What's new

How is everyones plants doing

D

Deleted User01

And in order to make sure that it is not too rare, these plants will be coming inside when the weather gets ugly. I need to get with Chris on a long term plan for growing in pots. Perhaps one spring, they go into the ground. Then come October, they get harvested. It's a tight rope. Bulabuck and I live 80 miles apart and it does get cold once in a while. Bulabuck, we may need bigger pots and the nurseries sell used plastic pots cheap. Maybe the size they use for small trees.

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
And in order to make sure that it is not too rare, these plants will be coming inside when the weather gets ugly. I need to get with Chris on a long term plan for growing in pots. Perhaps one spring, they go into the ground. Then come October, they get harvested. It's a tight rope. Bulabuck and I live 80 miles apart and it does get cold once in a while. Bulabuck, we may need bigger pots and the nurseries sell used plastic pots cheap. Maybe the size they use for small trees.
Yep i need to repot as well also get rid of these spider mites if i can get them to make it till harvest .

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Here she is after repotting. Hopefully she doesn't complain too much

What a joyful kava plant violet; look at it just grasping for the heights. :happy:
Strangely those leaves look very similar to a plant of mine; maybe it's just a Hawaiian thing hahaha. :LOL::D
Just a couple more years and there will be many aspiring kava producers on this forum. (y)::awesomesmiles::

Poivrier

methystified
Has anyone been growing a kava plant for more than one year or did you all received your cuttings recently ?
I am wondering how kava can handle the over-wintering in temperate climates. I think that it would be wise to plan long ahead for the Winter: heating cables, lights and indoor greenhouses ! Big terrariums for frogs maybe ?
I don't think that kava can survive the dry indoor atmosphere of most homes without any support system. Could be easy with a little plant...a fully mature kava plant would be more problematic ! :eek:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
They don't handle freezing well. Most of us are in Texas where it does not freeze often and will be bringing them inside when it does.

Poivrier

methystified
I would suggest to bring them inside loonng before freezing temps occur ! ;) Maybe before the temperature falls below 64°F ?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Yep i need to repot as well also get rid of these spider mites if i can get them to make it till harvest .
Since the plant is still young you can use a soap water and sulfur mixture, make sure you get the wettable garden sulfur and use dawn dish washing soap, 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and use about 1-2 tablespoons of sulfur, spray the leaves on the top and bottom, do it in the coolness of the morning or evening, do not let them be in direct sunlight when you are doing this, you might have to do this a few times a week but you will see the progress. Let me know if you have any questions, aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Has anyone been growing a kava plant for more than one year or did you all received your cuttings recently ?
I am wondering how kava can handle the over-wintering in temperate climates. I think that it would be wise to plan long ahead for the Winter: heating cables, lights and indoor greenhouses ! Big terrariums for frogs maybe ?
I don't think that kava can survive the dry indoor atmosphere of most homes without any support system. Could be easy with a little plant...a fully mature kava plant would be more problematic ! :eek:
I know that there are people that use these tin can heaters in there green house in the winter time, they also use other kinds of heaters for this purpose, you can do a search on youtube with the term "heating green house winter" There are a lot of videos of different ways. I wonder if any would work for you guys, they were not growing kava, just veggies and other stuff so I am sure it might work for kava too. You can leave the kava in the pot for all it life but it will get stunted and not grow as big as it could, you want to always use the larges pot possible, even custom made ones will work, I made some longer ones as apposed to larger in diameter I made them tall so that it would encourage the root growth and it did. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

I'm putting mine in bigger pots. Let's see if I can nurse them through a South Texas Winter and then we'll know more about their hardiness. I have 2 greenhouses but they are not heated. Thinking of just bringing them into the rec room this year. You can always mist them. I'm sure my wife's dogs will also mist on them.:LOL: I have to go back and look at my
Awa Book because you can build very log pots with some kind of fiber matting and chicken wire. Maybe Chris can send us the blueprints.

My Elephant ears do fine in the greenhouses but it seems like the Kava Plants are my most sensitive plants. They long for the islands but they are now in the desert.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Okay guys. How are your plants doing now? Mine seems to be doing really well, loves the humidity and the loads of rain don't seem to bother it either. It's stem has become harder and taken on a purplish color. None of the bugs/critters seem interested in it, there are bites out of everything around it but not the plant. I'll take a picture tomorrow when the sun is out.

The real test will be winter -- not sure how aggressive I should be about taking it inside during the cold. Obviously it will come in when a hard freeze is predicted but I'm wondering if I should just move it into my room, we only get a few weeks at below 40 temps.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
probably gotta bring her in when the temps hit 30s-40s...it will be cool to see whose plants survive the winter. if you can survive one, it'll probably survive a few more. and then you can murder it for consumption... ::awesomesmiles::...and clone it a few times.

D

Deleted User01

Mine are doing great. In fact, I can take them out of the shade now that the temps have dropped. I'm taking them into full sun. Pictures to follow.