What's new

Converting grams to milligrams

R

Rookietwoshoes

Most of the literature I'm coming across is saying that 300 mg is a safe dose of kava. How does one calculate how many milligrams are in each tablespoon if there isn't any information on the powder's packaging?

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
With medium ground kava no one I know measures it in grams. It's usually tablespoons, or cups. Anywhere from 1-8 tbsp per session would be normal. The average might be 4 or 5 tbsp. Then some people do 3/4 of a cup or something. The best way is through reading the guides here, or trail and error. If you make 8tbsp you still have to consume it, and at a certain point if you've had enough you just stop drinking.

300 mg most likely refers to an extract pill. I have vitamin and supplement capsules that are over 300 mg.

R

Rookietwoshoes

I appreciate your response however I'm not sure if the 300 mg only relates to pills. It's a measurement of safety dose therefore shouldn't it apply across the board regardless of the form by which it is ingested?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i think it's hard to judge actual mg consumption unless you have a standardized extract or pure kavalactone crystals.
kava root grinds can vary in size...the amount of kavalactones you squeeze out and particles that pass through your strainer would differ from kava to kava, even if you used '8 tbsp' for each one...or weighed out 50 grams for each one....what you actually consume would still be different, in terms of true kavalactone mg's

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There is no way to do it reliably without scientific equipment. The 250mg recommendation I'm not really sure where it came from but it does not appear to be based on science.

R

Rookietwoshoes

@shakas Exactly. So because there's no way to judge how many milligrams you're ingesting when using powder then one can easily go beyond this alleged safety dose, right?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
ya, you can't really know...but here's some info on drinking in vanuatu, it's been said that one shell can range from 150-500 mg kavalactones...and it's common to drink 500mg-2,500mg daily there.

Pink

Kava Curious
As Shakas said no one really measures kava kava,its not some sort of drug where precise dosage is needed.
Since its correct even if you say measure 50g end results will depend of how much water you used on top,what way you strained it,then kava strain and so on.
One thing for sure,once its made you can judge it after drinking it,if after shell or two you feel pleased then wolla,if you get some negative side effects just reduce intake.
not rocket science here :watching:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I recall some discussion here by people who use sensitive scales to weigh their kava rather than measure by volume. But in that case you would weigh out something like 50 grams of powder: The actual milligrams of kavalactones you are consuming would, as Deleted User pointed out, depend on a lot of factors, and could not in general be known accurately.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I use scales to measure out my daily kava, and as shakas said, there's no really good way of knowing exactly how much kavalactones are in your brew.

R

Rookietwoshoes

Just was concerned that the 300 mg was the daily standard dose and that exceeding it would cause problems down the line. I wonder who the heck came up with that number to begin with. thanks everybody !

D

Deactivated Account

@shakas Exactly. So because there's no way to judge how many milligrams you're ingesting when using powder then one can easily go beyond this alleged safety dose, right?
With powdered kava it's diff to gauge as is it superb quality or saw dust.

A very normal day with powdered kava for me is 200gr (200 000mg)

I've had days when I've drank a pound of kava (nearly 1/2 million mg) I've never overdosed if you exclude falling asleep on the floor of my shed for the night or explosive vomiting out of my nose.

My body tells me when I've had enough.

Gradius

I always weigh too. I guess it's just become part of my kava making ritual.

Just was concerned that the 300 mg was the daily standard dose and that exceeding it would cause problems down the line. I wonder who the heck came up with that number to begin with. thanks everybody !
My guess for the 300 mg recommendation is that it minimizes the risk of experiencing that most dreadful side-effect...euphoria.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
There's a page in "Kava, the Pacific Elixir" where Vince Lebot states how many milligrams of kavalactones are in a shell of kava, but he doesn't give a his recipe for making kava from powdered root. (He's probably drinking fresh kava at a Port Vila nakamal).

I think my daily maximum was a about 3/4 of a cup of powdered root mixed with about three or four tablespoons of instant powder, drank over the period of several hours.