What's new

Kava Botany I have a new Kava to grow.

D

Deleted User01

In his “Kava Quality Standardization Code” Dr. Teschke recommends Borogu as an example of the poster child of a Noble cultivar– 423561. “Well established for daily drinking without apparent side effects and is known for its rapid effect and is...ideal candidate for future clinical studies”. Well, so are a lot of other kavas, but is is still great that Hawaii now has Borogu. Thanks GHK.
@Alis, you said Borogu but Chris said he was growing Boroguru. Are the two kavas the same cultivar?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
@Alis, you said Borogu but Chris said he was growing Boroguru. Are the two kavas the same cultivar?
Yes, Borogu is from Pentecost originally and called Borogoru in the north part of the island (or so I hear) not sure where the "guru" spelling comes from, but I'm sure GHK will confirm same.

D

Deleted User01

Thanks chris (@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava). I need to proof read my posts. Sorry @Alia for the spelling error. If you google "Borogu versus Boruguru", all the posters act like the 2 are different. But maybe it is the same cultivar from diff regions.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks chris (@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava). I need to proof read my posts. Sorry @Alia for the spelling error. If you google "Borogu versus Boruguru", all the posters act like the 2 are different. But maybe it is the same cultivar from diff regions.
It is confusing but the real source is the guy who did the collecting- Vincent Lebot- and I was quoting his original explanation on page 100 of his book, Kava, the Pacific Elixir.

D

Deleted User01

Thanks @Alia. It's written in stone as far as I'm concerned. I think at one time a vendor, maybe BKH, was selling both and that added to my confusion. Glad we finally got that cleared up.
P.S. No sooner did I post than Shakas muddied the water again. So maybe 1 is tudeish? If that is so, then they cannot be the same cultivar. Unless it is not the root, but the drink that is spiked.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's interesting to know that the two are the same. Boroguru is supposed to be heavy right? I don't find borogu as heavy as all that, not compared to say Kavafied Eua or of course Nene.

D

Deleted User01

@Edward, if they are indeed the same, then it means that 1 region has "kick ass" growing conditions for Boroguru and the other does not. So to punish the other one, the last two letters were dropped. So it sits out their in the kava stand with it's head hung low. The lowly Borogu. Poor little feller. :D

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Edward, if they are indeed the same, then it means that 1 region has "kick ass" growing conditions for Boroguru and the other does not. So to punish the other one, the last two letters were dropped. So it sits out their in the kava stand with it's head hung low. The lowly Borogu. Poor little feller. :D
Could be the case.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
When you look at the actual Vanuatu Kava Act of 2002 they list all the noble and medicinal varieties. I think the confusing bit is that some of their names have two parts. So for instance, "Borogu temit" and "Borogoru maita" are both listed as "medicinal" kavas (illegal to export) whereas Borogu and Borogoru are listed as noble.
So perhaps Lebot was talking about Borogoru maita when he called it "medicinal".

source: http://faolex.fao.org/docs/html/van38473.htm