What's new

My new potentially no-nausea kava (needs more testing to be sure))

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Just thought I would share my reddit post here for anyone not on r/kava

For the record, I don't think it is a given that kava beverage causes nausea.
If drinking noble kava, properly preparred and consumed.
I used to drink socially (for about 2 decades) and never heard anyone mention nausea.
Now I am more a solitary drinker of kava/ 'awa beverage but correspond with others
and still...this nausea is not someting that is I've heard others talk about.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I used to drink socially (for about 2 decades) and never heard anyone mention nausea.
Now I am more a solitary drinker of kava/ 'awa beverage but correspond with others
There's a specific scenario I've discovered twice lately (much to my dismay, lol). If one goes without consuming much food during the day and drinks kava excessively at the end of it , it's likely to come back out in around 30 minutes. It's not exactly "nausea" just more "oh, why is my mouth salivating so much....uh oh....get out of the way!"

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
The few times I got nausea when drinking kava, I would just take a certain product of Ginger Chews, and BAM, goodbye nausea.
I have forced nausea into extinction
If you don't have these precious ginger chews, just drink more water.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
There's a difference between kava nausea and outright throwing up! I think most people who drink kava will get nausea in varying degrees at some stage but I wouldn't have thought everyone who drinks kava will throw up from it. I know I have had some very bad nausea but never actually been sick. As @Plantacious says above ginger is really good but I usually find that I can ride out the feeling without it getting worse provided I stop consuming more once I'm in that state. I can go back to it once the feeling subsides a bit or leave it there for the session. My thoughts are that nausea from kava is actually the numbing effect of the kava on your stomach. Throwing up is a sure sign that you're drinking more than your body really wants/needs. Of course drinking large amounts on a very empty stomach is likely to be a hit and miss affair as well @Kapmcrunk !

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I think I said before... if kava is a teacher plant (load of bollocks) then throwing up is it's way of teaching you that you're doing something wrong! Unless that's your thing.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
My thoughts are that nausea from kava is actually the numbing effect of the kava on your stomach.
I have to agree here too, and it would even make more sense if your digestive system was completely empty.

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious

I suppose calling it a universal experience might be a bit of a stretch but I doubt you can say it's rare either. The number of posts about kava nausea is quite high and I've even seen Fijian Tiktoks joking about vomiting from kava. I think even the most veteran kava drinkers can experience it. I think it's a shame because it's put off me enjoying kava with a lot of my friends because they can't stomach it or end up feeling sick from it. My no nausea quest is mostly a way to try and broaden the circle of friends to enjoy kava with

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
The few times I got nausea when drinking kava, I would just take a certain product of Ginger Chews, and BAM, goodbye nausea.
I have forced nausea into extinction
If you don't have these precious ginger chews, just drink more water.
I read somewhere that ginger helps with nausea by speeding up digestion. So might be a similar thing to what I'm trying to do here if that is the mechanism of action. Haven't seen any ginger chews in any shop near me but I've never found fresh ginger or ginger tea particularly effective myself. I imagine tea is much too weak tho

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
I suppose i should have dofferentisted
There's a difference between kava nausea and outright throwing up! I think most people who drink kava will get nausea in varying degrees at some stage but I wouldn't have thought everyone who drinks kava will throw up from it. I know I have had some very bad nausea but never actually been sick. As @Plantacious says above ginger is really good but I usually find that I can ride out the feeling without it getting worse provided I stop consuming more once I'm in that state. I can go back to it once the feeling subsides a bit or leave it there for the session. My thoughts are that nausea from kava is actually the numbing effect of the kava on your stomach. Throwing up is a sure sign that you're drinking more than your body really wants/needs. Of course drinking large amounts on a very empty stomach is likely to be a hit and miss affair as well @Kapmcrunk !

I suppose i should have differentiated between nausea and vomiting a bit more so not to scare any kava new comers away. It was just on my mind after my own session ending kneeling above the toilet. I haven't vomited from kava in a good whole now so it just took me by surprise. My real go with this is to tackle just the stomach issues mild to extreme. As I said before it's to make kava as palatable as possible to my friends who find the nausea very off puttingv. Een when i start them light and slow with 1-3 shells they complain of stomach issues

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
I have to agree here too, and it would even make more sense if your digestive system was completely empty.
The numbing effect of kava theory was also the basis of my own theorizing . Since it takes food 2-4 hours to clear our stomach to the small intestine I was wondering whether kavalactones trapped in the starch stuck in our stomachs was prolonging the numbing and irritating effects of kava. Where as if you could remove the starch and have it all liquid based. Liquids leave the stomach after 15 minutes (instead of 2-4 hours for the starch) helping to ease the stomach.

Of course this is all just speculation and experimentation though.

Last edited:

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
It would also be interesting to know people's thoughts on the potential for lipase to increase kavalactones bioavailability. Assuming there is any crossover between kavalactones and cannabinoids

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The numbing effect of kava theory was also the basis of my own theorizing . Since it takes food 2-4 hours to clear our stomach to the small intestine I was wondering whether kavalactones trapped in the starch stuck in our stomachs was prolonging the numbing and irritating effects of kava. Where as if you could remove the starch and have it all liquid based liquids leave the stomach after 15 minutes helping to ease the stomach.

Of course this is all just speculation and experimentation though.
I think you're onto something there, personally.

In regards to adding lipase for increased absorption, I think there's something there too. Many people remark that after drinking kava they eat something fatty it potentiates the experience. Could have a connection.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Ah yes, that syndrome that numbs the stomach, that I call "Numbach"
If Lipase benefits, how about a digestive enzyme complex, containing numerous "ases" such as Lipase

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
I think you're onto something there, personally.

In regards to adding lipase for increased absorption, I think there's something there too. Many people remark that after drinking kava they eat something fatty it potentiates the experience. Could have a connection.
Well if you pass a store that stocks some enzyme tablets or if you live near a home brewing store they might have some amylase give the method a go and see what you think. I used a multi enzyme tablet myself

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
Ah yes, that syndrome that numbs the stomach, that I call "Numbach"
If Lipase benefits, how about a digestive enzyme complex, containing numerous "ases" such as Lipase
I actually used a multi enzyme tablet for this method. It was the easiest and cheapest thing for me to get st the moment. It has multiple enzymes including amylase and lipase. All the enzymes are listed in my reddit post at the top of this thread. I just crush up the pill, add some water and then add to kava

KavaBobo

Kava Curious
I know this a simple answer but, for me, I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol close by. Immediately after I consume, if my body detects a potential eject mode, I’ll crack the bottle open and sniff till the sensation subsides….works for me every time. hth

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know this a simple answer but, for me, I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol close by. Immediately after I consume, if my body detects a potential eject mode, I’ll crack the bottle open and sniff till the sensation subsides….works for me every time. hth
First time I've heard this and will definitely be using it.