What's new

I Love Kava Friday If Kava had been the "in drug" in the 70s, things would be different ...

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Love Dylan
I've always been a huge fan of Dylan until I went to a concert of his 3 or 4 years ago. He seemed to not care one bit about anything (which I guess is his persona anyways), but it was a real drab since he didn't bother to play any of his older stuff.

...on the other hand, I just saw Garth Brooks and all he played was his old stuff. My wife is the country fan in the house, but that man knows how to put on a concert!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Like a Bowl of Roots

Once upon a time, you went down so fine, you poured a Solomon fine, in your prime...
Didn't you?
You used to chew, spit up the gruel, say "what about you?", as you gave out shells and not just a few,
Didn't you?

How does it feel? To be in cahoots, without no parachutes, surrounded by islanders with flutes..
Like a Bowl of Roots

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I've always been a huge fan of Dylan until I went to a concert of his 3 or 4 years ago. He seemed to not care one bit about anything (which I guess is his persona anyways), but it was a real drab since he didn't bother to play any of his older stuff.

...on the other hand, I just saw Garth Brooks and all he played was his old stuff. My wife is the country fan in the house, but that man knows how to put on a concert!
Yeah, this is a common complaint. You have to really deep into the Dylan catalogue to appreciate his concerts. He actually does care, it's just that he is painfully shy and his voice is shot. But he really puts a lot into his performances. His song selection usually depends on what he feels like singing at the moment.

Dylan has something like half a billion dollars and doesn't really need to tour. But he plays more than 250 shows a year. He just loves his craft.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Yeah, this is a common complaint. You have to really deep into the Dylan catalogue to appreciate his concerts. He actually does care, it's just that he is painfully shy and his voice is shot. But he really puts a lot into his performances. His song selection usually depends on what he feels like singing at the moment.

Dylan has something like half a billion dollars and doesn't really need to tour. But he plays more than 250 shows a year. He just loves his craft.
Quite frankly, his new stuff sucks, which is why I wanted to hear the older stuff. And yea, his voice is totally gone. Years of singing your heart out + smoking = not a pleasant voice. Wait, did he ever have a pleasant voice? :p

D

Deleted User01

Now remember guys, if Kava had been the drug of choice in the '70s, it would have been legal. Which means the kids would have hated it and the adults would be using that instead of their magic little white pills ... thank you very much Mrs. Robinson.
And the easy going rock song by Brewer and Shipley would have gone:

"One Shell over the Line sweet Jesus, one shell over the line"
"Sittin' downtown in a railway station, one shell over the line. "

D

Deleted User01

Dylan's voice was always described as "Gravelly". But he was music to our ears in the 60s and 70s. A folk singer who went Radical. But if his voice was gravelly back then, I know it is toast today. Smoking not only messes up your voice but it adds creases and wrinkles to your face as you age. He shows it in that new commercial he's got.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

The last concert I ever went to was Frank Zappa in Austin TX. I hate being in large crowds and in airports and I don't even like going to football games anymore. Instead, I have a big ass OLED television with a great surround sound system (I think it's a 9.2 channel Dolby Atmos system). I subscribe to Directv and they carry the Axs channel. It used to be called HDNet and was founded by Mark Cuban. Every Sunday they play HD concerts of all genres. IMO it's really the best and cheapest way to watch music. I hate those stupid music videos that channels like MTV play.

Axs also produces their own music and comedy series. For example:

NASHVILLE
Shot entirely in Nashville, Tennessee, each episode of Nashville takes us into a captivating world of music, power, talent, sex, love, heartbreak and redemption, featuring original songs by established and breakout songwriters sung by the stars of the series.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
NASHVILLE
Shot entirely in Nashville, Tennessee, each episode of Nashville takes us into a captivating world of music, power, talent, sex, love, heartbreak and redemption, featuring original songs by established and breakout songwriters sung by the stars of the series.
Never seen an episode, but did get married next door to the star of the show, Connie Britton.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Caught two Zappa Plays Zappa shows a couple years back in Richmond VA. Both were incredible shows, excellent tribute to his father. Dweezil even took the time to sign autographs. He signed my DVD and when I said thanks he said no, thank you.
I don't mind concerts so much as the interaction with people seems more chill than most crowds, well depending on genre of music I suppose.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I also have a fear of being in big crowds. It was only exacerbated after working in South Sudan, where I would have to make rounds in gigantic refugee (internally displaced peoples) camps.

I can only really enjoy a concert if I am sitting down, on an aisle seat, and people aren't acting too crazy.