What's new

One Shell of Bad Tudei....

verticity

I'm interested in things
To your point though, does it shock you that I would drink a totally nasty, poisononous Kava and finally see what really bad wild Tudei feels like? Does it shock you that I could see this along a continuum? I think the genetic variability of Kava is quite a difficult subject for people who want to think in terms of black and white.

Also, if I felt ill and blamed it on the Kava, is that unacceptable? A mistake? Surely
Scientists who have actually studied the genetic variability of kava have found that kava varieties do in fact form natural and distinct genetic groups depending on whether they are noble or tudei, and also where they are from. Basically, there are genetically distinct groups for Vanuatu Nobles, Vanuatu Two Days, Polynesian Nobles, PNG Two Days, and wiichmannii. So not black and white, but roughly 5 distinct groups. It is not a continuum, as your intuition might suggest.
Read all about it here:
Vandenbroucke, Henri, et al. "Comparative analysis of genetic variation in kava (Piper methysticum) assessed by SSR and DArT reveals zygotic foundation and clonal diversification." Genome 58.1 (2015): 1-11.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I think the stuff I drank at Purple Lotus was either wild Kava (wichimanii) dug up and offloaded onto American markets, or it was simply spoiled and thus poisonous

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
This wasn't just crazy. This was toxic. It made me feel really ill for a few hard hours
What did it look like ? Those effects sound more like K@ to me and K@ tastes incredibly bad. Tudei effects in my experience are felt for Two days.If I drank some Friday I might be okay to work Monday. K@ is also a potentiator so you would feel the kava effect much more strongly for 3 or 4 hours.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I find it sad that you feel the need to attack my "credibility."

My 8+ year blog, with hundreds of hits per day, is enough to validate me as a "credible" reviewer.

I never claimed to be a scientist. I'm a guy who drinks Kava and blogs about it.

@Myk I did think of the possibility of K@ contamination. But I specifically told them I want only Kava and watched the scoop it into the shell. Of course, it's possible there was K@ in the shell. I've never done K@ so I have no idea how it feels. This Kava gave me a similar reaction to Hanakapi'Ai by GHK - jumpy vision, nausea, and irritability.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I've drunk my share of two-day kava. Before I found this site all I ever drank was Kona Kava Farm kava, which according to Deleted User and others is always a two-day kava. That said, I have never had any of their two-day kava that messed up my vision or made me confused. At most, two-day made me feel really groggy with very little headiness.

I'm thinking they may have served you the wild wichmanii kava, which I have read is truly toxic stuff.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
No, it doesn't sound like it might be the case.

"'Humans can't become infected with this parasite unless they eat an undercooked or raw snail,' said Heather Walden, the study's lead author and a professor of parasitology at University of Florida's College of Veterinary Medicine."

verticity

I'm interested in things
It sounds like this might be the case, I'd definitely get checked out
That was just kind of a sick joke on my part... I don't really believe that is likely.. I was referring to a recent case where some people did get rat lungworm disease from kava in Hawaii, but in that case they had left an uncovered bucket of kava out for some time in an infested area.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@verticity Yeah, a day of Noble Kava drinking can give me those adverse effects as well. But this was after a pretty steady intake of Noble Kava where I wasn't "building up" to that point. Of course, it could be that it was a coincidence and I got the eye jumps at the time right after drinking the Purple Lotus Kava.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@verticity Yeah, a day of Noble Kava drinking can give me those adverse effects as well. But this was after a pretty steady intake of Noble Kava where I wasn't "building up" to that point. Of course, it could be that it was a coincidence and I got the eye jumps at the time right after drinking the Purple Lotus Kava.
Well, in my case that point was preceded by a steady intake...

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I still take K@ every two weeks in a very moderate dose it did help me kick opiates but I eat capsules full of ground leaf. Brewing K@ tea is a time consuming affair , 3 cycles of boiling for 15 mins. straining setting off to the side. At the end of that you combine all three and boil down to whatever amount you are willing to drink, a 1/3 cup being a lot of this vile stuff to drink. It's color is very dark burgundy. I have no idea how they would mix this with kava other than just adding it into already made grog.The visual appearance of this mix would add a red hue. Also Blue Lotus and Blue Lilly are commonly added to K@. I've never experienced any heady Tudei before only sedative lethargic effects . Myself I would not support any establishment that combined these two because sooner or later something really bad could happen and get both of them banned.