What's new

Is it ok to drink kava while having covid?

M

mlenny

Anyone any experience?
I've never had covid and I've never seen any information about it, but my own advice would be to not add a confounding factor. With lack of any data as far as I know, if you suddenly got much worse or developed new symptoms, it would be very unclear why it happened. So I don't really know, but that's what I would offer.

Matthew

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I've got the covid virus and symptoms have been strong for fourteen days. Here is a photo of my bowl of Fiji'an Waka. Kava is a part of my livelihood, and my healthy routine. I notice I can only have about half my usual serving size, and the drying out effect on my body is more pronounced, but it does not seem to be complicating my recovery. I drink kava, eat, take a nap, all is good in the world.

I appreciate this topic as I wanted to ask the question myself.

Take vitamin D and zinc if you have covid virus. That's the best thing I can recommend.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Anyone any experience?
Probably okay, but I would tread lightly to see how you react. On one hand it might help you sleep and provide some relief from body aches, On the other hand you are introducing a substance that your body actively works to eliminate so from a holistic perspective it might be taking away from your bodies ability to fend off the virus. I would also caution if you are using anything with acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce a fever or sleep don't mix kava with it. There is good documentation that it will stress your liver. No need to do that while your body is recovering/fighting off a virus.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Mine was pretty bad. Had it September over a year ago. I am close to my normal precovid self. Close being the key term. It hit my heart and lung and the damage is permanent, but I got thru it and am still here :).
As for the Kava, at first yes I was able to use and it helped me get to the next day. When the “elephant” stood on my chest, I didn’t want anything. Nothing :) but Kava wasn’t a problem, it was nice in the beginning. I would still take it easy.

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
@avahZ thank you! I believe the damage long term will heal, although it may seem very slow progress, my father has been experiencing long term complications with his lungs (shortness of breath) since Nov. 20 2020 and he feels it is a type of scarring.

I'm back to my daily kava routine, and each day, I am "listening" to the kava more effectively. I love being able to taste the earthy root flavor while watching snow fall and fly through the air.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am taking the booster in 9 days, I am gonna have some kava standing by, just in case I need/want it. :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am taking the booster in 9 days, I am gonna have some kava standing by, just in case I need/want it. :)
Got my booster Tuesday and it did hit me harder than the first 2 shots. No headache but very tired and groggy Wednesday and still a bit muscle sore this morning....While I did drink kava through all of my shots I also ramped up my water intake which definitely helped.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Kavain jacks up the nonspecific immune system, so it is likely to help fight the coronavirus.

Last edited by a moderator:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
The virus is infecting us at work again, regardless of vaccination status or natural immunity or mask wearing. Some crew who had it in November are already out again. So far I feel well and am working again tomorrow.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I guess Jimmy isn't moderating this discussion. I think I need a long break from the fake news mentality going on here.