What's new

Kava Side Effects Kava causing anxiety/paranoia/psychosis due to MAOI/Dopamine?

DaManTheyCallB

Kava Curious
I changed my testosterone replacement therapy regimen and when I am dialed in I will try kava again and see if something changes to its effect
May I ask what's your dosage? I myself take 100mg a week. I've considered splitting it in half and doing it twice a week. Just to even things out a bit.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I've been looking through the forums, but I don't see a clear answer. Is Kava an reversible maoi? How would it compare to something like b. cappi or syrian rue? I would imagine its fairly weak as no one every mentions dietary restrictions for kava.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
This is an interesting clue ( If kava is a potent in vivo mao b inhibitor ) since you mentioned testosterone.

"Gender effects Somewhat less controversially, numerous studies have found that men have lower platelet MAOB activity than women (Anthenelli et al., 1998 ; Berlin et al., 2000 ; Bridge et al., 1985 ; Norman et al., 1982, 1987 ; Saccone et al., 1999 ; Sandler et al., 1981). This gender difference might be related to the effects of sex steroids on the enzyme ’s activity, as it has been found that platelet MAOB activity is decreased in women around the ovulatory period when serum oestradiol concentrations reach their peak (Belmaker et al., 1974 ; Poirier et al., 1985). Further research is needed to better understand hormonal effects on MAO activity and their physiological relevance. " (International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, Volume 4, Issue 1, March 2001, Pages 33–42, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1461145701002188 )

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Be careful the brain is a sensitive thing. I have HPPD/visual snow or what I believe it is plus my ears ring now a days. It was all brought on by using mind "expanding" substanances. For the last 3 years there has been a haze over my vision and the world looks unreal dreamy in a way. It happened after a psycosis. It feel like I'm in a light trip and with my OCD mind absolutely sucks. I encourage you to look up Human Persistent Perception Disorder. I didn't know it was a thing until after I started showing symptoms. Just want ya to be aware becuase I wasn't.
After you guys mentioned HPPD , I now realize, I've had it most of 2020 -- thanks guys... :p ; anyway, I noticed at a certain point kava became really stoney to me. I think this has a lot to do with it. The Depression/Anxiety has been unreal for the past week though...

DaManTheyCallB

Kava Curious
After you guys mentioned HPPD , I now realize, I've had it most of 2020 -- thanks guys... :p ; anyway, I noticed at a certain point kava became really stoney to me. I think this has a lot to do with it. The Depression/Anxiety has been unreal for the past week though...
HPPD can definitely be life dehibilitating . The substanances that caused it in me ultimately caused me to lose my job becuase I went way downhill. Staying busy can help with hppd . Even saw a youtuber named "All Gas No Brakes" said he suffers from HPPD and what helped him is to keep busy or do exciting things. I feel for ya bro depression is a bitch and been there for atleast 2 years barely leaving the house which was ultimately triggered by a bad expierence from certain natural mind opening substanance. Caused me to withdraw from the world and ultimately lost my job due to it. If ya do anything stick to a microdose instead of macrodosing if you have HPPD. Some say though stop everything and allow your brain to heal. https://www.HPPDOnline.com

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I want to preface this post by saying that I'm not endorsing iIlegal substances, but psilocybin is in multiple, public clinical trials for depression right now, with many localities passing decriminalization. I really just have very light vs. It's not that bad, and I remember having something similar as a kid. I've always had tinnitus, and its sort of just visual tinnitus. It's basically sensory noise from over stimulation. Not brain damage, but the opposite. I took 5 grams of dried mushrooms on 5 different occasions in 2020, and it was nothing but wonderful for me. With kava as a continued support, I have ZERO alcohol cravings. I never thought I would be able to say that. I was drinking myself to death. I wouldn't trade 2019 me for 2021 me for the world. I was also able to accept my existential fear of death, am no longer an atheist after 25 years, and I was able to process my father's death. I accept the bad with the good. The biggest issue for me is going to be giving up my fungi friends out of an abundance of caution.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
HPPD can definitely be life dehibilitating . The substanances that caused it in me ultimately caused me to lose my job becuase I went way downhill. Staying busy can help with hppd . Even saw a youtuber named "All Gas No Brakes" said he suffers from HPPD and what helped him is to keep busy or do exciting things. I feel for ya bro depression is a bitch and been there for atleast 2 years barely leaving the house which was ultimately triggered by a bad expierence from certain natural mind opening substanance. Caused me to withdraw from the world and ultimately lost my job due to it. If ya do anything stick to a microdose instead of macrodosing if you have HPPD. Some say though stop everything and allow your brain to heal. https://www.HPPDOnline.com
All gas no brakes is awesome!