What's new

WHY DOES KAVA TASTE SOOO DISGUSTING!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Did.......did......wait....., yeah, he DID just say that it was tasty!

I fully agree. Nangol noble IS tasty. It is absolutely FULL of flavor. I can detect all kinds of things in there. Strong, dirty bitterness. Sweaty feet. Soil. Grassiness. All kinds of tasty. A GOOD taste? Oh my gosh no.

I've drank it a total of twice now. I intend to again tomorrow and cant wait. Last time I indulged, I made it very strong (3 to 1 water to powder ratio) and chugged the first two then sipped the rest. No mixing, no chasers. I enjoyed it because man it felt absolutely fantastic. Last time I did it was, the best I can describe it, like a fantastically relaxing and euphoric alcohol buzz but with no side effects. I can handle the flavor because I like the effects so much, but I could never imagine anyone acquiring a taste for it simply for the flavor.

My hat is off to you, good sir!
:) ;)

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
Second day newbie here, I got KWK Loa Waka and it tastes like gross pine needles. Is that normal? I have drank some rather disgusting healthy "concoctions" before, but this takes the cake! I just want to make sure it's okay. If so, I'll continue pinching my nose and chasing it down with something because the effects have been wonderful for my anxiety the past two days.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Second day newbie here, I got KWK Loa Waka and it tastes like gross pine needles. Is that normal? I have drank some rather disgusting healthy "concoctions" before, but this takes the cake! I just want to make sure it's okay. If so, I'll continue pinching my nose and chasing it down with something because the effects have been wonderful for my anxiety the past two days.
That is normal. The taste has also been described as "monkey butt". You can add a little Crystal Light Lemonade mix to cover the flavor a bit.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
@Rikki Marie Some kavas have what I call a peroxide taste to them, that is the flavor that I have a hard time with, though I can still skull it then chase after. Maybe that is the pine needle taste. I always thought gin tastes like pine needles, and could never drink gin because of that flavor.
V8 Splash or Welch's orange pineapple flavor instead of water is a great way to drink kava if you can't skull it. Also Orange Tang, or lime juice mixed in to prepared kava can help mask the taste.

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
@Rikki Marie Some kavas have what I call a peroxide taste to them, that is the flavor that I have a hard time with, though I can still skull it then chase after. Maybe that is the pine needle taste. I always thought gin tastes like pine needles, and could never drink gin because of that flavor.
V8 Splash or Welch's orange pineapple flavor instead of water is a great way to drink kava if you can't skull it. Also Orange Tang, or lime juice mixed in to prepared kava can help mask the taste.
Yes! I didn't think of peroxide, but it reminds me of that too. Yesterday I chased it with a lemonade which helped. Then I researched a little about recipes and today added a little bit of chocolate syrup with a couple tsp of sugar. Helped take the edge off tremendously! But that darn pine needle taste....

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
It's all relative. I happen to think Loa Waka tastes great compared to many Kavas out there. But the "pine needles" description certainly matches many Kavas.
I didn't notice your reply at first, but thanks. I read where someone said a strong pine needle taste could be indicative of a "bad batch." ...couldn't tell you where I read that, but it got me worried.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
All kava tastes pretty awful. I wouldnt describe it at all as pine needles though. Earthy....peppery....bitter.....then sweaty feet. Then numbness.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Hey! Take it easy. It's not that bad. A good Tongan or Fijian white Kava can be smooth and cashewy. The pine needle taste is also a real thing - have you ever had Chief's Jungle?

verticity

I'm interested in things
I know a lot of PNG exports have a strong pine needle taste, and can often be associated with Tudei strains.
Often tudei varieties have a 'piney' taste, but the converse is not true: if a kava tastes piney it is not necessarily tudei. Rest assured that KWK Loa Waka is definitely not tudei--it's tested/verified noble.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I didn't notice your reply at first, but thanks. I read where someone said a strong pine needle taste could be indicative of a "bad batch." ...couldn't tell you where I read that, but it got me worried.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Unlikely you got a bad batch. KWK doesn't sell crap, in my experience..

Rikki Marie

Kava Curious
That's why I decided to go with them for my first time, I just got nervous about the really strong taste I guess. I'm learning as I go!

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not an expert but have had around 5-6KG of Kava and i still do not like the taste at all. The only thing that kinda goes well with it is orange juice in my opinion. But i mostly opt to just chug it down and be done with it.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I try avoid the bloating from added sugars and fats. Just water man! A small amount of powdered cinammon seems to curb the taste though.

Also, the piney taste is kind of cool. I noticed it most from Vanuatu strains I believe.

D

Deleted User01

For me, Nene Micronized tastes like "paper" and that would put in the category of "Gourmet" Kava compared to most.