What's new

Still no kava :(

Kajsa Kavat

Kava Curious
Most kavalactones in the kava plant aren't water-soluble but they ARE fat-soluble. Eating greasy food or chasing your grog with a beverage containing fat like milk can get some of those kavalactones activated.
Ah, of course! Thank you, that's a great answer.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
:eek::wtf::wtf: Dont do it, youll regret it. kava tastes exponentially worse with temperature.

You might try a steaming hot cup of cocoa with lots of cream as a chaser with your kava. The cream is fatty and may actually potentiate your grog to make it more potent.
Most kavalactones in the kava plant aren't water-soluble but they ARE fat-soluble. Eating greasy food or chasing your grog with a beverage containing fat like milk can get some of those kavalactones activated.
I struggle with this concept of fatty foods/beverages as a potentiator.
For me, I absolutely need an empty stomach for kava to work well. The emptier the better. The less empty it is, the less effective the kava is.
And of course fat, especially the fact from cream, coconut milk and the like, are especially heavy foods. So I feel like they not only DE-potentiate, but do so more than other foods you might mix with kava.
I respect you guys' opinion. That's just my theory, opinion, and experience.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I struggle with this concept of fatty foods/beverages as a potentiator.
For me, I absolutely need an empty stomach for kava to work well. The emptier the better. The less empty it is, the less effective the kava is.
And of course fat, especially the fact from cream, coconut milk and the like, are especially heavy foods. So I feel like they not only DE-potentiate, but do so more than other foods you might mix with kava.
Some folks will knead kava powder in a liquid containing fats like milk or milk substitutes (coconut milk, nut milk, etc), others will make grog the traditional way and then chase it with a (fatty) liquid. Solid foods are usually had after a few kava cups/shells. I don't see many people who prefer to eat before they drink kava; mostly afterwards. They may drink more kava after a meal or they may stop when they start eating. Depends on who you talk to. Eating anything other than fat tends to delay/inhibit the kavalactone absorption, so you're not wrong about drinking on an empty stomach. I try to aim for that when possible.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
One thing I have noticed and I know somebody else suggested recently is that kava magnifies the pleasure from activities that generate a release of endorphin by several times for a time period after consuming. I really believe that is where the boost comes from when someone eats something greasy/fatty or spicy after drinking.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
:eek::wtf::wtf: Dont do it, youll regret it. kava tastes exponentially worse with temperature.

You might try a steaming hot cup of cocoa with lots of cream as a chaser with your kava. The cream is fatty and may actually potentiate your grog to make it more potent.
Heed this advice! While mixing kava with something like hot cocoa sounds like a great idea, in practice it will just make you sad when you realize it doesn't work out as well as expected. Chug the kava, then sip on the hot cocoa and you'll be happy.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
One thing I have noticed and I know somebody else suggested recently is that kava magnifies the pleasure from activities that generate a release of endorphin by several times for a time period after consuming. I really believe that is where the boost comes from when someone eats something greasy/fatty or spicy after drinking.
In particular, kava stimulates the enjoyment of music for many people.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Ahh, Barenaked Ladies was such a great and fun band to see live. Unbelievably talented. Still remember getting covered in orange mac and cheese dust at my first show:).
haha! Great memory! They were extremely talened. I still listen to their music. It's fun trying to sing the lyrics along as fast as they do it. My husband said he cannot even understand the words and we are a primarily english speaking family. We get a good laugh trying, though. :)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
When I used to live in downtown Toronto and they were nobodies the BNL would busk on the street around the corner from me all the time and they were very nice, talented, unpretentious nice guys. I met up with them years later when they were on tour in Thunder Bay, they had made it "big" but they were the exact same guys in every way, same old sneakers and everything, just as nice, just as talented. The late 80's was a good time for bands to come out of Scarberia, like the Rheostatics, another swell bunch of guys.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
When I used to live in downtown Toronto and they were nobodies the BNL would busk on the street around the corner from me all the time and they were very nice, talented, unpretentious nice guys. I met up with them years later when they were on tour in Thunder Bay, they had made it "big" but they were the exact same guys in every way, same old sneakers and everything, just as nice, just as talented. The late 80's was a good time for bands to come out of Scarberia, like the Rheostatics, another swell bunch of guys.
Agree 100%. I live just a bit across the border from Toronto and saw them a few times before they got big, once or twice when they were popular, and then again after they went back down the popularity slide. Never met them in person, but they always seemed very down to earth and just plain fun. I would love when they would just randomly throw covers of other bands into the middle of their gigs and mix it all up - sometimes it sounded better than the original.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Hi kavanauts,
In my last thread I told you that I'm waiting patiently (and excitingly) for my package from Cactus Kava to reach me here in Sweden. But now its been a month and I haven't heard from neither USPS, the swedish customs or the swedish mail service.

I'm not sure how long it usually takes to ship from US to Sweden but the last update I got about the package was from USPS on the 26th of september and it said "Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility". The customs here in Sweden always call you or send a mail if they have confiscated the package. So there is many potential explanations to this situation. Maybe my package simply got lost on its route to Sweden. Or the customs has confiscated it but failed to inform me (highly unlikely though possible). Or hopefully it's on its way.

What do you think I should do? Should I wait a bit longer to see if the package arrives or just make another order using stackry this time? The problem is partly economical (I'm a poor student) but also about me not wanting to order more kava if the customs have already confiscated the first one and thus give customs more reasons to become suspicious. Someone who got any advice or ideas?
I really want my kava. I'm getting impatient. I'm sitting over here in Sweden, cold and miserable, drooling when reading your reviews about different kavas.
So...still no kava ?

Or...kava ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Ahh, Barenaked Ladies was such a great and fun band to see live. Unbelievably talented. Still remember getting covered in orange mac and cheese dust at my first show:).
*Kraft dinner dust ;)

Ho dee oaten doaten day, ho dee oaten day, ohhh.
Ho dee oaten doaten day, kneading up more kaaaavaaaa!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
*Kraft dinner dust ;)

Ho dee oaten doaten day, ho dee oaten day, ohhh.
Ho dee oaten doaten day, kneading up more kaaaavaaaa!
Correct. That’s how we identify invading nazis trying to pass. They’ll say “I need a napkin for my Mac n cheese. And some beers.” In Canada, beer is like fish, same in singular and plural. 5 beer would mean 5 beers but 5 beers would mean 5 beers but each is a different brand or type. So Americans who think they can just move to Canada, it’s not so easy. Thank you kindly. Eh?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
In Canada, beer is like fish, same in singular and plural. 5 beer would mean 5 beers but 5 beers would mean 5 beers but each is a different brand or type. So Americans who think they can just move to Canada, it’s not so easy. Thank you kindly. Eh?
So when an english-speaking American goes through customs and immigration at the Canadian airport or border, they must need an interpreter...eh ?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So when an english-speaking American goes through customs and immigration at the Canadian airport or border, they must need an interpreter...eh ?
well, there are some cultural differences, some misunderstandings, but in general Americans are very welcome and treated well. Back in Nova Scotia where you couldn't drink on Sundays except at a restaurant with a food order, you'd go to the restaurant and order a cheeseburger and a half dozen cold ones (just what you need when it's -35C, geez I could go afor a cold one, eh?). They'd bring you a beer and a cheeseburger that was cooked back in 1957 to sit in front of you while you drink, for the benefit of any RCMP wandering in. Only trouble is occasionally American tourists would eat it, and then they'd have to start again with a new one. Stuff like that. Or not knowing that every sidewalk in Montreal in summer since 1967 reeks of cannabis and no one notices or cares! It's Montreal.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
well, there are some cultural differences, some misunderstandings, but in general Americans are very welcome and treated well. Back in Nova Scotia where you couldn't drink on Sundays except at a restaurant with a food order, you'd go to the restaurant and order a cheeseburger and a half dozen cold ones (just what you need when it's -35C, geez I could go afor a cold one, eh?). They'd bring you a beer and a cheeseburger that was cooked back in 1957 to sit in front of you while you drink, for the benefit of any RCMP wandering in. Only trouble is occasionally American tourists would eat it, and then they'd have to start again with a new one.
Ha, they must be those kind of restaurants have a glass display case of samples of cooked dishes that's sat there and gotten cold and dry, for new customers to look at and decide. They can just pull one of those for the RCMP trick.