What's new

We are all wimps and it seems that kava is safer than water

NotKrunk

Kava Curious
Just out of curiosity, have any kava drinkers noticed any beneficial or deleterious effects on weight?
I have been slowly dropping weight. It's kind of funny really, fatty greasy or heavy meals don't have the appeal they once had. I seem to be eating lighter meals and feeling satisfied. BTW being fat will give one a fatty liver, this form of liver disease is actually surpassing alcohol in percentages of causing liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread

Last edited:

tarragon

Kava Curious
I have been slowly dropping weight. It's kind of funny really, fatty greasy or heavy meals don't have the appeal they once had. I seem to be eating lighter meals and feeling satisfied. BTW being fat will give one a fatty liver, this form of liver disease is actually surpassing alcohol in percentages of causing liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread
Thank you for resurrecting this thread.....I like it!

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I do have one recommendation - EAT.

I went through a period where I was suffering from some pretty serious depression. I drank Kava every afternoon and then read, watched TV, or napped. But one thing I stopped doing was eating. Kava is an appetite suppressant and can fuel a vicious cycle of depression if you neglect to get your nutrients/micronutrients.

Weight loss with Kava can be a sign of deeper, underlying issues. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Losing weight by cutting out food alone does not improve your health. That being said, if you were previously a drinker it could also be your body bouncing back from carb-heavy beers and wines.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Today a Florida Man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
this is actually a lot closer to the truth than any other theory I have seen proposed.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

I went through a period where I was suffering from some pretty serious depression. I drank Kava every afternoon and then read, watched TV, or napped. But one thing I stopped doing was eating. Kava is an appetite suppressant and can fuel a vicious cycle of depression if you neglect to get your nutrients/micronutrients.

Weight loss with Kava can be a sign of deeper, underlying issues. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Losing weight by cutting out food alone does not improve your health. That being said, if you were previously a drinker it could also be your body bouncing back from carb-heavy beers and wines.
my normal weight (w)as a beer drinker is around 192 +/-7, and my non-beer drinking ass weighs 160 - 165. I think it's a good idea to find out one's "normal" weight under different conditions, so you know when to get worried. Typically your body gauges your input and output and stress and age and build and sets your metabolism accordingly. It's been doing that even longer than people in the Pacific have been trad prepping. With a good baseline you know where your freak out levels are.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Coming home from work and chugging a bunch of kava in super sessions is definitely introducing a lot of water into my system. Tho this is clearly better than alcohol, I often wonder if consuming so much water may have a negative impact on my migraines do to electrolyte levels/hypohydration followed by early morning dehydration and irregular sleeping patterns from waking up to pee. Hearing about this guy makes me really want to start being a Kava day drinker... Just not so intense...
I'm a Kava daily drinker. I drink it from early afternoon to around 7pm. Love it that way. I do this at work and home. However, I have only been daily for a month. Also, I have always drank a lot of water along with a large glass of water plus electrolyte powder. This is because I work out hard and I just honestly love the taste of the one I use, sweetened with only Stevia. That, along with healthy eating habits (all in place long before kava introduced), seems to be pretty good so far. I eat more lightly now as well. Kava sort of fills me up (maybe the fiber? even if well strained). Anyway, yes, I have lost around 3 pounds in the last month. These are the only things I've changed.

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
October 2: Florida Man Drinks Goat Blood in Ritual Sacrifice, Runs for Senate
December 23: Florida Man Crashes Car into Business While Trying to Time Travel
-my faves.

I've lost 45 lbs over the last 12 months, but this was in large part to exercising more and eating smaller meals. In general, I find feeling better (one of the benefits of kava) is a good foundation to health because I don't end up making bad choices to numb the pain of sickness.

(BTW 45 lbs may sound like a lot but I'm still overweight)

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I'm a tad underweight, but thankfully haven't lost anymore weight due to daily kava drinking. My eating habits haven't gotten healthier, but have pretty much stayed the same.

I may have found the issue with my weight recently though-hereditary iron overload. With treatment, I hope to gain some weight over time. :)

FijiFreshKava

https://fijifresh.com
Kava Vendor
...With treatment, I hope to gain some weight over time. :)
Let me know if you need any weight gaining tips. Things that always worked for me were: 1) watching TV on the couch and eating homemade cheese dip 2) Super ultra nachos after 10 pm. 3) Buying the largest pizza when it's just me and my wife...I have more.

And, never drive anywhere without a package of redvines to snack on.

Joking of course. Talk to your Dr. and stay healthy.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
hemachromatosis?
The lab report indicates this is very likely the case since other causes have already been ruled out. I haven’t had the generic testing yet but ancestry lines indicate it’s easily possible. My doctor is slow to call me back but I’ve already scheduled myself to give blood at the American Red Cross tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The lab report indicates this is very likely the case since other causes have already been ruled out. I haven’t had the generic testing yet but ancestry lines indicate it’s easily possible. My doctor is slow to call me back but I’ve already scheduled myself to give blood at the American Red Cross tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this.
My uncle had it and my brother has it. It can usually be easily managed but sometimes it can be very serious, though, so yeah, you want to stay right on top of it. Glad that you're so pro-active!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
My uncle had it and my brother has it. It can usually be easily managed but sometimes it can be very serious, though, so yeah, you want to stay right on top of it. Glad that you're so pro-active!
I’m curious to see if I’ll lose this glorious blonze glow some women would kill for. This is what prompted the doctor to run the iron test. :smuggrin:

AZcat

Kava Drinker

I'm normally someone who eats very little, often only 1 meal a day, ( like today ) but I find Kava gives me an appetite and I always want to eat a decent meal a couple of hours after a Kava session. From what everyone else say's, it seems like people who normally eat very little have an opposite reaction to people who normally eat a lot.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Tongans use a lot of water. But 40 bowls per day is indeed a large amount. It's roughly 6 LITRES of additional liquid per day. And on that particular day he had his 6 litres, plus went to a local kalapu (kava club) to drink kava non-stop for 12h. So he might have had close to 20 litres of kava on that day + unknown quantity of other foods/beverages. Apparently it takes just 6 litres of water to kiill an average person (http://www.medicaldaily.com/water-intoxication-just-how-much-h2o-does-it-take-kill-person-312958). Actually, all of the symptoms observed in the case of that Tongan guy correspond well with water toxicity that is known for causing: "headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, frequent urination, and mental disorientation"
There was this time, around the time I had just developed agoraphobia, that I developed some extremely severe hypochondria. I stopped eating almost anything except vegetables and fruits I mixed up in a blender. I also had one chicken breast per day. I completely cut salt out of my diet, and I started drinking hilariously dangerous amounts of water. Eventually, I couldn’t sleep at all, and, when I did “sleep” for a few minutes, I woke up saying “It’s the potatoes.” To this day, I don’t know what I had against those potatoes.

So, yeah. Drinking too much water - and not getting enough sodium for that matter - can be pretty bad for you. I was also tremendously fatigued, I could feel my blood pumping in my carotid arteries, and I had terrible muscle pain. It sucked.

Last edited: