What's new

Tudei is the day!

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
@Henry I appreciate that context. I see why you would choose a most cautious philosophy. I've had some dodgy kava in an attempt to save a few bucks. It kinda had a sour oily smell, almost seemed like residual flavor from the equipment it was milled on. Not my fav. The effects weren't bad, but the flavor was bad enough to lake me wonder if it was entirely edible. Bad kavas in that sense can be noble or otherwise. But I can see why you might lean toward products that at least boast some level of scrutiny. I guess if you at the point where you are finding kava with concrete in it, idk how nobility would even be a concern.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Star (shell) reviews and direct promotion of non-noble I can't say I'm leaning towards, though. Vanuatu has had laws on the book regarding these types of kavas for a long time, and I believe promotion and positive reviews of tudei is in direct opposition to that sentiment. Discussion, however, is not.
I think it's in the forums best interest to not promote any product and allow the members to do so through discussion and reviews. Having shell reviews for non noble wouldn't really be promoting tudei. The best way to deter users from purchasing ISA/tudei would be a bunch of 1 shell reviews. On the other hand, if those products are well reviewed, there won't be as much of a divide because the noble only side will have to acknowledge that some people do enjoy certain non nobles. It would also provide more incentive for vendors selling non noble to source a product that they are confident will be well reviewed.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Not being nasty here, just giving you the rest of the story in order to give you a better picture. The old old BKH boroguru '13-'14 that I bought religiously gave me the same effects until I swapped to a tested noble. Skin peeling, flaking, lethargy all of it. 40 grams. Traditionally prepared. I don't talk about it because I know what the situation was during the time. It was the dawn of even questioning the nobility of the kavas we were receiving, and just to be real I don't hold it against anyone.
I bought this same kava and really enjoyed it. Looking back, I got no more side effects from it than I did all of the other kava I enjoyed. I used to drink Hawaiian almost exclusively for a while and had no less nausea, dermo or next morning grogginess than the unknown noble Vanuatus I drank before and after. I remember mornings after drinking mahakea or hanakapi and really dragging for a while when the day started but to me the effects and sleep was worth it. That's actually something I miss right now and I've really been wondering how much of it is due to the lack of pleasant tudei blended into the noble over the past few years (aside from potency issues with young plants being harvested).

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think it's in the forums best interest to not promote any product and allow the members to do so through discussion and reviews. Having shell reviews for non noble wouldn't really be promoting tudei. The best way to deter users from purchasing ISA/tudei would be a bunch of 1 shell reviews. On the other hand, if those products are well reviewed, there won't be as much of a divide because the noble only side will have to acknowledge that some people do enjoy certain non nobles. It would also provide more incentive for vendors selling non noble to source a product that they are confident will be well reviewed.
I think at the end of the day that telling people not to drink tudei is like telling kids to "just say no" to drugs. Look how that worked out. Rather than cast all non noble kavas in a negative light it's going to be better in the long run to talk about them for what they are, more medicinal kavas that will numb the hell out of you but aren't necessarily more pleasurable than some noble kavas. They just have different uses and need to be treated with even more respect as they do have more potential to put you on your ass.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
In addition, I am personally lukewarm or even mildly skeptical about promoting kava for medicinal purposes and I am strongly opposed to its pharmaceutilisation
I can sympathize with that point. Earlier in the thread I brought up people's tendency to find kava to treat addictions/ailments/anxiety, just because I see a lot of those kinds of testimonies, but that was just calling for a bit of empathy for the folks with those viewpoints. Not promote certain (perhaps ignoble) kava per se, but at least recognize that some folks around us find it incredibly beneficial, and approach the controversy with that in mind.

I'm glad you mention that. Personally I am also kinda on the fence about traditionally non-medicinal kava pushed as a miracle medicine for westerners and their various this-and-that. On the one hand i think, "if it works, it works" but on the other hand I'm thinking "man this stuff is recreational (or ceremonial), has been for a long time" If its being used recreationally around the world, better to admit that to ourselves and allow the global market to develop in accordance with that use. Selling kava as snake oil medicine for all of life's ailments can't be good for its recognition and legitimacy

But again.. now I'm the one pushing some high minded notion about what's "best for kava", so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
On here it does seem a more thoughtful process. Get on the kava facebook page and loads of them want to get ripped to the tits lol.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I tried 1 tbsp to 8oz water on Thursday and felt a slight - almost immediate relaxation to all my muscles. It was pleasant and quite soothing and I was ready for bed at 9pm. But woke at 3:30am! Guess I had a good sleep! Made for a looong Friday!
Just made a stronger mix of 2tbs to 8 oz water. I’ve been working in my garden all afternoon so it’s a perfect time to test out the relaxation aspect.
After 30 minutes and one 4oz shell, my muscles are very definitely melting. I’m feeling it in my arms and legs and I can almost feel a wave of relaxation ebbing and flowing. Funny thing - when I stood up I felt like my ankles and feet were going to collapse under me. Like they were made of jello. Definitely will not try to do anything remotely strenuous - like walking to the couch. Think I’ll just stay out here on the patio!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I tried 1 tbsp to 8oz water on Thursday and felt a slight - almost immediate relaxation to all my muscles. It was pleasant and quite soothing and I was ready for bed at 9pm. But woke at 3:30am! Guess I had a good sleep! Made for a looong Friday!
Just made a stronger mix of 2tbs to 8 oz water. I’ve been working in my garden all afternoon so it’s a perfect time to test out the relaxation aspect.
After 30 minutes and one 4oz shell, my muscles are very definitely melting. I’m feeling it in my arms and legs and I can almost feel a wave of relaxation ebbing and flowing. Funny thing - when I stood up I felt like my ankles and feet were going to collapse under me. Like they were made of jello. Definitely will not try to do anything remotely strenuous - like walking to the couch. Think I’ll just stay out here on the patio!
I tbsp Tudei?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Sorry Started off with 1tbsp of PNG (Isa) from Roots of Happiness. Tried 2tbsps today following @Edward’s advice to take it slow.
I bet you felt fine the next morning too? There will be an upper limit where you start to get more of an afterglow the next day and I suppose a further limit where that starts to be unpleasant but it sounds like your a way off that yet.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I bet you felt fine the next morning too? There will be an upper limit where you start to get more of an afterglow the next day and I suppose a further limit where that starts to be unpleasant but it sounds like your a way off that yet.
I did feel just fine, @Edward! I wouldn’t call it an afterglow yet - especially as I again woke in the early hours at 2:30am! Luckily did get back to sleep! I wonder if I’m just getting a sufficient amount of sleep with the Isa - and I’m waking when my body and brain is fully rested? I’m definitely feeling calm and tension free - mentally and physically. No sore muscles.
Definitely an experiment to try again next weekend!

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Ive just aluballed two teaspoons of tudei. And drank about a third. Cznt feel anything yet lol. Taking it really slow ......

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Update.
I,put it in the freezer for another day. I realised it was bad timing with all the running around and driving And meals i have to do tonight. Well most nights.