What's new

A Call for a Truth and Reconciliation Discussion on the Noble vs. Tudei Controversy

D

Deleted User01

Because of all the good work that @Deleted User with True Kava did, I think all of the vendors are more vigilant now and we are getting un-adulterated kava. Ya know, not all the vendors were testing their kavas but they are now. Worse case, they are demanding better quality from their suppliers. And if someone is selling Tudei with a Tudei label on it, then that's acceptable too.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I think the long term solution is education. I know this forum has been invaluable to me as I started my kava journey, however the average person won't do the kind of in depth research I did before they try something new. We need to make the most important kava information (benefits and noble vs. tudei, how to tell the difference, how to test your own) as accessible as possible. The more people we can reach, the more the whole industry will benefit, and the more we keep our kava safe from the government babysitters aka FDA. Things like Kavasseurs youtube videos reach people that wouldn't sit and read information on a forum. Education vs. ignorance about kava may decide what ultimately happens to it. Even Consumer Reports seemed very uneducated about kava. If they don't know what they are talking about, the average person has no clue. We should also take a stand against anyone or site that promotes kava as a "legal high" or a potentiater of other drugs. I saw lots of this before I found this forum.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Just to clarify, I am trying to get the various narratives around this topic in order. I'm not out to attack Deleted User, or the idea behind True Kava.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
There are a lot of complex interrelated issues here. Let me just list them without getting into my positions:

1) What is being proposed is a kind of governing body for Kava quality control. It's a body that will have no legal backing or legitimacy. The closest thing I could think of would be a "Fair Trade" or "Organic" labeling federation - both of which have usually worked against the interests of small actors.

2) Tudei is at the heart of the controversy. There is no substantial evidence that Tudei is unhealthy, particularly when you compare it to other substances like ethanol.

3) There is an economic component. Some vendors have decided to go with TK, other have decided to abstain. There are implications for winners and losers in all of this. That's bound to create huge fault lines in this community.

4) Probably the most important topic is the issue of Kava's legality. Does TK help or hurt? That remains to be seen. We can all agree that Kava shouldn't be mixed with stuff that make it unhealthy. But, again, Tudei was never the issue with the European ban. The reason that the Vanuatu laws came into effect was as a response to a completely different issue. So we are discussing regulating the thing that they got wrong.

5) I have good relationships with many vendors. I don't want to get into names and particular vendors. But I know as a significant member of this community that there is a lot of anger, hurt, and pain surrounding the rise (and fall) of TK.

6) It is undeniable that TK has had a positive effect in many aspects of the Kava market and the availability of good, clean Noble Kava.

If that's not all complicated enough, I don't know what is. Hence this thread. There is good and bad that has come out of all of this. We just need to get the story straight.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
The idea behind TK is to get rid of tudei, which is in direct opposition to your stance. TK is the catalyst for all of the "issues" you're pointing out, and is the underlying cause behind all of this.
You're absolutely right. I'm against getting rid of Tudei. As are a lot of people. I have Hawaiian in-laws thanks to my sister's husband, and plenty of friends in Hawaii. Breaking news: some people like Tudei. This broad brush stroke of islanders not drinking Tudei needs to be regarded as a false piece of evidence.

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
There are a lot of complex interrelated issues here. Let me just list them without getting into my positions:

1) What is being proposed is a kind of governing body for Kava quality control. It's a body that will have no legal backing or legitimacy. The closest thing I could think of would be a "Fair Trade" or "Organic" labeling federation - both of which have usually worked against the interests of small actors.

2) Tudei is at the heart of the controversy. There is no substantial evidence that Tudei is unhealthy, particularly when you compare it to other substances like ethanol.

3) There is an economic component. Some vendors have decided to go with TK, other have decided to abstain. There are implications for winners and losers in all of this. That's bound to create huge fault lines in this community.

4) Probably the most important topic is the issue of Kava's legality. Does TK help or hurt? That remains to be seen. We can all agree that Kava shouldn't be mixed with stuff that make it unhealthy. But, again, Tudei was never the issue with the European ban. The reason that the Vanuatu laws came into effect was as a response to a completely different issue. So we are discussing regulating the thing that they got wrong.

5) I have good relationships with many vendors. I don't want to get into names and particular vendors. But I know as a significant member of this community that there is a lot of anger, hurt, and pain surrounding the rise (and fall) of TK.

6) It is undeniable that TK has had a positive effect in many aspects of the Kava market and the availability of good, clean Noble Kava.

If that's not all complicated enough, I don't know what is. Hence this thread. There is good and bad that has come out of all of this. We just need to get the story straight.
That's a pretty good summation. The only thing I don't agree with is "There is no substantial evidence that Tudei is unhealthy". I don't consider diarrhea, headaches, or intestinal cramping healthy -- but to each his own.

I hate to sound like I'm attacking you, because I'm not. You're a huge reason for why I'm involved in this community, so I hope you understand my respect for you and your work. The reality of it is, we both have many of the same end goals:

1) Get farmers on the islands to a point where they're financially taken care of
2) Allow for consumers throughout the world to be educated as to what they're ingesting
3) Protect kava from government agencies attempting to make it illegal
4) Drink some damn good root

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Oh, I love all of you guys :)

I think at the heart of all this is just one big misunderstanding and good intentions that created unintended issues/consequences.

You know what is so awesome about this forum and the people in it. A topic can be discussed. And different people can have different opinions on that topic. And it remains logical and each person is respectful to each other. I have got to a point that I don't even read the comments on online articles or forum discussions anymore. Refreshing place.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think the most controversial aspect of it is that some people have the opinion that all tudei is bad and allowing some vendors to openly sell it has the potential to give governments the excuse to ban it again whereas some people believe some tudei is fine or even all tudei is fine as it should be down to personal choice about what you drink. I tend towards the latter as long as that keeps tudei kava away from the noble kava and everyone actually does have the choice about which they drink. I've always just been concerned with drinking good kava that treats me nicely. I can't say I've ever knowingly had tudei although I have some suspicions but everything I hear about it including the science no matter how sketchy leads me to believe that I only want to drink noble kava. Any discussion that gets us nearer to the goal of all labelled nobles actually being 100% noble is useful.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor

1. TK has never proposed to to become a "governing body". Merely a grass root community quality watchdog. There are hundreds of such organisations in all sorts of markets. Their legitimacy always rests solely on the trust and support of those who choose to follow their recommendations. Far from seeking to establish an unaccountable monopoly, Garry has been almost desperately calling for more people to follow his lead or to help him with his testing. Nobody has been willing/able to help him or run a similar service.
So, what's your proposal? Garry should stop testing? People should stop testing? People should stop trusting tests? What's the actual message that you have? You claim you just want to hear different "narratives", but then imply that the only volunteer who's been doing testing for the community is the equivalent of some federation that you "have worked against" and that you oppose. This suggests that you do oppose Garry's voluntary and generous testings in the name of... what? Vendors that fail tests?

One of the vendors who kept failing tests came here once and pleaded for the standards to be lowered and not to publish up to 25% spiking (or whatever that was) as "spiked" because he wasn't able to get anything better. Would you argue that Garry and other tests should have said "yea mate, sure, no worries, we will now be claiming that 25% of spiking is fine and will label it as 100% noble because otherwise you lose your customers, no worries mate. It doesn't matter that people like Mike etc have been able to find 100% noble, you are right that we should protect your business, mate, it's obviously way more important than your customers". ?

2. Not only tudei. Stems, leaves, peelings have also been seen as a problem. There are still vendors who sell kava stems! But yes, tudei is also a big issue. You claim that there is no substantial evidence to suggest it's unhealthy. There are strong indications that it might be substantially less safe than noble though as highlighted by virtually all kava scientists. A few quotes (from TK's website):

"In the case of kava, the determination of suitable qualities is reflected by the secular experience in the Pacific. In this region, experience tells that noble cultivars are safe and deliver the appropriate physiological effects with no hang-over. However, experience with two-days cultivars, indicates that they might possibly be connected with observations of liver toxicity."
Dr. Vincent Lebot, "Detection of flavokavins (A, B, C) in cultivars of kava using HPTLC", 2013

"Noble cultivars are considered by Pacific practitioners as the safest as no incidences of liver toxicity has been linked to their traditional social use."
Angelique F. Showman et al "Contemporary Pacific and Western perspectives on `awa (Piper methysticum) toxicology", 2014

“Calculations and comparison of known toxicity data with flavokavin contents of noble and two-day kava underline that there is a potential problem with the safety of non-noble varieties."
Dr. Mathias Schmidt, "Islands Business", Suva Fiji, 2014

"Adverse reactions emerged unexpectedly in face of the apparent safe traditional use of kava for thousands of years; these reactions were most probably a consequence of poor-quality raw kava material employed in the manufacture of a few kava extracts."
Dr. Rolf Teschke, "Kava and the Risk of Liver Toxicity: Past, Current, and Future", 2011.

Do you have any quotes that would claim otherwise?

Tudei might be healthier than ethanol. But ethanol is healthier than asbestos and asbestos is healthier than industrial bleach mixed with uranium. The fact that tudei is healthier than ethanol doesn't mean it's exactly as risk free and beneficial as noble.

3. Legality. The NZ example demonstrates that identifying risky factors helps to keep the market alive. NZ government identified that kava as a traditional beverage is safe. It noted that by traditional it meant a beverage made by water extraction of roots of the plant. It also noted that there are "undrinkable" kava varieties, but it considered that traditional drinkers will be able to detetect and avoid them due to their experience with "drinkable" kava varieties. So in the end acetonic, ethanolic extracts of kava, kava leaves, etc have all been been banned (selling them for human consumption). Traditional kava can be sold with a short mandatory statement: "May cause drowsiness. Use in moderation". Initially they wanted to push for that FDA "may harm the liver" crap, but decided that this doesn't apply to traditional kava. This legislation has hurt big businesses producing extracts as well as big crooks selling leaves etc (though we know some are still selling aerial parts of the plant, but at least not in the form of strong extracs). It has protected the reputation of traditional growers and consumers.

I personally believe that it is not the business of government to make men virtuous, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. But I also ultimately want to enjoy good kava. So if the government insists on creating a kava legislation I prefer that it does so in accordance with the scientific recommendations and traditional knowledge. And these suggest that certain kava products are more risky than others. What you effectively propose is to loudly claim that this isn't true and that all kava products should be seen as legit as they might be "safer than ethanol". I fear that such an approach will lead to a situation where all kava products will continue to be seen as risky because some might be causing adverse reactions.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'd like to add here a very important point. And a suggestion.

Right now, only four Kava vendors are TK certified, and Gary is not testing vendors who want certification because of personal issues (which is totally understandable).

For the meantime, we should ignore TK certification. If not all vendors can get tests done, then none should claim TK certification. It totally skews the market and gives certain vendors - all of whom I like, by the way - an advantage.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'd like to add here a very important point. And a suggestion.

Right now, only four Kava vendors are TK certified, and Gary is not testing vendors who want certification because of personal issues (which is totally understandable).

For the meantime, we should ignore TK certification. If not all vendors can get tests done, then none should claim TK certification. It totally skews the market and gives certain vendors - all of whom I like, by the way - an advantage.
I would suggest that a more constructive approach would be to create and publish clear guidelines for an alternative way through which vendors can assure their customers of their products' quality and purity. This was actually something that TK members and many active forum members were pushing for when we discussed fusing the forum with a more "serious" idea of promoting safe and responsible kava consumption and honest business practices.
I cannot remember who exactly drafted those requirements, but we even had a list of all other things that would be accepted as as legit as TK certification. E.g. regular COAs from third labs, measurement of flavokavains if someone cannot get a quantitative test to determine nobility, etc. Plus Garry offered to provide all methodology, software, guidance etc to anyone else keen to establish either a testing project or who might need to give those to their lab.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'd be cool with that.

I would, however, like there to be a lift on the ban to certify vendors who sell labeled Tudei. I think vendors should be able to sell Tudei and Noble Kavas and get their Nobles certified. Would that work for everyone?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'd be cool with that.

I would, however, like there to be a lift on the ban to certify vendors who sell labeled Tudei. I think vendors should be able to sell Tudei and Noble Kavas and get their Nobles certified. Would that work for everyone?
Is there a "ban" on such vendors?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
That was how I understood it. TK wasn't certifying any Kavas if a vendor had any Tudei in their lineup. I thought that was why Bula Kava House and TK had a big falling out?

verticity

I'm interested in things
That was how I understood it. TK wasn't certifying any Kavas if a vendor had any Tudei in their lineup. I thought that was why Bula Kava House and TK had a big falling out?
Yes, true, that is TK's policy. TK and BKH are not exactly friendly because BKH was selling Koniak without telling people it was tudei. BKH gets their testing done by the AKA, they don't need, and probably don't want, TK's certification.