What's new

How is everyones plants doing

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
What's this? Have I become the elephant in the room....forgotten in awa grass lands; without even a single moi? :cry::rolleyes::p
Hahaha, don't mind me, I'm just drowning in an above ground pool made of my own tears :ROFLMAO:; otherwise all of your plants look wonderfully perked up with bright green abound and leaves standing on end. (y)
Someday I'll venture into the world of home grown fresh harvested awa, but I've yet to reach certain goals and plateaus yet; for now owning a beautiful awa is something of only a sweet, sweet dream. :love:

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Looks great. What are the exact GPS coordinates for this plant? I like to keep thorough records.... :cautious:
"Uh....yeah...officer there appears to be a man cloaked as an hiwa staking out my property and he's about to heist my awa plant......wait no don't hang up....officer are you there?"
Hahaha :LOL:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Mine arrived last week. I've needed to treat with soap spray, but other than that seems to be doing okay. Up for repotting very, very soon.

Nice little beauty. You want to PM me, on where I can get one of these? @violet I would love to have one of these. I would totally respect it. Here's a pic of my garden work, I have a great window, I can dedicate to a couple plant like this. Much love. Roaddog

garden.jpg
549899407-thumb_073.jpg
Garden 4.jpg

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Dealing with webz and tiny bugs whatever causes the webz. Also leafs falling off and discoloration in some leaves with small lacerations .

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
image.jpg
Notice the webs i clear them away they come back at the very top of the leaf i hope this discoloration is not the cmv infection or harmful to my babys.

fungaloid

Myco-nut
Dealing with webz and tiny bugs whatever causes the webz. Also leafs falling off and discoloration in some leaves with small lacerations .
you have a pretty serious spider mite infestation. the webbing is a sign of pretty serious infestation.
most big box stores like lowes and home depot carry neem oil, which is effective at treating spider
mites as long as you treat every 3-4 days for a month. be sure to get the undersides of the leaves
since that's where they congregate. diatomaceous earth is another good choice, add a pinch to a
spray bottle full of water then spray all over the plant. there are other effective methods that can
be found from a simple google search.

generally, spider mite infestation is a sign of a moderately unhealthy plant. plants with high brix typically
don't suffer from such infestations.

you all should be mixing your own soils instead of using out of the bag garbage. a good soil mix would be

10 gallons potting soil (1.5 cu ft)
2 gallons vermiculite
5 gallons compost or garden soil
1 cup alfalfa meal
1 cup corn meal
2 cups all purpose organic fertilizer (espoma brand's bio tone and plant tone are available at most walmart, lowes, and home depot stores)
1 cup soft rock phosphate (the extra phosphorus encourages root growth, the calcium helps with ion uptake)
1 cup granite or other rock dust (granite is preferred because of high potassium with a good ratio of micronutrients, azomite is another good one)

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Ok, so I can grow one of these in a pot and bring it inside for a few months to prevent it from getting frozen?

I know it's a tropical plant, but I grow lots of tropical plants and I bring them inside during the winter and they all do well, including stuff that's supposed to be difficult like orchids, jasmine, other tropicals. I'm pretty good with plants. So I'd like to give one of these a try. I'm also wondering if a cutting could be shipped to South America, because I have access to some land there where I think this would probably do ok, and maybe quite good. It's hot and humid there, being only about 8 degrees latitude from the equator.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I use a combination fungicide/insecticide/miticide on my plants (not kava, I don't have any, yet), it's called Fungicide3 and it's very effective in keeping plants disease/pest free. More effective if you catch the problem early on.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Hyperion, go for it man. That is the plan in case it freezes here which it does occasionally. It's not a big financial outlay so worst case scenario is it doesn't work out. I doubt any of the ebay vendors would ship internationally but you could either get your own plant to the point where you can take cuttings or maybe Chris can help.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Hyperion, go for it man. That is the plan in case it freezes here which it does occasionally. It's not a big financial outlay so worst case scenario is it doesn't work out. I doubt any of the ebay vendors would ship internationally but you could either get your own plant to the point where you can take cuttings or maybe Chris can help.
Thanks, Kavadude. I'm in Maryland, near the bay. I think the USDA zone here is 7b. I typically put my tropical plants outside in March and have to take them back in in November. But this last winter was just a lot colder than usual, so I couldn't put them out until April. Anyway, I have been able to grow pretty much anything that I've tried, that's not too big to get in the house. I'm pretty patient and have some skills developed over the last 30 years of gardening experimentation. My wife has actually been getting on my case lately because I bought some more orchids and there isn't any more room in the house really to bring these plants inside, :(.

So, you guys are getting cuttings from Ebay? I'll try asking Chris and see if he can send me one the next time I order from him. At least I'd know I would be getting a quality cultivar. I'll try to grow anything that's interesting, ::kavaleaf::.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Also important to check up on plant import/export restrictions as there are often lots of them, though I'm sure you are probably already familiar with your background.

D

Deleted User01

Here come mine. First the Moi and a Closeup of the Moi. Then the other Kava and a closeup of it. Moi has the purple markings on the stem.
Moi-7202014.JPG
Moi_Closeup_202014.JPG
Moi-7202014.JPG

Attachments

D

Deleted User01

Here is the other Kava and a closeup. I'm having trouble posting images but I'm getting there.

Kava_7202014.JPG
Kava_Closeup-72014.JPG

There they are. Chris, when I do I start taking Cuttings. I will overwinter them in their pots for now.