What's new

Perplexed by Tudei Controversy

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

I took a look at the reviews for 11-year waka and there are currently seven reviews out there with an average of 4.2 shells out of 5.

I'm not posting to try to convince you to use 11-year. I respect your decision. I'm just posting this to show that others (besides me) enjoy consuming 11-year. I believe it shows that everyone has different reactions to the same product, both good and bad.

Bula
The way I see it, Noble kava has never caused people to have the tudei effects, you never hear of people saying they vomited or got a hang over for a few days after drinking Noble kava, you do however hear of tudei effects from the 11 year old waka and tudei kava so that means that just like the acetone test shows, there seems to be some tudei qualities that this kava has and noble kava does not have this problem, that is why we do all the testing we do. We want people to be aware of what could happen. So when I hear a number of people saying that they have had tudei effects from this kava and the acetone test says that it could also cause some tudei effects then I stay away from it in favor of a kava that will not give me the tudei effects.
Aloha.

Chris

Crunked

Proselytizer
And btw, [Head Hodge] so far you have not addressed any of my very direct answers to your points, but rather raised new objections with different angles. I think you've got all the info you need now, and should review and address the specifics that have already been provided. That might enable us to actually move forward, if that is your real goal.
::tipshat::

Kavakaize

kavakaize
@Deleted User and @ghk excuse me if this has been talked about on different thread.
I am curious if there is any testing in place or in future for other harmful substances like pesticides,molds..etc
Also is there alot of pesticides used in the farming process that would be harmful to the consumer?

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

I took a look at the reviews for 11-year waka and there are currently seven reviews out there with an average of 4.2 shells out of 5.

I'm not posting to try to convince you to use 11-year. I respect your decision. I'm just posting this to show that others (besides me) enjoy consuming 11-year. I believe it shows that everyone has different reactions to the same product, both good and bad.

Bula
I absolutely agree. I bought it based on those reviews! I hadn't even seen a negative word about it. But I know for sure my body is not a fan. The more info out there the better....imho.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I mistakenly bought some extract to have a vacation kava that was easy to use. I used a tiny bit a few times at work and thought oh ok, not too bad. Then I went home and all I had was the extract. I used it for the week and never felt right or felt like I had the good effects of kava. I never got sick other than exhaustion. The bummer part was I didn't get the anti-anxiety effects that is my number one use of kava. I came back way stressed and thinking extract isn't for me and I should just use my medium grind. I want Noble and I want labels.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I mistakenly bought some extract to have a vacation kava that was easy to use. I used a tiny bit a few times at work and though oh ok, not too bad. Then I went home and all I had was the extract. I used it for the week and never felt right or felt like I had the good effects of kava. I never got sick other than exhaustion. The bummer part was I didn't get the anti-anxiety effects that is my number one use of kava. I came back way stressed and thinking extract isn't for me and I should just use my medium grind. I want Noble and I want labels.
Do you remember which extract you bought? A lot of extracts are more heady in nature and can have an opposite effect on anxiety. Without knowing the product, I can't say if it was possibly a tudei. (I have personally haven't ran across an extract containing tudei, but yes ones causing increased levels of anxiety)

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Do you remember which extract you bought? A lot of extracts are more heady in nature and can have an opposite effect on anxiety. Without knowing the product, I can't say if it was possibly a tudei. (I have personally haven't ran across an extract containing tudei, but yes ones causing increased levels of anxiety)
Yeah, but I won't mention it because the owner was always a gentleman with me. There was nothing heady about it, and I live for heady, why I prefer Fijian and Tongan kavas.
I'm not here to bash, and even want to thank Doug for his blog because that is how I learned about kava in the first place.
I just want noble and like seeing the labels. I will only buy from vendors who only solely sell noble. I don't care that some people want to drink tudei, have at it. I just don't want vendors to be sneaky if they know it is tudei or tainted, then say so.

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah same here. All I know is that if tuedi and Noble get removed (which they wont) but if they did this whole movement and all the good it's done will colapse .. I know for me I'm not gonna buy a damn thing that's not certified noble by someone I trust. Theirs no reason a vendor can't release coas and certification of nobility.
And once again about the lack of effects from tuedi . It's typically because it's been extracted for its kls already and your just drinking plant matter with less than 4 % kls at that point

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I absolutely agree. I bought it based on those reviews! I hadn't even seen a negative word about it. But I know for sure my body is not a fan. The more info out there the better....imho.
I would buy and test small amounts of any Kava you try to make sure it agrees with your body. I have had not so good experiences with Kava that it seems everyone loves. Like all herbs, there are many components and some can cause great benefit or detriment to the user depending on the circumstances.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I would buy and test small amounts of any Kava you try to make sure it agrees with your body. I have had not so good experiences with Kava that it seems everyone loves. Like all herbs, there are many components and some can cause great benefit or detriment to the user depending on the circumstances.
This is a very good point and one that I made yesterday. A kava that you really like could make someone else ill or just not have the effects they are looking for. I fully intend to try all of the certified noble kavas I can get my hands on from certified vendors, find the ones that give me the results I want, albeit with a bit of variety so I can choose roughly how I want to feel today, and then stick with those.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
This is a very good point and one that I made yesterday. A kava that you really like could make someone else ill or just not have the effects they are looking for. I fully intend to try all of the certified noble kavas I can get my hands on from certified vendors, find the ones that give me the results I want, albeit with a bit of variety so I can choose roughly how I want to feel today, and then stick with those.
I think that's a sound plan. I do the same thing, except I like to try 'all' kava's and weed from there. Not a recommendation, just a personal preference.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yes, I can see the argument from both sides. If you like a kava and it just happens to be tudei then what's the big deal? For me I'd prefer to stick with noble roots because there is fairly believable evidence that tudei contains extra components over and above the kavalactones that could make me ill in the long term. Also by the sound of it the kava producing islands think the same and are actively trying to prevent tudei being exported. That's got to tell you something hasn't it? It's personal preference at the end of the day and I'm all for consumer choice BUT that works in lots of ways. You have the right to consume whatever you like, I should be afforded the right to be able to KNOW what I am drinking so for me testing, labelling and certification is vital. People shouldn't be able to get away with growing tudei and labelling it as noble. The argument beyond that is irrelevant, whether tudei is good or bad for me, I just want to know what I am drinking so I can make an informed choice. (Sorry this is a bit long, the loa waka is kicking in a bit more after the 3rd shell. Funny how that happens. It's hard to have a really heated argument on here because everyone's too relaxed ;-) )

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I personally prefer heady to balanced day time kava. Because tudei is usually so much on the heavy side, I end up avoiding most tudei products automatically anyways.

I really do desire to be hunched back tudei freakazoid, but it just wasn't meant to be for me. :)

Megan

Kava Enthusiast
I did buy the smallest available and have been. My problem with the 11YW is not the immediate effects as much as the feeling shitty for 24 hours+. For example moi is not my favorite, but at least I could finish my sample pack of it knowing I wouldn't pay for it the next day.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's fine if you're not too sensitive to tudei but if you are and you follow someone's recommendation you can end up feeling really horrible. It's just clear to me, know what you are selling and label it appropriately so that consumers have a choice.