What's new

Kava Terminology

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hi All,
I'm trying to compile a glossary of terms for the Kavapedia. Thought I would start this thread to see what sort of things I could get for the glossary.

I'll start with:

Grog
A batch of Kava that is usually made using the traditional method. Although commonly used, the term "Grog" originated in Fiji and is prominently a Fijian phrase.​

Shell
Refers to a single cup of your Grog that one drinks by either sipping or chugging. A real traditional shell is a half-coconut hollowed out and polished and holds approx. 8 to 12oz of your Kava Grog. But it can really be anything, like a coffee cup, a small bowl, or even a water bottle.​

I think there are better definitions than what I came up with, but hopefully you see what I'm after.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Tanoa - Literally means "bowl" but in the context of kava refers to the bowl where kava is prepared; typically stands on legs. (Not 100% sure on this, please correct if I'm wrong)

Waka - Kava made entirely from lateral roots.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Lawena - 100% Basal Stump
Cultivar - Specific Strain of kava
Chemotype - Kavalactones listed in decreasing order of amount.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Bislama
One of the official languages of Vanuatu. The name comes via the early 19th century word "Beach-la-Mar" which is a creole language. More than 95% of Bislama words are of English origin; the remainder combines a few dozen words from French, as well as some vocabulary inherited from various languages of Vanuatu. It's best described as an English vocabulary with an Oceanic grammar.
Example: "Mi no wantem bia. Mi wantem kava." ~ I don't want a beer, I want some Kava.​

Noble Kava
Noble varieties are Kavas which are high in Kavain kavalactones, and low in the double bonded kavalactones such as DHM or DHK. The term "Noble" comes from the Vanuatu island, but applies to all Kavas of this type regardless of it's origin.​

Tudei Kava
Tudei is a Vanuatu island Bislama pidgin word for "two day Kava". It's a non noble variety of Kava because it is more saturated in heavier, double bonded kavalactones which tend to produce effects that can last up to several days. Tudei Kavas contains small amounts of Flavokavain B which "may" have some negative health effects, if consumed in excessive amounts.​

ISA Kava
Isa is a Tudei type of kava which usually comes from PNG (the island of Papua New Guinea).​

Palisi Kava
Palisi is a Tudei type of kava which normally comes from PNG (the island of Papua New Guinea).​

Koniak Kava
Koniak is a PNG (the island of Papua New Guinea) pidgin word meaning "cognac". Used to generally describe Kava that comes from PNG. Koniak is not a Tudei type Kava. However, Waeld Koniak is a PNG pidgin word for a Tudei like Kava meaning "wild cognac" and is actually a wild growing Piper wichmanii variety.​

Kava Dermopathy
A reversible skin condition that occurs in some Kava drinkers after prolonged use. It results in dry, scaly skin and may itch or hurt. The dermopathy may actually continue to spread after Kava use is discontinued, but should begin to recede and disappear within 2-3 weeks (but most recover sooner).​

Acetone Test
A simple solvent test that Dr. Lebot came up with, which anyone can perform, to test whether your Kava is a "Noble" or "Tudei" type of Kava. When the Kava is mixed with an Acetone solvent, it will display a light golden color if it's a "Noble" Kava and a darker reddish color if it's a "Tudei" Kava.​

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
COA
COA stands for "Certificate of Analysis". It's origin comes from the government of the Vanuatu island who require that all Kava to be exported from Vanuatu be chemically tested to verify that it is a "Noble" type of Kava. Other labs outside of Vanuatu are used to chemically test Kava and produce their own COA. There is no standard for what is tested and reported in the COA. Common information found in a COA is geographic region of harvest, age of root, chemotype, Kavalactone percentages, microscopy for adulterants, HPTLC for positive ID and Flavokavain levels, microbiological reports, as well as heavy metals and pesticide screening.​

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Kavasseur
A term to describe an experienced Kava drinker who understands and appreciates all the subtleties of the effects derived from consuming various Kava products. Douglas La Rose is the "original" grand-master of all Kavasseurs.​

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Where are you getting the koniak info from? I was under the impression that its literally pidgin for "wild cognac" and refers to kava in general.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Where are you getting the koniak info from? I was under the impression that its literally pidgin for "wild cognac" and refers to kava in general.
I got it from an old Yuku post by Justin from BKH. (Sorry don't have a link to it).

If you have a better definition, no worries. I'm just making this stuff up as I go along (although I really am trying to be accurate). Any help would be most appreciated. Maybe you could combine the two? or come up with a replacement for mine? (y)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Nubie
A pidgin term that describes a person new to Kava. It is not a slight on the person to call them a Nubie. It just simply implies, the person is someone who doesn't understand Kava really well yet and is inexperienced in preparing and consuming Kava. In fact this site loves to see Nubies become members!!
Root or Rooted
Kava refers to the products that are made from the Piper methysticum plant. All Kava should come from only the roots of the plant, and not the leaves or stems. The leaves or stems are known to have a level of toxicity that should "always" be avoided. Saying "that is some good root" means it's good Kava. Saying "I'm really rooted" means they are enjoying good effects from the Kava they are consuming.​

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
I got it from an old Yuku post by Justin from BKH. (Sorry don't have a link to it).

If you have a better definition, no worries. I'm just making this stuff up as I go along (although I really am trying to be accurate). Any help would be most appreciated. Maybe you could combine the two? or come up with a replacement for mine? (y)
Hey awesome thread!!! @HeadHodge . Great Idea!!!

I really need to find out if Koniak is actually tudei or not. (the koniak from BKH), as im about to throw out 450 Grams of Super Fresh Kava. lol.
I might create a thread, to avoid going off topic in here. But i didnt want to create a thread just for that, but it looks like im going to have to.

But like Kavadude said, i also though Koniak was another word for ''Wild Cognac''

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hey awesome thread!!! @HeadHodge . Great Idea!!!

I really need to find out if Koniak is actually tudei or not. (the koniak from BKH), as im about to throw out 450 Grams of Super Fresh Kava. lol.
I might create a thread, to avoid going off topic in here. But i didnt want to create a thread just for that, but it looks like im going to have to.

But like Kavadude said, i also though Koniak was another word for ''Wild Cognac''
Well just to make sure you understand that I "am not" referring to BHK's Koniak product they sell. I'm referring to the term as is used in PNG by the locals there. I have no idea what is in their product, other than what they state on their website.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Krunked
A term to describe the inebriating effect one can get from consuming Kava in excess. Some people strive to get "Krunked", while others frown on it and believe it's an abuse of Kava consumption.​

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Strainer
A strainer is any porous material that is used during Kava preparation to help separate the Kava lactones from the Kava root pulp. Common strainers used are Fijian bags, Muslin bags, hops strainers, T-Shirts, nylon pantyhose, fine paint strainers, to mention a few. The extracted Kava lactones are consumed and the Kava root pulp is usually discarded.
Traditional Method
This refers to preparing your Kava as closely as possible to the way the Pacific islanders, from long ago, prepared their Kava. There are many variations to preparing Kava, but the most common one, and most "traditional", is to place your Kava in a strainer, in a bowl of fresh water and then for a period of time, continuously knead, massage, and squeeze the Kava that's in the strainer and covered in the water until as many Kava lactones are extracted from the Kava root as possible.​

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oily - The term used to reference a kava's texture when kneading in a strainer bag. Akin to squeezing a bag of wet clay. Normally the root is massaged until this is no longer detectable and it feels more gritty than oily.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Koniak - "Waeld Koniak," a pidgin term from Papua New Guinea meaning "wild cognac." Refers to kava in general.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Reading through some old posts, I may actually be wrong on this. If someone has a copy of the Pacific Elixir handy it would be good to check it on what strains come from PNG.