What's new

how long do you steep your brew?

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, so normally I'll try to let my kava mixture (root powder + lecithin + water) steep overnight, or for at least for several hours, before blending and kneading/straining it.

There are always those occasions when I want some grog right away, however, and I'll maybe let the mixture steep for, like, ten or fifteen minutes at the most.

Here's the thing: the steeping time honestly doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but some tiny superstitious part of me is still thinking that a few hours' difference will help in extracting more kavalactones.

Is there any evidence - anecdotal or otherwise - to corroborate this?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I'm sure I'll get some disagreement here, but after making thousands of gallons of kava I've come to a conclusion: As long as you're really putting good effort into kneading and squeezing, soaking really does very little. I've never seen anyone soak kava in the south pacific for an extended period either. As long as the root fiber is getting fully saturated, the kavalactones can be extracted.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Same, although I haven't made thousands of gallons. I don't see much of a point. It's not a solution so it's not like the kavalactones are sitting there dissolving. You gotta squeeze em.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i agree...i've tried various things over the years but nothing has seemed to make much of a noticeable difference. the only things that ever make a more potent drink are; using more root, kneading & squeezing longer or using a strainer that lets more root pass through into the brew. I do still use lecithin or oil and warm water cuz it's easy to do and might help a little...

infraredz

BULA!
Agreed. I do like to soak overnight with some sort of lipid in there to aid in the "extraction", but in reality, it probably does very little. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I do it is to keep it nice and chilled when it's ready to drink (and it's a habit).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I steep for 30 minutes in 120 degree water.... With a plate on top of the bowl... In a styrofoam cooler. A little excessive I know. But I'm a little excessive in general so it makes sense to me.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'll soak kava with a course grind. It makes it more....spongy. I haven't seen a course grind in a while. I don't soak on purpose anymore. Sometimes I put the kava in water and go take a shower or something. Leaving it to soak doesn't hurt anything.

Bert07

Me like da kava
I've always wondered this myself if there really is a difference. I guess the majority rule leans toward not much for it to be worthwhile. I literally go at it from soaking to kneading in a matter of 5 minutes or so...and I still get a potent drink.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I typically let mine soak for about 30 minutes as well..more out of habit I think. However, I do have those " gotta hava kava NOW" moments, where I don't soak at all..and have brewed just as strong batches :D

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
My first experience with Stone knocked me off my feet literally and I didn't let it soak before squeezing - but then again that is the mighty Stone after all :)

D

Deactivated Account

I always give it 15-20 mins. No idea if it helps but as with others here…kneading very well makes it. I also use a stocking rather than a cloth.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
We subscribe to the "sing a song" idea. It's when someone just kneads the Kava in room temp water, as the ancients did: for the duration of their favorite song, as they sing it while doing so.
Plus points - Your singing voice gets better as you knead your favorite beverage into being. :joyful:

Ecto

Train by day, Kava by night....All day
We subscribe to the "sing a song" idea. It's when someone just kneads the Kava in room temp water, as the ancients did: for the duration of their favorite song, as they sing it while doing so.
Plus points - Your singing voice gets better as you knead your favorite beverage into being. :joyful:
I love that idea. However my favorite songs are by a band called Opeth and for the majority of their songs my hands would be tired and my throat would be sore :)

kavalover

Outsider
Well, I broke my blender recently trying to chop up some old rootlets that I don't even remember where I bought them from lol. Don't ask why I didn't just use a pestle&mortar because I'm just as confused myself. Point is, I haven't been blending. Which means I'm no longer soaking, which means I'm just throwing kava in a strainer in water and kneading for maybe 15 minutes while I watch Lost or while I watch my girlfriend watch cooking shows. off topic but cooking shows are a horrible thing for kava drinkers. Since we tend to fast a bit before a session, it's like legal torture watching them.

Anyway, my brews lately have been more or less as just as potent as when I would soak + blend + knead. I miss the gritty soupy concoction that the aforementioned method would usually yield for me (I'm weird in that I like thick kava) but on the bright side, I don't wake up with horrid nausea anymore.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I broke my blender recently trying to chop up some old rootlets that I don't even remember where I bought them from lol. Don't ask why I didn't just use a pestle&mortar because I'm just as confused myself. Point is, I haven't been blending. Which means I'm no longer soaking, which means I'm just throwing kava in a strainer in water and kneading for maybe 15 minutes while I watch Lost or while I watch my girlfriend watch cooking shows. off topic but cooking shows are a horrible thing for kava drinkers. Since we tend to fast a bit before a session, it's like legal torture watching them.

Anyway, my brews lately have been more or less as just as potent as when I would soak + blend + knead. I miss the gritty soupy concoction that the aforementioned method would usually yield for me (I'm weird in that I like thick kava) but on the bright side, I don't wake up with horrid nausea anymore.
I ended up with the worst dermopathy ever from blending kava, never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
So, i have started pre-soaking for 20 minutes or so out of curiosity. I now only have to squeeze for 5 minutes, meaning less nauseating sediment to drink. For me, that is important because too much sediment seems to take away from the experience. Not sure if it is just me or if anyone else has experienced that.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw the only time I ever found soaking to make a difference was with the blend and strain krunk prep, where it's important to blend first and then let tat sit in the blender for 10 minutes, and never less than 5, before straining. I have no idea why this is so, but I have tested this again and again. 10 minutes is best there is no advantage (nor disadvantage) to letting it sit more than 10 minutes after blending.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I used to soak for the first five minutes doing traditional prep, but I've found that it's MUCH more effective to spend those five minutes kneading with a spoon. First and second wash.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
I used to soak for the first five minutes doing traditional prep, but I've found that it's MUCH more effective to spend those five minutes kneading with a spoon. First and second wash.
Update to this, I only do it to the first of three washes that I always make, fifteen minutes each, 8oz each. Much more potent that way imo.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I used a blender on supreme a few days back, over aluball or trad. Just for a change , it occured to me that i was just turning it in to micro as there was much less left in the strainer bag. It tasted stronger but was no more potent. Ive gone back to aluball and freezing makas.