What's new

What if Kava was about to get banned where you live?! :0

Bert07

Me like da kava
Interrogation time for you kavaddicts-
GOD FORBID..but think about it, what would you seriously do? If you had a short time to stock up, what and of how much would you purchase? How deep would you dive into your bank account(s)/cash stash during such a critical time? Would you sacrifice any valuables to be able to pay off the expenses (e.g. house, car)?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Let's up the stakes -- would you move to where it is legal? A different state? A different country?

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I can see the headline - Kava Banned, Vanuatu housing prices soar. Maybe we should look into starting a community fund for our own kavaforums subdivision down there [emoji2]

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Rising popularity has me worried we could easily see a ban if it really booms. I'd like to think all the research that's been done in the wake of the european ban (and german ban reversal) would be enough for the the u.s. government to leave it be. But they seem to love slapping bans on things without much consideration.

Buying a stash would be useless for me, I easily go through a pound every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Depending on strength. That adds up too quickly, to buy in one big haul. What I would most likely do, is see if my local polynesian community is still getting it in somehow. If, not, I'd probably move to Hawai'i. Although Hawai'i is the US and it hypothetically be banned there too, they wouldn't be able to regulate the fact that it grows there. It will always be in supply in Hawai'i and perhaps Hawai'i would be exempt from the law because of the historical/cultural aspect. In fact, Hawai'i being a state is probably the best insurance policy for kava never being banned in the unuted states. Not to mention, Hawai'i is a clear case of a place that would benefit from a resumption of more traditional kava drinking. The locals have a serious problem with METH and alcohol that causes a lot of theft and violence. Being that Hawai'i is sort of a "Polytropolis" (polynesian metropolis), it's forever tied with the modern world now, it will be hard to ever completely rid the problem. But we know that when kava drinking goes up, theft and violence goes down.

Samoa or Vanuatu would be my other most likely options if it came to it.

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I was actually going to start a private chat among selected members including Chris from GHK on ways I know of to get around a ban. If it were ever to happen.

I am in weekly contact with associations providing updates on the political front regarding supplements.
To some extent I am apolitical, however Hillary & her past agendas / ideas on control, regulation, and manipulation of the industry could be the biggest threat to kava & supplements if she becomes elected.

As of now I don't think we have anything to worry about barring some horrendous & public kava related incident.

Bert07

Me like da kava
The more I think about it, the idea of moving would be a more viable option. Seriously though, I wouldn't see it being the least bit impossible for it to happen. The FDA has already started seizing large K r a t o m imports with high intentions of setting a ban in the U.S. here. Not Kava obviously, but it is still in the same category as a "herbal supplement".

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I can see the headline - Kava Banned, Vanuatu housing prices soar. Maybe we should look into starting a community fund for our own kavaforums subdivision down there
Yeah, let's all buy a plot in the jungle and start a kava farm. Then you guys take turns kneading my kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
If it were to become against the law, I would still be able to use it under Native Hawaiian gathering rights. :cautious: I hope that it does not go the way that the AU went. I don't think that it will and I am sure that after the 2015 International Kava Conference people will be better educated and will also have new unpublished information about kava studies and new studies are being started too. I am hoping that a representative of the AU will attend and that they change there thinking. If they would try some of my kava I bet they would go from :(:grumpy: to :D(y).
Say NO to the ban on kava!!!
Aloha.

Chris

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Interrogation time for you kavaddicts-
GOD FORBID..but think about it, what would you seriously do? If you had a short time to stock up, what and of how much would you purchase? How deep would you dive into your bank account(s)/cash stash during such a critical time? Would you sacrifice any valuables to be able to pay off the expenses (e.g. house, car)?
I wouldn't put myself into debt in this scenario, but i would a reasonable amount in a half dozen varieties to weather the ban. Maybe 6 month's worth, which I think would be maybe 10 pounds based on my rate of consumption. And then lobby to get the ban lifted before I ran out. :)

Bert07

Me like da kava
Deleted User, that's true - it's a coincidence you posted that same reference, which is what gave me the idea to make this thread in the first place. But the point being, whether K@ or Kava, we can't ignore the fact that they're both plant substances with psychoactive alkaloids regardless. It might just be a matter of time when the FDA says something similar about Kava and however they may wish to change its label.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I picked up one of these puppies last year to help me get through the kava winter. I knew Kansas was good for something. :)

Also, just purchased a lowboy full of 50 gallon drums of Kalm with Kava concentrate to compliment my kava stash.