctor seems to disapprove despite handing her six articles from NIH, JAMA, and other well-regarded and peer-reviewed journals. It's incredible how old health practices die so hard. But, then, she's not a nutritionist, so it's not really her responsibility per se to keep up on the recent literature.

.wimbly

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I can't speak for blood tests, I stopped using a blood test to determine ketosis after a few rounds of buying the strips. They're absurdly expensive, and I find the urine test is good enough for a ballpark idea of whether I'm in ketosis or not, so unfortunately my data may be somewhat suspect.

Nevertheless: today, was in ketosis upon waking according to strips (heavy ketosis). By noon, still in fairly deep ketosis. One hour and three tablespoons of Moi Instant later, I'm only showing trace amounts of ketones according to the strips. That's actually less kava than I was expecting it to take.

Take it for what you will. I'll probably take a 15+ mile ride a bit later, after which I'll test again. I'm sure I'll be back in ketosis as I usually am after decent rides. And then I'll probably kava up again. If past experience is any indication, I would imagine I'll fall back out of it...

Not sure if regular kava use is compatible with a strict keto diet. FWIW, I use keto partially for weight loss, but I also enjoy the positive effects on endurance. There aren't as many peaks and valleys with energy on longer rides/runs, and I never have to bring gels or other snack food along for the ride, just water and a little bit of body fat to consume along the way. :)

The positive effects on cardiovascular health and the anti-inflammatory properties of the diet are also nice, though my doctor seems to disapprove despite handing her six articles from NIH, JAMA, and other well-regarded and peer-reviewed journals. It's incredible how old health practices die so hard. But, then, she's not a nutritionist, so it's not really her responsibility per se to keep up on the recent literature.

.wimbly
My heart races and I have a lot of palpitations off of keto (also when I'm adapting back). When I'm on keto I don't have as many panic attacks and every little thing that set off palpatations or a headache cause I haven't had a candy bar stops. Lost over 100 pounds on the diet twice and doctor is very pro low carb even with my LDL being really high he did not panic put me on a statin. Seems to value me losing the rest of the weight over any potential problems with cholesterol if it's even related to that. (in early 20's though)

Thank you for your assessment. It's sad to hear that with instant. I think I have older strips lying around. Once I am fully back into ketosis (only just starting carb restriction today) I will be able to give more proper insight. Hoping medium grind strained doesn't have as much of an effect. I do not mind some slowing of weight loss (I am within 30 pounds of my goal) it's just an issue of not wanting to be thrown all the way out where I start having cravings or gain weight.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
11 year is my favorite. Keep us posted, every little tidbit of info helps us to better understand the effects of kava.
Unfortunately, it's in micro version. I bought a whole pound of it because I heard so many good things about it and saw it was going to be retired. I'm not sure how long Kava lasts but I'm sure I will find time to try it.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
Thank you for your assessment. It's sad to hear that with instant. I think I have older strips lying around. Once I am fully back into ketosis (only just starting carb restriction today) I will be able to give more proper insight. Hoping medium grind strained doesn't have as much of an effect. I do not mind some slowing of weight loss (I am within 30 pounds of my goal) it's just an issue of not wanting to be thrown all the way out where I start having cravings or gain weight.
Unfortunately I was attempting instant exclusively to see if it was a better alternative to medium grind and/or micro, both of which I've had the same problem with. I think there was a thought that perhaps the instant would have less carbs and would therefore have less of an effect of ketogenic metabolism. Unfortunately, at least for me, that does not seem to be the case.

As a follow up, I did as I mentioned in my last post: took a decently long bike ride and then came home and had a microgreen salad with bleu cheese, sunflower seeds, two avocados, and two eggs as well as a small amount of chicken with a cream and butter sauce on the side. After about an hour, I tested again with a urine strip and was once again back in ketosis. I prepared about 3-4 tablespoons of Instant Moi again over the course of about an hour. I tested again about two hours after ingestion, and I am once again out of ketosis.

For me, it seems inarguable that there are enough carbs (or some other metabolic effect is occurring) with kava to be contraindicated for a ketogenic diet. That being said, I would once again point out that: a) the kick-out period is fairly short, so the carb content must be low, b) the appetite suppressing effect as well as the "planning effect" (aka, the desire to limit food intake before having a few shells) make up for this in terms of weight loss in my opinion, so if you are on a keto diet exclusively for weight loss, this effect may compensate for the loss of keto, and c) because this has been my experience does not mean it will be everyone's experience.

I'm typically relatively "carb tolerant" in ketosis, partially because of my exercise regime and partially... just because I guess. I've found that I can have a decent amount (30-50 carbs, so the upper end of the limit) without problems. So, with that being said, I'm a little surprised how easily kava takes me out. Nevertheless, it may be that I'm somehow "kava carb sensitive," and the kava carbohydrates are somehow more aggressively storing glycogen in my liver/muscles. This may be unique to kava, or unique to me, or unique to kava and me. I'm interested to hear what other people on ketogenic diets experience.

.wimbly

Crunked

Proselytizer
Is it possible that the urine strips are giving you a false negative when you consume kava? I am in ketosis and I test with a keto blood meter. The only time I get knocked out is if I overdo my daily protein. FWIW, I have mainly consumed micro from the Kava Society of NZ for the past couple of months. In the past I have also consumed micro from GHK with no problems. I know in some countries the strips are expensive (not in Oz thank goodness), but it might be worth buying a pack just to confirm your suspicion because the urine strips are not considered very accurate.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I 2nd the use of blood testing with glucose/ketone meter. The glucose test strips are a lot cheaper than the keytone strips. From my testing experience there appears to be a fairly strong inverse relationship between keytines and glucose, so I can normally infer my keytone state based on a glucose test. Ill then use the keytone strip when I want to confirm my glucose test (about once a week)

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
Is it possible that the urine strips are giving you a false negative when you consume kava? I am in ketosis and I test with a keto blood meter. The only time I get knocked out is if I overdo my daily protein. FWIW, I have mainly consumed micro from the Kava Society of NZ for the past couple of months. In the past I have also consumed micro from GHK with no problems. I know in some countries the strips are expensive (not in Oz thank goodness), but it might be worth buying a pack just to confirm your suspicion because the urine strips are not considered very accurate.
Indeed. They could very well be giving me a false negative, especially seeing as I rarely stay out of ketosis long. Nevertheless, running this down seems somewhat critical. As I understand it, high triglyceride levels are acceptable when operating under a ketogenic metabolism because the triglycerides are being converted to energy rather than roaming the body pell-mell and potentially instigating plaque formation. Coming in and out of keto can be relatively unhealthy.

I 2nd the use of blood testing with glucose/ketone meter. The glucose test strips are a lot cheaper than the keytone strips. From my testing experience there appears to be a fairly strong inverse relationship between keytines and glucose, so I can normally infer my keytone state based on a glucose test. Ill then use the keytone strip when I want to confirm my glucose test (about once a week)
That's a really good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

.wimbly

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Indeed. They could very well be giving me a false negative, especially seeing as I rarely stay out of ketosis long. Nevertheless, running this down seems somewhat critical. As I understand it, high triglyceride levels are acceptable when operating under a ketogenic metabolism because the triglycerides are being converted to energy rather than roaming the body pell-mell and potentially instigating plaque formation. Coming in and out of keto can be relatively unhealthy.

That's a really good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

.wimbly
On the topic of triglycerides mine are really good (I think it was like 43) and have been as long as I've been on keto which is a known positive effect of keto. LDL is another story. And yes, going in and out of Keto from my understanding is not very good as your body become adapted to using ketones exclusively for energy over glucose and if you knock yourself out of that state your body doesn't know what to do.

Been avoiding Kava as I go through induction and get back into Ketosis fully and it sucks. :p

FYI I always found my ketone readings wonky when I used to use them. I would always show up in light ketosis when being heaily restricve and losing weight. Might just be my body though.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
For those interested, I ordered a 10-strip pack of Ketone strips for my blood-test meter, and I will be doing some experiments regarding kava and ketosis next week. Can I solicit some suggestions for best use here? My intention is to spend the weekend earnestly following a ketogenic diet and then Sunday night or Monday morning checking the blood levels. I then plan on trying Kava in a fasted state (in the morning before I've eaten) and taking a blood reading after a couple of tablespoons, and then again a bit later (perhaps after another two tablespoons or perhaps not?).

I have a couple bags of GHK root I'll be using, one instant and one micronized. Any suggestions/ideas/considerations?

.wimbly

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I have been using medium grind borongoru for 3 - 4 days now. Weight has gone from 210.8 to 209.6 to 208.2! Doing 5-9 TBPS with double washes using aluball too. Not having the best experience effects are meh (but noticeable), you guys talk about Kava as if you're having a orgasm, but I'm hoping once it builds up in my system I will need less and I also ordered from Loa Waka from KWK which is supposed to be really potent.

Other than that, had some HUGE steaks, bacon jerky, etc. I do notice that I seem to have more cravings.. but that could be entirely psychological. Got keto sticks on the way as well.

Theirs so little sentiment from the aluball that I think that it's mostly just water soluble sugars coming through. I think my body can tolerate it as I only have 2 meals a day and the first meal consist of an avocado and tuna or chicken salad and then I drink Kava in the afternoon so it's like a mini 2nd meal to my body sugar wise and probably isn't enough to kick me out of ketosis. Atleast it stands to reason if I'm dropping over a pound a day I'm still in ketosis! Or in it long enough when I am to make up for the Kava kickout. All in all, weight loss might slow down as it picks up like this for me, but if we can get under 200 and still be on Keto well that would be a barrier for me to cross.

Last edited:

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
I have been using medium grind borongoru for 3 - 4 days now. Weight has gone from 110.8 to 109.6 to 108.2! Doing 5-9 TBPS with double washes using aluball too. Not having the best experience effects are meh (but noticeable), you guys talk about Kava as if you're having a orgasm, but I'm hoping once it builds up in my system I will need less and I also ordered from Loa Waka from KWK which is supposed to be really potent.

Other than that, had some HUGE steaks, bacon jerky, etc. I do notice that I seem to have more cravings.. but that could be entirely psychological. Got keto sticks on the way as well.

Theirs so little sentiment from the aluball that I think that it's mostly just water soluble sugars coming through. I think my body can tolerate it as I only have 2 meals a day and the first meal consist of an avocado and tuna or chicken salad and then I drink Kava in the afternoon so it's like a mini 2nd meal to my body sugar wise and probably isn't enough to kick me out of ketosis. Atleast it stands to reason if I'm dropping over a pound a day I'm still in ketosis! Or in it long enough when I am to make up for the Kava kickout. All in all, weight loss might slow down as it picks up like this for me, but if we can get under 200 and still be on Keto well that would be a barrier for me to cross.
There are sugars as well as starches in kava (think about the "starchy water" left over after boiling pasta), both of which contribute to carbohydrate load. I have definitely noticed that kava will kick me out of ketosis, so the question is how much effect it's having.

I'm not sure how long you've been doing a ketogenic diet, and I'm also not sure if that is in KG or LB as your numbers jumped around a bit from 100s in the initial paragraph to mentioning 200 in the last, but losing a pound a day would mean you're having caloric deficits to the tune of more than 20,000 calories a week. While that's theoretically possible, it's extremely unlikely, so my guess is that you're likely simply losing water wait from the induction phase of keto. Glycogen, the polysaccharide formations resulting from carbohydrate storage, require water for storage. When you deplete your body of glycogen as you begin entering a ketogenic state, that bound-up water gets lost as well. It's not unusual to see a fairly dramatic weight loss in the first week or two as you enter into a ketogenic metabolism. After that, it's CICO just like any other diet, albeit easier to reduce the CI because of the satiating effect of the HFLC diet.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just don't want you to become upset when the weight loss slows down. Keep at it, it's an incredibly effective diet for weight loss as well as for endurance athletics.

.wimbly

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
There are sugars as well as starches in kava (think about the "starchy water" left over after boiling pasta), both of which contribute to carbohydrate load. I have definitely noticed that kava will kick me out of ketosis, so the question is how much effect it's having.

I'm not sure how long you've been doing a ketogenic diet, and I'm also not sure if that is in KG or LB as your numbers jumped around a bit from 100s in the initial paragraph to mentioning 200 in the last, but losing a pound a day would mean you're having caloric deficits to the tune of more than 20,000 calories a week. While that's theoretically possible, it's extremely unlikely, so my guess is that you're likely simply losing water wait from the induction phase of keto. Glycogen, the polysaccharide formations resulting from carbohydrate storage, require water for storage. When you deplete your body of glycogen as you begin entering a ketogenic state, that bound-up water gets lost as well. It's not unusual to see a fairly dramatic weight loss in the first week or two as you enter into a ketogenic metabolism. After that, it's CICO just like any other diet, albeit easier to reduce the CI because of the satiating effect of the HFLC diet.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just don't want you to become upset when the weight loss slows down. Keep at it, it's an incredibly effective diet for weight loss as well as for endurance athletics.

.wimbly
Most likely it's simply water loss from the diuretic effect of kava, especially if your intake is at that level. Stay hydrated.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Nah not at all guys. I have lost over 100 pounds from doing low carb over 10 years or so and from time to time it speeds up like its doing now where I'll lose a bunch of weight in a small amount of time and then I hit a total wall. It could also be related to what you're saying but this is not abnormal to me. I'll lost like maybe 4-5 pounds randomly 1 week then it'll stop for a bit then pick up again. I lost about 15 pounds from feburary for example I was stuck at like 218 not moving then I would "break through" and jet set to like 207 then I was sitting there for a while. Could very well be some sort of water weight but I was on keto for 3 months before and I went off for 1 week and now I'm back on about a week a half in.

We'll see what happens I can only document my experience so people in the future on low carb diets can reference this and decide whether they think it will be worth it for Kava to still be present during their weight loss journey.

I drink a lot of water, drink magnesium supplementation, eat an avocado a day for potassium to try to keep my electrolytes balanced.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
For those interested, I ordered a 10-strip pack of Ketone strips for my blood-test meter, and I will be doing some experiments regarding kava and ketosis next week. Can I solicit some suggestions for best use here? My intention is to spend the weekend earnestly following a ketogenic diet and then Sunday night or Monday morning checking the blood levels. I then plan on trying Kava in a fasted state (in the morning before I've eaten) and taking a blood reading after a couple of tablespoons, and then again a bit later (perhaps after another two tablespoons or perhaps not?).

I have a couple bags of GHK root I'll be using, one instant and one micronized. Any suggestions/ideas/considerations?

.wimbly
It took me over a week to stabilize new diet changes. So I think its a good idea to do your test long enough to take that into consideration before switching or stopping kava.

Three tests would be great
* Instant
* Micro
* None

If you can afford it, once an hour or two after kava and once in the morning when you wake. I normally just do mine first thing in the morning before consuming anything.

I missed the post that you got a meter. That's great, which one did you get??

I'm actually excited you're doing this. Thanks!!!

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Did a session. Checked ketone strip and showed pretty much no ketones. Dont particularly feel out of ketosis and these strips always showed me not in ketosis in the past whereas i was still losing weight and feeling the effects I normally do when I am. Will check in morning.

WimblySlop

Kava Curious
Did a session. Checked ketone strip and showed pretty much no ketones. Dont particularly feel out of ketosis and these strips always showed me not in ketosis in the past whereas i was still losing weight and feeling the effects I normally do when I am. Will check in morning.
Ketone urine strips aren't particularly accurate unfortunately, though I find them useful for a ballpark. There were times in the past when I was doing ketone blood tests where I was showing less than .5mmol/L ketones even though I was pissing purple on the strip.

.wimbly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.