What's new

The taste !!! UGGHHHH

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Hi, and sorry I ommitted (left out) my typical warm welcome to the forum here, it's a lovely warm and friendly cove of the internet, choc full of very wise and knowledgable, open minded members with so much experience to share.

So you asked good questions, not at all dim but very worthy, as there was actually a very specific context I commented on to the member @ThatDankK . We chatted numerous times about Kava and various other psychoactive substances, and he expressed his wish that he was able to experience stronger psychoactive effects from Kava, as I described experiencing myself.

So it just occurred to me, as this member above discloses how he uses Lemon to help with taste, that if citrus fruits do actually diminish the psychoactive, as in, drug like, mind and mood altering effects of kava, the lemon he uses may possibly be blocking the full action of the Kavalactones.

It was just a consideration.

Now your other good question- whether it is a good or bad thing to reduce psychoactive effects:

Generally, people are disappointed when Kava does not affect them psychoactively as much as it appears to with others.

But with any medicinal AND psychoactive herb or remedy, in some cases wherevthe medicinal benefits are the primary aim, it could be appreciated to reduce the psychoactive effects while still receiving the full medicinal support.

Sorry for the confusion, you were right to ask for some elaboration and clarification, as my comment was very contextual in relation to the member who would appreciate a stronger psychoactive mindset from Kava.
I see no differences in potency with lemon or without. You could try it and see

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
I remain puzzled at the common notion of kava/'awa/sakau/ava, taste issues.
Let's get back to tradition- drink small amounts and toss the beverage back over any
taste areas like say the tongue. If we can get past the notion that everthing we place
in our mouth must be tasted, we are on the right track.
Dried kava is still repulsive to me even after all these years of slamming it down my gullet. Fresh kava is a totally different animal, but unfortunately most of us don't have the luxury of drinking fresh 'awa! ;)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I see no differences in potency with lemon or without. You could try it and see
Thanks for confirming that. I would have been surprised honestly but you never know and I just wanted to rule it out if possible for the sake of accurate information to pass on to others potentially in time.

Psilocybin mushrooms are different in this respect and the action of lemon juice completely changes the way the the psychoactives are metabolized.

Also I have used this really magnificent sort of colon cleanser before called colosan powder, which is pure magnesium oxide and intended for astonishing bowel clearance and indigestion relief in no time at all as well as General intestinal detoxing.

This Magnesium supplement you have to follow up with the juice of half a lemon to activate the stomach acid to release the masses of oxygen which effectively does the work so depending on the compound lemon itself can actually make a substantial difference hence my curiosity but thank you for answering that I'm glad to hear it.

However unfortunately I cannot tolerate lemon in any form whatsoever no lime or any other fruit I know of even avocados like 99% of the Worlds available ingestible foods, remedies, herbs, supplements and drugs etc I have to strictly avoid.

But...for allergy and respiratory symptom management I do take a lot of Vitamin C ascorbic acid which I personally believe is quite potentiating for virtually all psychoactive of substances.

Last edited:

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I have noticed that drinking kava that has been meticulously peeled is generally very helpful.

Though obviously nothing beats fresh, green kava. While nobody would drink it for the taste alone,it has an almost enjoyable taste

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I have noticed that drinking kava that has been meticulously peeled is generally very helpful.

Though obviously nothing beats fresh, green kava. While nobody would drink it for the taste alone,it has an almost enjoyable taste
Hi. I want to try this stuff. Sorry I live in such a fog lol. Ì am assuming you mean the liquid,, but I unferstand that your kave is very fresh.

I only unboxed my shortly awaited Kelai tonight.

It has inspired me to clean up the cupboard of multiple different cultivars running low,,on the heady side.

Just so I can simplfy things and open that big bag of Kelai, and just enjoy several varieties overva week.

It's taken me time to learn which cultivars work best for me.

So pleased to have some lovely Kelai again at last.

Last edited:

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
I remain puzzled at the common notion of kava/'awa/sakau/ava, taste issues.
Let's get back to tradition- drink small amounts and toss the beverage back over any
taste areas like say the tongue. If we can get past the notion that everthing we place
in our mouth must be tasted, we are on the right track.
Toda,y instead of mixing with yoghurt,I have mixed it with home made lemonade,and done just as you suggested "Tossed" it back little and often.I have had far greater success !

DottyLotty

Kava Curious

I am not sure (At this moment !) I will ever regard it as an enjoyable taste ! But,it`s a means to an end (Ditching the painkillers (I had for joint(s) replacing)Thre calming effect though,IS enjoyable )

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
Hi, and sorry I ommitted (left out) my typical warm welcome to the forum here, it's a lovely warm and friendly cove of the internet, choc full of very wise and knowledgable, open minded members with so much experience to share.

So you asked good questions, not at all dim but very worthy, as there was actually a very specific context I commented on to the member @ThatDankK . We chatted numerous times about Kava and various other psychoactive substances, and he expressed his wish that he was able to experience stronger psychoactive effects from Kava, as I described experiencing myself.

So it just occurred to me, as this member above discloses how he uses Lemon to help with taste, that if citrus fruits do actually diminish the psychoactive, as in, drug like, mind and mood altering effects of kava, the lemon he uses may possibly be blocking the full action of the Kavalactones.

Now your other good question- whether it is a good or bad thing to reduce psychoactive effects:

Generally, people are disappointed when Kava does not affect them psychoactively as much as it appears to with others.

But with any medicinal AND psychoactive herb or remedy, in some cases wherevthe medicinal benefits are the primary aim, it could be appreciated to reduce the psychoactive effects while still receiving the full medicinal support.

Sorry for the confusion, you were right to ask for some elaboration and clarification, as my comment was very contextual in relation to the member who would appreciate a stronger psychoactive mindset from Kava.

DottyLotty

Kava Curious

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
Today I have mixed my Kava with homemade lemonade (Yoghurt REALLY did not work for me) and in fact I have found the effect to be greater.Of course there are other variables at play.It may well be that,because its easier to get down I have consumed more,
Do you have any views on Kava candies ? Its the convenience that appeals,as I am often on the move.However like everyone else I do not wish to waste my money.
I am only consuming a small amount of Kava, 2 dessert spoonfuls is enough to last all day so ,in your opinion are the candies going to be an adequate dosage?
Thankyou very much for your input.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Today I have mixed my Kava with homemade lemonade (Yoghurt REALLY did not work for me) and in fact I have found the effect to be greater.Of course there are other variables at play.It may well be that,because its easier to get down I have consumed more,
Do you have any views on Kava candies ? Its the convenience that appeals,as I am often on the move.However like everyone else I do not wish to waste my money.
I am only consuming a small amount of Kava, 2 dessert spoonfuls is enough to last all day so ,in your opinion are the candies going to be an adequate dosage?
Thankyou very much for your input.
Kava candies from Ozia or KWK both contain 50mg of kavalactones per candy. It takes 4 of them for me to feel any familiar kava feelings. They're awesome for adding some potency after a session. They're also helpful to bring down situational anxiety a notch or two, but going for a full kava effect on candies might end up messing with your stomach before anything else due to the other ingredients.

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
Kava candies from Ozia or KWK both contain 50mg of kavalactones per candy. It takes 4 of them for me to feel any familiar kava feelings. They're awesome for adding some potency after a session. They're also helpful to bring down situational anxiety a notch or two, but going for a full kava effect on candies might end up messing with your stomach before anything else due to the other ingredients.
So,probably 2 candies for me,as at the moment 2 spoonfuls of Kava in lemonade is adequate for 24 hours for me.I think you are right, they are not the format for getting " The full Kava effect",but may be perfect for when I am out and about.I shall probably order a small amount and give them a go.At the moment,I am still playing around with doses/format etc ,in order to try and determine what is going to work best for me.At the moment though,I am confident that I can start slowly reducing the horrid pain meds within the next day or 2.
One more question,does the Kava have any build up kind of effect,or is each day starting from scratch ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
At the moment though,I am confident that I can start slowly reducing the horrid pain meds within the next day or 2.
My thoughts are with you. I've gone through the withdrawal process a few times myself. Not medical though, totally self-inflicted on my part. Had to learn my lesson twice before I finally realized "hey...maybe opioids are something I should never touch again".

One more question,does the Kava have any build up kind of effect,or is each day starting from scratch ?
Kava builds upon itself as you continue to introduce kavalactones into your system. I've seen members refer to this as the "Shield Effect". It seems to continue to provide anti-anxiety effects into the next day. I believe this is due to kavas ability to suppress certain metabolism pathways. In effect kava prevents itself from being broken down after you've been drinking it a while. This is what we refer to as "reverse tolerance", or a reduction in the need of kava amount over time. It has a plateau, and most kava drinkers reach this after a few months of continued kava drinking.

Another amazing aspect of kava is that it has no real tolerance to speak of. I've been drinking 40g of traditionally prepped root for over 10 years daily. Every day it feels the same to me minus kava's fickle properties of fluctuating strength.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Despite problems with my USA order I have managed to get some Kava from closer to home.An excellent service and it arrived within 24 hours. I read all the advice and I took it slow.I stirred one tablespoonful into a little youghurt.Half way in my body went "AAAHHH" and I was 100% chilled.I left the rest in the fridge for another time.I went to bed half starved as I was paranoid about the whole empty stomach thing.I think timings etc are something I need to work on !!
But oh dear me,the TASTE ! How on earth can I get past this ? I had wanted paste as obviously I realise its far less to get down,but my order seems to be stuck somewhere in the USA and I have powder for now.In the end ,empty stomach warnings were ignored and I had a spoonful of picallili just to take away the taste ! No way can I ever use it in liquid .
I love how it made me feel...and I am 100% convinced it will help me taper off the prescription meds I have had to take (Following pretty grim surgeries) I just need to figure out a way to avoid the taste !
HELP !!!!
You took it with yogurt? Was it like a micronized or concentrate? There are things that can make the tast milder. Try putting it on ice, or adding a little cream. Also i find a little turmeric is nice to settle the stomach and cut the taste

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
My thoughts are with you. I've gone through the withdrawal process a few times myself. Not medical though, totally self-inflicted on my part. Had to learn my lesson twice before I finally realized "hey...maybe opioids are something I should never touch again".

Kava builds upon itself as you continue to introduce kavalactones into your system. I've seen members refer to this as the "Shield Effect". It seems to continue to provide anti-anxiety effects into the next day. I believe this is due to kavas ability to suppress certain metabolism pathways. In effect kava prevents itself from being broken down after you've been drinking it a while. This is what we refer to as "reverse tolerance", or a reduction in the need of kava amount over time. It has a plateau, and most kava drinkers reach this after a few months of continued kava drinking.

Another amazing aspect of kava is that it has no real tolerance to speak of. I've been drinking 40g of traditionally prepped root for over 10 years daily. Every day it feels the same to me minus kava's fickle properties of fluctuating strength.
Thankyou,that actually makes a lot of sense.With this in mind,I m going to start tapering off the pain meds after the weekend,as I think this will increase my chance of success.

DottyLotty

Kava Curious

Honestly,I think I could stay on the pain meds for ever and a day as my G.P. just signs out my prescription each month ! I have made the decision to try and stop taking them because I HATE the thought of being in the grip of them.
In truth,I do not think it matters one jot whether this grip is medical or not,the result is exactly the same.
My great concern is the fact that my mother had what Drs termed an "Addictive" personality and I am terrified I may end up down the same path.
I gave up alcohol for this reason alone...I am now addicted to Diet Coke !!
How long did it take you to get off the opiods ?

DottyLotty

Kava Curious
You took it with yogurt? Was it like a micronized or concentrate? There are things that can make the tast milder. Try putting it on ice, or adding a little cream. Also i find a little turmeric is nice to settle the stomach and cut the taste
Its micronized ,I just mixed it in the yoghurt...it was terrible ! I am doing better stirring it into juice.
Its interesting you mention turmeric,as each time I have a swig,I have a spoonful of picallili at the ready !