What's new

Kava and K@: A Legal and Ethical Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Oh, I thought I read that any vendor selling Krat online or in their bars would be banished to a subforum. Which is a lot different than simply saying Krat shouldn't be discussed here.
It's both, we are not going to go hunt down vendors but if we are made aware of a vendor doing so, they will be moved.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/[email protected]/
Discussion of k@ or other substances were never allowed in the first place, it's been allowed to remain visible because it has been a productive conversation.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/KFGuidelines.pdf

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Okay, well.... I guess a lot of issues could come up with accusations where things need to be verified, etc. before a vendor can be banished.

What about a Kava bar that a vendor supplies but who also sell Krat. Will that vendor be guilty by association?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Okay, well.... I guess a lot of issues could come up with accusations where things need to be verified, etc. before a vendor can be banished.
Absolutely, I wouldn't see it happening any other way.
What about a Kava bar that a vendor supplies but who also sell Krat. Will that vendor be guilty by association?
This is something that would be discussed by the staff and Kapm would make the final call on it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Well, I guess I'm just going to resign from this discussion. It just adds another filter for how vendors are legitimized or delegitimized.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
For every positive there is likely an equally negative outcome (or several). Generally discussions of other herbs are allowed, so long as the main topic is kava or a transition from said herb to kava. It was written this way to avoid unwanted users seeking out a legal high which is not what KF is about. You're right in that there is a benefit to discussing these topics, KF is just not the place. This thread among a few others are exceptions but they need to remain on topic as Violet pointed out.
Discussing other herbs and their synergy or lack thereof with kava isn't promoting kava as a legal high. My point was that there are going to be more people as time goes that will be interested in adding kava to their regimen and apparently if they are not going to use kava and kava alone, they are not going to be able to benefit or contribute to the conversation. Example: someone using K@ to treat a chronic illness wants to use kava to enhance sleep and relaxation at night. That's not legal high discussion. Censoring any posts that aren't horror stories or factually inaccurate information about K@ also does not help in converting people from K@ to kava. People using an herb medicinally aren't going to consider switching to something else if they can't ask honest questions and get honest answers.

Oh, I thought I read that any vendor selling Krat online or in their bars would be banished to a subforum. Which is a lot different than simply saying Krat shouldn't be discussed here.
I'm not sure about this decision. Considering much of the discussion has been whether a kava only bar can survive long term on only kava sales. I don't see this as being a good thing for the community because it will isolate vendors and reduce content shared about them. Until recently, I didn't even know N@H sold K@ at their kava bar but regularly have purchased from them over the years because they have had consistently strong kava. Now that they are relegated to a subforum that few people frequent it will become harder to find information about their products -- good or bad. On the other hand if a vendor who runs a kava bar wants to be featured on kavaforums.com so badly that they stop selling K@, then end up going out of business, then that is less options available for kava consumers.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Discussing other herbs and their synergy or lack thereof with kava isn't promoting kava as a legal high. My point was that there are going to be more people as time goes that will be interested in adding kava to their regimen and apparently if they are not going to use kava and kava alone, they are not going to be able to benefit or contribute to the conversation. Example: someone using K@ to treat a chronic illness wants to use kava to enhance sleep and relaxation at night. That's not legal high discussion. Censoring any posts that aren't horror stories or factually inaccurate information about K@ also does not help in converting people from K@ to kava. People using an herb medicinally aren't going to consider switching to something else if they can't ask honest questions and get honest answers.
The goal with these vendor rules are to set an example going forward that we as a kava community will not stand for kava bars that sell K@ on the coattails of kava. This does not prevent a member from talking about K@ and kava in a positive way. Either they made the switch or use them together. However, posts dedicated to K@ alone will likely be deleted because this is not a K@ forum. There are plenty of sites dedicated to that subject so there is a difference there.

If it were up to me alone, this whole thread among others, would have never made it this far but there seems to be a consensus in the community to discuss this. Once again let's remember that K@ is not legal for human consumption in the US, regardless how the FDA or anyone else views or interprets it, it's still illegal. That's pretty straight forward.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Look at is this way. Since the beginning, @Kapmcrunk has had certain standards for the vendors who are featured on this site. They are vetted for quality, a reputation for delivering what thay say, etc. In return for meeting those standards, vendors are given their own sub-Forum which is featured on the front page, vendor "flair" on their user info, etc. They get special treatment for being reputable, good vendors, in other words. Now this recent change means that vendors who sell krat, either online or in bars, will no longer get the same special treatment. In other words, whether a vendor sells krat is now taken into account in the overall assessment of vendor quality. Vendors who choose to sell krat are still allowed to participate on the Forum. They are not "exiled". They are simply not given preferential treatment. Jimmy (and the majority of moderators here) have agreed that offering essentially free advertising to such vendors is bad for the image and reputation of kava. And I have to say: I agree with the new policy 100%. There are many other places on the internet to discuss everything under the Sun, including everything about krat, but this is a Kava Forum, so I have to agree with Jimmy and the majority of mods in this case.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Look at is this way. Since the beginning, @Kapmcrunk has had certain standards for the vendors who are featured on this site. They are vetted for quality, a reputation for delivering what thay say, etc. In return for meeting those standards, vendors are given their own sub-Forum which is featured on the front page, vendor "flair" on their user info, etc. They get special treatment for being reputable, good vendors, in other words. Now this recent change means that vendors who sell krat, either online or in bars, will no longer get the same special treatment. In other words, whether a vendor sells krat is now taken into account in the overall assessment of vendor quality. Vendors who choose to sell krat are still allowed to participate on the Forum. They are not "exiled". They are simply not given preferential treatment. Jimmy (and the majority of moderators here) have agreed that offering essentially free advertising to such vendors is bad for the image and reputation of kava. And I have to say: I agree with the new policy 100%. There are many other places on the internet to discuss everything under the Sun, including everything about krat, but this is a Kava Forum, so I have to agree with Jimmy and the majority of mods in this case.
That's a fair assessment but kava is not suffering from being sold by K@ as much as K@ has the potential to suffer being sold in a kava bar. Kavas legal future is not currently in question whereas kratoms is. Serving K@ in a bar type environment gives the image of recreational use which uninformed people will associate with the legal high crowd. The sudden panic that kava is somehow going to be damaged by the presence of K@ just seems kind of ridiculous. IMO what should be promoted is botanical freedom and proper marketing of them so consumers can make the right decisions.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
If it were up to me alone, this whole thread among others, would have never made it this far but there seems to be a consensus in the community to discuss this. Once again let's remember that K@ is not legal for human consumption in the US, regardless how the FDA or anyone else views or interprets it, it's still illegal. That's pretty straight forward.
It's perfectly legal to purchase and consume K@ unless you live a handful of states that banned it (where local politicians were convinced its a synthetic, etc).

violet

Do all things with love
Discussions such as this could benefit from the rules being changed in a way that allows healthy conversation and education. If only negative posts are allowed for certain plants, it's easy to see why so many don't really know much about them. There is also the fact that a lot more people are searching for herbal relief for their health issues since medical science and pharmaceuticals fail on many levels. Discussion of kava use in conjunction or compared to other herbs would be helpful to people using it or wanting to use it medicinally.
I probably should have stated that I posted my previous interjection after deleting a post that was only being supportive of K@ and directing folks to research the plant.

I feel it is important that we are able to have the kava/K@ discussions out in the open, as it's an important issue that pertains to the whole kava community.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It's also perfectly legal to purchase spray paint and sweat socks then huff until your face falls off, but would you support a kava bar which sold these items and permitted such activity in their establishment?
The answer is obvious. Fortunately we aren't dealing with anything of that nature. I've said many times that I prefer that kava bars not sell K@ but whether I would continue to support them would be evaluated on a case by case basis. If they sold K@ on their website, in a responsible manor, I really wouldn't care at all. I only buy kava from dedicated kava vendors and K@ from dedicated K@ vendors, though.

If kava sales alone are not enough for a business to survive, would you prefer the majority of kava bars shut down? That is something that I really wonder how the community feels. Personally, I really don't think I would goto a kava bar often if there were one near by. Definitely have no reason to goto a K@ bar.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
The sudden panic that kava is somehow going to be damaged by the presence of K@ just seems kind of ridiculous.
Have you forgotten what kicked off this discussion? :)
A community was denied a kava bar because do-gooders on a committee concluded it was likely to sell kr, a botanical they feared.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
"Do gooders?"

Wow, way to totally misinterpret the intent of a city council that didn't want a Kava Bar in their town. Krat was a tertiary issue in that case. There is some evidence that local bars even got money and power behind that decision. So how can you call pro-booze thugs "do gooders?" I can bring in folks who were involved in those proceedings if you'd like. Be careful before you canonize those who pound gavels. @nakamalathome

First it was the pharmaceutical industry that went after Kava. Now it is big booze (and what a market in South Florida)! I never expected to see the day that the testers would actually align with an anti-Kava faction.

Another attempt to prop up chosen vendors and bash others. I'm getting pretty disturbed by some of this.

It seems that Krat connections are the new Isa.

*I bet 1 kg of Tongan that this post gets banned

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Are you suggesting that this element was actually responsible for that permit denial, rather than the obvious pro-K@/pro-synthetic drug alignment of the applicant?
Lets separate pro-K@ and pro-synthetic drugs. People who market K@ as a legal high are not helping K@ or the people who need it. We need to identify the enemies of kava and K@, not just blame K@ in an attempt to protect kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.