What's new

Daily long-term use ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I'm curious how many people here take kava on a daily basis, and long-term, with no "planned breaks" ?
Is it considered safe for long-term daily use, or is it one of those things you should cycle, and take designed breaks from ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm curious how many people here take kava on a daily basis, and long-term, with no "planned breaks" ?
Is it considered safe for long-term daily use, or is it one of those things you should cycle, and take designed breaks from ?
Most of the long time regulars of this site drink kava daily or near-daily. The vast majority, if not all of them, report healthy livers when we get our blood work done, some show elevated cholesterol. Breaks are typically only to let 'kava dermopathy' clear up...or whatever else. Nearly every adult male in Vanuatu & Fiji drink kava regularly. Kava does not create physical dependence/withdrawal symptoms like many other common psychoactive drugs or medicines. The only thing I notice from stopping kava suddenly is that I get intense vivid dreams that wake me up throughout the night.

Yes it's considered safe for long term use, especially if you only drink kava and don't regularly consume other drugs, meds or alcohol along with it.
Some small percentage of people may have genetics that don't agree with kava (or other medications), in that case, it may not be as safe.
I've been drinking kava sporadically since 2003 and regularly since 2013.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Thank you for all that.
If someone had the genetics that made them susceptible to this "dermopathy", would they know right away, or does it often occur later on ?
We don't know to what degree genetics play a role in dermopathy, the genetics I was referring to was in reference to kava's overall safety.
It does seem however, that some people are more (and less) prone to acquiring kava dermopathy. It might be genetic, it might be diet related, not quite sure. But dermopathy is a benign(yet annoying) reversible skin condition, that isn't a real cause for worry, just nuisance.

Dermopathy typically shows up after some steady amount of usage, the time can vary depending on the person. We know that dry kava powder (99.9 % of every kava you can buy online is dry) brings it on worse than fresh kava and that dosage/frequency are the biggest determining factors in getting it, along with the amount of root particles you consume. For example, "toss-n-wash" consumption or drinking a lot of micronized kava are more likely to rapidly produce dermopathy than traditionally prepared medium grind that was strained with a 80 micron or 100 micron bag. If you wanted to avoid dermopathy, then you would have to cycle your usage, or only drink small daily amounts. There is no guaranteed cycle to avoid it, you'd have to experiment to find what works for you, but drinking it everyday will almost certainly bring it on eventually...the higher the dose, the more severe and quickly it will come on.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
if you need to take a break, you should take a break. If you don't, then it's optional. Listen to the kava, if it says don't drink, then don't drink, even if you can't think of any reason other than "the kava told me not to."

That said, I drink every day and don't take breaks. But I drink what some call "weak" kava.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking most nights since 1995 and have had no Ill effects. I had a full liver check and ultrasound recently and its all good. As Shakas mentioned, the only time I stop is when I get bad dermo which for me is eye related these days more than skin for some reason.
Drink as often as you like! Its great!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

kalmia_latifolia

Dad, scientist, gardener, living in the SE USA
Why do you say it is weak, Krunkie? From what I've read you drink a pretty decent amount!

if you need to take a break, you should take a break. If you don't, then it's optional. Listen to the kava, if it says don't drink, then don't drink, even if you can't think of any reason other than "the kava told me not to."

That said, I drink every day and don't take breaks. But I drink what some call "weak" kava.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.

I do the same as Krunkie. I usually drink daily, but strenght depends on what the kava and my body tells me. Sometimes I simply don’t feel like it.

Listen to your intuition. Hope this helps. :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Why do you say it is weak, Krunkie? From what I've read you drink a pretty decent amount!
It's only weak on the Shakas scale, but back on the mercator projection it's more like normal
I consider the Shaka-Scale to be synonymous with the Vanuatu-scale. Krunkie's-scale is more akin to the Fijian or Tongan-scale.
Considering that Krunkie McKrunkface drinks kava all day long, his low doses make sense and do actually add up over the course of the day. Where as in Vanuatu or the sɥɐʞɐs archipelago, we'd save all those little daytime doses and turn them into to one big dose in the evening. Krunkie McKrunkface is among a lucky group of people who can buy 'weak kava', like Best Fiji Kava, then make a 'weak batch' like 2 or 3 tablespoons and get a very perceptible and pleasant experience from it. I'm not sure I'd call that normal though, but I do think it's a great advantage. :D ::KavaChug::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I consider the Shaka-Scale to be synonymous with the Vanuatu-scale. Krunkie's-scale is more akin to the Fijian or Tongan-scale.
Considering that Krunkie McKrunkface drinks kava all day long, his low doses make sense and do actually add up over the course of the day. Where as in Vanuatu or the sɥɐʞɐs archipelago, we'd save all those little daytime doses and turn them into to one big dose in the evening. Krunkie McKrunkface is among a lucky group of people who can buy 'weak kava', like Best Fiji Kava, then make a 'weak batch' like 2 or 3 tablespoons and get a very perceptible and pleasant experience from it. I'm not sure I'd call that normal though, but I do think it's a great advantage. :D ::KavaChug::
fwiw ftr typically the way it works is I use 4 TBS grind to make up a litre in 2 washes, 500 ml on the first and 400 on the second. Throw the makas in the freezer to accumulate for 4 mor washes of mongrel grog. With that litre I made, I just start drinking it until I feel like I want to. Might take 4 oz, ight take the whole jar.

Generally, I drink 2 to 3 litres of grog a day. I try to make every grog, regardless of wash, the same strength, simply by adjusting ratios. I drink about 3 pounds a month of medium grind. But, as is clear, I drink all day every day, just listening to the kava as to how much and when and what speed. The kava NEVER steers me wrong.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
When do you start drinking kava though @Krunkie McKrunkface because I too drink all day but I start generally a little after breakfast .. I can't just start the day with kava without food being right up asap after drinking it or else I crash after the initial this is the best herb in the world feeling lol. ( because my stomach is so empty )

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
When do you start drinking kava though @Krunkie McKrunkface because I too drink all day but I start generally a little after breakfast .. I can't just start the day with kava without food being right up asap after drinking it or else I crash after the initial this is the best herb in the world feeling lol. ( because my stomach is so empty )
I don't actually have to be awake to start drinking kava, I can do it in a liminal state of consciousness, just like with the kava zombie walk urination, but certainly when I'm awake is soon enough. The only thing is on the other end, I always try to leave at least an hour gap between the last shell and beddie-byes. It doesn't always happen but I am pretty good about it, and the longer the gap the better. Oh, I do get that same feeling you do, the "this is the best herb in the world feeling " and got that with a real wallop this morning on a minute amount of very powerful mongrel 3rd wash. I just don't get a crash after the initial feeling. I'm not saying I stay at that level of pure joy all day, I tend to gently settle down to a comfortable plateau for work.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's the answer I was hoping for :p
I'm going to give it a go today, as in right now, because today as my day off I have just awoken and the first q came from the first morning poo .. good day

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Yep! Everyday is all good. I am a moderate almost daily drinker. I probably average two large shells of very strong kava everyday. We have about 20 customers at our kava bar that come in daily, some drinking up to 10 strong shells a day or more. We have dozens more that drink kava probably around five days a week. I haven't heard of any negative effects aside from occasional dermopathy and nausea from overdoing it. Chug away!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Drinking all day is also a lot of work.
How much kava do you all prep ahead of time ? A day's worth, or more ?
I can prep a half gallon of grog in under 5 minutes with very very little effort thanks to the genius of the AluBall.

Even the mongrel grog I make from freezer makas takes half the time of kneading as trad prepping dry medium grind. Seriously, a big bag of freezer makas will make me 1/2 gallon of monster grog in 5 minutes of kneading, vs 10 with trad prep. As for the flakes and powder, just the time it takes to pour the sediment on a plate and later to scrape it off with a spoon.

I spend very very little time and effort preparing kava. I make a gallon of mongrel grog twice a week. That's the only thing that takes time and that is still not so much. 5 minutes of kneading for each of 4 washes, more if I space out and just keep kneading without paying attention.

tallguy

Kava Curious
As a newbie, can I ask you how you drink your kava around meal times? Tomorrow will be my first day with kava.
I've read to wait a couple of hours after eating.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
As a newbie, can I ask you how you drink your kava around meal times? Tomorrow will be my first day with kava.
I've read to wait a couple of hours after eating.
in general you will get stronger effects on an empty stomach. In my case, I drink so much kava so often I just completely ignore any "rules" about eating and just eat whenever I feel like it. But I understand you are just starting out and eager to provoke effects for the first time, so in your case you probably want to fast for 4 hours or so before drinking any kava. And remember to pace yourself. If you aren't getting an effect, don't just suddenly drink more. Wait 20 minutes, THEN drink more. Particularly with those new to kava it can usually take 20 - 30 minutes before effects kick in, even up to 45 minutes in some cases, but usually 20 - 30. That's if they are going to happen. I drank kava daily for 2 months before I got any effects when I started. OTOH, my son got effects from his very first sip.