What's new

Kava Terminology

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava That's not true, and doesn't seem to make sense, first you say "there are 0 called Koniak", then you say "only one is called Koniak". "Koniak" is a term the people of PNG sometimes use for all kava, kind of like Fijians sometimes call kava "grog". There does also happen to be a variety of wichmanii called "Waeld Koniak", that if made into a drink, a Papuan may call Koniak, before vomiting of course. All of my PNG contacts, including suppliers and farmers, sometimes refer to kava as "koniak" so with all do respect, I'm going to go with what they say. Aloha nui loa back at ya bra. Shootz.

@Bula Kava House Hi Judd, my mistake, I meant to say "one" not "o".
I have a keyboard that sticks sometimes, sorry for the confusion, but everything I say is true and I have the literature to prove it. I stick to every thing kava-related.

I am here to spread the truth about kava. These names I listed came from Dr. Lebot and he got it from the locals. The locals told Dr. Lebot what the names of the cultivars that he was studying and it is clear. Dr. Lebot's work has names of many many different kava's from all over the Pacific, why would PNG be different.

My intentions are not to cause irritation but to let people know the truth about kava.

You said this--- "All of my PNG contacts, including suppliers and farmers, sometimes refer to kava as "koniak" That word "sometimes" indicates that you think that it is not called that all the time by everyone.
Here is a reference to what I'm talking about--

This was from the publication "Allertonia By Lebot and Levesque.
Aloha.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Bula Kava House Hi Judd, my mistake, I meant to say "one" not "o".
I have a keyboard that sticks sometimes, sorry for the confusion, but everything I say is true and I have the literature to prove it. I stick to every thing else kava-related.

I am here to spread the truth about kava. These names I listed came from Dr. Lebot and he got it from the locals. The locals told Dr. Lebot what the names of the cultivars that he was studying and it is clear. Dr. Lebot's work has names of many many different kava's from all over the Pacific, why would PNG be different.

My intentions are not to cause irritation but to let people know the truth about kava.

You said this--- "All of my PNG contacts, including suppliers and farmers, sometimes refer to kava as "koniak" That word "sometimes" indicates that you think that it is not called that all the time by everyone.
Here is my proof---

Aloha.

Chris
Here is my proof---

Aloha.

Chris
You showed exactly what I said - That there is a kava called "Waeld Koniak", and no particular single cultivar called "Koniak". As I said, "Koniak" is a term sometimes used by Papuans for kava in general. Yes, sometimes, because sometimes they call it kava. I never said they always use the term.

If you want to talk further, send me a PM, which you should have done in the first place, so I could have explained things to you. I doubt the rest of the members here have any interest in more of this.

D

Deleted User01

Hmm, I like uprooted. Bogart was used 40 years ago in my day for another type of herb. We can omit that one.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
You showed exactly what I said - That there is a kava called "Waeld Koniak", and no particular single cultivar called "Koniak". As I said, "Koniak" is a term sometimes used by Papuans for kava in general. Yes, sometimes, because sometimes they call it kava. I never said they always use the term.

If you want to talk further, send me a PM, which you should have done in the first place, so I could have explained things to you. I doubt the rest of the members here have any interest in more of this.

As was mentioned in your post here ---"Sorry, just saw this. Incorrect, guys. Koniak is a pidgin term for ALL kava in PNG."

You said "ALL Kava" is called Koniak and my post shows that it is not all called Koniak. I never said there was not a kava called "Koniak", I just said that they were not all called Koniak and they have other names.

It would be like if here in Hawaii we called all of our kava Moi but we don't. Aloha

Chris

infraredz

BULA!
Thank you Chris and Judd for contributing to the conversation and adding your clarifications. That's the whole purpose of this thread is to get accurate definitions so we appreciate any and everything that we can have regarding the proper lexicon. Having a civil discussion is definitely good for these purposes!

Just for whatever it's worth, I came across these things regarding PNG kava:

From: Codex discussion paper on the development of a standard for kava: [in part]
"The kava plant varieties are select based on the traditional history of experience of safe use by each Pacific country with names in local vernacular languages of the country of origin: [...] Papua New Guinea Kava varieties (Kau kupwe from Baluan Island)"

Lebot's recent paper: "Detection of flavokavins (A, B, C) in cultivars of kava (Piper methysticum using high performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC)- V. Lebot et al. / Food Chemistry (2014)

"In vitro studies have shown that FKB derived from roots of the cultivar "Isa" from Papua New Guinea is cytotoxic to human hepatoma HepG2 cells with, however, effects yet to be elucidated (Jhoo et al.,2006) [...] We have

analysed cultivar Isa from Papua New Guinea and confirm results obtained by Jhoo et al. (2006)."

"Morphological, phyotchemical & genetic variation in Hawaiian Cultivars...)", Lebot V., Johnston E., et al.
"If it is agreed that each different morphotype should correspond to a different cultivar, then kava in Hawai'i is represented by 13 cultivars plus three distinct morphotypes originating from Samoa, Pohnpei, and Papua New Guinea. [...]Morphotype no. 14 corresponding to cultivar Isa, originating from Papua New Guinea, appeared to be clearly distant from other morphotypes. [...] Chemotypes of the studied cultivars are quite similar and only two cultivars exhibit different chemotypes, these are 'Isa', originally from Papua New Guinea [...] However, cultivar 'Isa' from Papua New Guinea is morphologically distinct and also exhibits a distinct chemotype. [...] Cultivar 'Isa' from Papua New Guinea, appeared to be the most genetically distant from other accessions with 117 distinctive electromorphs. [...] APN #7 cultivated in Puna District; ISA: named variety originally from Papua New Guinea, cultivated at Alia Point Nursery. [...] However, the possibility also exists that leaves, or parts other than roots, may have economic potential as a source of DHK and DHM for phytopharmaceutical purposes. Cultivar 'Isa' from Papua New Guinea appears outstanding in this respect (KL = 5.8%).
["Morphological, phyotchemical & genetic variation in Hawaiian Cultivars...)", Lebot V., Johnston E., et al.]

"Kava: The Pacific Elixir"
Also, for any of you, you can find text from the "Kava: The Pacific Elixir" in regards to PNG kava.

Unfortunately, I lent my copy to a friend and don't have access to it right now, but you can see a lot of good in the below link and the attached image of Appendix B. which shows "Names of Kava in PNG" [though the list is not complete and is continued on the next page which is not shown for free through Google books]:

Names for Kava in PNG-Kava the Pacific Elixir.png

http://books.google.com/books?id=wxTrQOP36NsC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=papua new guinea kava&source=bl&ots=GgZlsM2wR8&sig=jVEpecV68RQ1gScHbHo1yISo468&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SxGlU9qpNtCHogSshoGACQ&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=papua new guinea kava&f=false

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Yes
As was mentioned in your post here ---"Sorry, just saw this. Incorrect, guys. Koniak is a pidgin term for ALL kava in PNG."

You said "ALL Kava" is called Koniak and my post shows that it is not all called Koniak. I never said there was not a kava called "Koniak", I just said that they were not all called Koniak and they have other names.

It would be like if here in Hawaii we called all of our kava Moi but we don't. Aloha

Chris
Yes!

Koniak is a pidgin term for all kava varieties, meaning KAVA in general. It is not the word for any single cultivar as Infraredz and you showed in your posts. Just like the word "kava" is not used for a single type of kava, but instead for piper methysticum in general. Sometimes people in PNG use the word "koniak" for any type of kava (piper methysticum). A person may happen upon a group of people drinking a strange liquid in PNG and say, "Hey guys, what's that you're drinking?" The response (that word means "answer") would quite possibly be "Hi there, this is Koniak." That would be synonomous (that word means "the same") in PNG as saying "Hi there, this is kava." In Hawaii this response would possibly be, "Hi there, this is 'awa." In Fiji the response could be, "Hi there, this is yaqona."

I can't be any more clear here, so I won't respond anymore. :banghead: Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Judd, I only know the names for the PNG Kava strains by their botanical names. Since your strain of PNG Kava is called Koniak and I have to respect that. It is very possible that the natives or the wholesaler gave a particular strain of PNG kava the nickname of "Koniak". I have never heard it called that but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. So I won't bore you with the botanical names of the PNG Kavas and I will call the strain you sell "Koniak".
Aloha nui loa

Chris

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Kava Cultivar
A Kava Cultivar describes or denotes a specific strain of a Kava plant. All modern day Kava cultivars (species) are sterile. The plant can only spread through direct human involvement and action. Female flowers are especially rare and do not produce fruit even when hand-pollinated. Its propagation is entirely due to man’s efforts by methods of striking. From man's intentional efforts, specific cultivars are either propagated, eliminated, or cross-bred to create new Kava cultivars.​

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Root -n- rally - term according to BULABUCK which ensues after a krunk-n-nap
When I put my glossary together, I'm now thinking of adding humorous terms to it. So keep them coming if you have any other ones.
Like maybe:
Kavanesia - can't remember where you stored your Kava stash. :)

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer

that may be because a kavaniva hid it for their own use - kavaniva... term used to identify those whom are connivers and skilled in the practice of thieving kava

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

that may be because a kavaniva hid it for their own use - kavaniva... term used to identify those whom are connivers and skilled in the practice of thieving kava
Wouldn't that make them a Kavaniver?

D

Deactivated Account

Sorry off topic. I love Bislama.. my absolute favorite phrases are

• a piano is black fala box we igat black teeth, hemi gat white teeth you faetem hard I singout
  • a violin - wan smol box blong white man, oli scratchem beli I singout gudfala
  • His Royal Highness, Prince Charles is known as nambawan pikinini blong Missus Kwin
  • A helicopter - mixmaster blong Jesus Christ
  • a bra is - basket blong titi

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Sorry off topic. I love Bislama.. my absolute favorite phrases are

• a piano is black fala box we igat black teeth, hemi gat white teeth you faetem hard I singout
  • a violin - wan smol box blong white man, oli scratchem beli I singout gudfala
  • His Royal Highness, Prince Charles is known as nambawan pikinini blong Missus Kwin
  • A helicopter - mixmaster blong Jesus Christ
  • a bra is - basket blong titi
Bislama is a great language. I remember running into these missionaries in the Solomon Islands who were hell-bent on teaching some fisher-farmers in the Western Province to speak "proper English." I gave them an entire lecture on linguistics. By the end of it, I had finally convinced them that Bislama (or "pidgin") was a real language with real rules. "Maybe you guys could just learn to speak Melanesian pidgin?" They were astounded to find out the Bislama is an actual language which has been hybridized and evolved just like any other language, even "proper English."