What's new

Alu ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all. Im sure this has been discussed to death, but is the aluball really the way to go? It doesnt look like it should work to me. Does it do the same job as kneading? Thanks.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi all. Im sure this has been discussed to death, but is the aluball really the way to go? It doesnt look like it should work to me. Does it do the same job as kneading? Thanks.
Absolutely yes. It lets through quite a lot of sediment for me but if I keep the doses a bit smaller I still get the same effects as using more, albeit with a bit more stomach issue. I prefer well strained kava after blending but when I am working in the truck and away from home for 4 nights the aluball does a brilliant job. I've got 4 or 5 shakers and about 20 balls.

If you're looking to sell kava just post it in the market place.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
To me, it does almost the same job as kneading. People are finding that the difference between strength and time needed for prep is acceptable. I personally still prepare traditionally.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
lol, and there's the subjectivity of kava for ya :) two replies at the same time with two different results

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I think i need to try it at least. Doesnt seem like it should work - reminds me of a tea ball i bought once. But who knows.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
True. I have to keep in mind that when I make my kava the viscosity I'm looking for is almost as thick as melted ice cream. It's hard to reach that with the aluball.
I tend to use a bit more water than that but I find I can get some pretty thick mixes with it.

@Buddhacide it definitely works for what it is designed to do which is shake up a quick shell or two on the go. I wouldn't use it at home all the time although I do sometimes. I would get more than one ball... I use three. Start with two for the first two shells then add another for another two shells... you're double washing and adding more as you go along... pretty efficient I think.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. Ill see how it goes with the one and then step it up a notch. I also like a strong grog in as little water as possible, but im not expecting perfection. If it works as good as most people say it will be good to have around.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I use the aluball whenever I am using medium grind root, which is most of the time. The important points for me are:
  • It isn't necessary to buy the aluball shaker bottle. In fact IMHO it is inferior to standard shaker bottles, such as can be found on iHerb, especially their own brand. The aluball shaker bottle leaks and is liable to crack.
  • Use 1 ball at a time. Using 2 balls in a shaker greatly increases the chance of damage to the mesh, which can get real expensive, real quick.
  • Don't overfill the ball. Half a ball is plenty, i.e. about 13 or so grams.
  • Add about 400ml to the shaker bottle with 1 ball. Shake for 1 minute. Remove ball and place in shell. Replace first ball with second ball in shaker and shake for 1 minute.
  • Empty the contents of the shaker bottle into a medium size bowl. Then shake the bottle for about 10 seconds with just the ball inside. Tip contents into the bowl. You will usually get at least 20mls more just from the ball. Remove ball and replace with first ball. Repeat shake for 10 seconds with first ball in the empty bottle.
  • The whole process takes about 3 minutes, which is much quicker and easier than kneading as far as I am concerned, plus there is no need to wash a strainer bag.
  • Remember to thoroughly rinse the aluballs immediately after you have made your brew. If left to dry with the root powder inside, the mesh will be come clogged and it is a b*stard to get clean again.
  • Top up the bowl to make the mixture to your desired strength. For example, some kavas absorb more water than others. If your aim is to have 375mls of brew (3x125ml shells) you will need to add some water to the bowl.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Buddhacide it definitely works but it will give you a different experience than traditional prep. With traditional prep, using hot water, and a lot of kneading I get a very thick oily grog that is a little more bitter than the aluball. It is my belief that the aluball does not really do an KL extraction, but mechanically washes the kava getting all the fine particles and sediment into the liquid. My experience is that the aluball typically gives me a more heady kava experience than traditional prep with the same kava. I think the heavier KLs are better extracted with the hot water and kneading. If I have the time I prefer traditional prep - but with a busy home/work life the aluball is a lifesaver and tastes better than a microgrind that always tasted a bit too gritty to me. Enjoy.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer it because it is easy. However, I overall enjoy the kava better if I prepare it traditional prep. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10, with traditional being a 10, I'd say the aluball is 6-7.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Well thanks to amazon prime i received it today and tried it out with a medium grind boroguru. I was skepical because the taste was weaker than what i am used to, but i did 3 washes with it and it clearly works quite well. I got a nice little buzz using much less than i would if i were straining it. Glad to have it around.

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
AluBall = convenience. It works well too. I reserve traditional prep now for special occasions. The only real difference I see is that trad prep always has a more bitter taste, especially if it sits for a while in the bowl. Also if time and patience is spent on the soaking and kneading process, it can make stronger grog.

Status
Not open for further replies.