What's new

Kava For Insomnia

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
For Sleeping I like KWK Borongoru or Kavafied's Kava Supreme. They're both Vanuatu. I really like Kava Supreme as it is my favorite Vanuatu. I'll always have a bag on hand if I can.
Keep us posted on results

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A little story to illustrate. I finished work in Chepstow at 1 am on Thursday morning. Drove back to London, some 200 miles. Got home at 3.30, sat up drinking kava and chatting with my flat mate til 6, went to bed at 6.30. I got up at 11 so didn't have a lot of sleep and my pattern was all to pieces because of work. Last night I had 6 heaped tablespoons of realkava.com vanuatu waka in 3 shells starting at 9.45, then 10.30 and had the last one at 11.30. By 12.30 I was asleep and I woke up at 8.30 so I've had a good 8 hours uninterrupted sleep and nearly brought my sleep pattern back into something more normal in the space of a day. Tonight I will have another strong session, probably go with Tongan Reserve tonight and start a bit earlier. I can see myself being asleep by 11 and up at 7. Back on track.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
The boronguru i was not quite sure the difference between that and borogu so i tried borogu first. Have not tried the boronguru yet, but will with the suggestion. The Kava Supreme from kavafied is also a good price so i may pick that up on my next chance.

Edward, have you tried the Vanuatu select kava powder from thekavaroots? Curious because it is under the "Kava for Insomnia" section. I just received GHK Nene instant so after I am done with that I will try the Tongan Reserve. Is it instant or medium grind? Doesn't tell on the site but during some reviews i saw that it was "powder only" so i am guessing instant.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The boronguru i was not quite sure the difference between that and borogu so i tried borogu first. Have not tried the boronguru yet, but will with the suggestion. The Kava Supreme from kavafied is also a good price so i may pick that up on my next chance.

Edward, have you tried the Vanuatu select kava powder from thekavaroots? Curious because it is under the "Kava for Insomnia" section. I just received GHK Nene instant so after I am done with that I will try the Tongan Reserve. Is it instant or medium grind? Doesn't tell on the site but during some reviews i saw that it was "powder only" so i am guessing instant.
Borogu and boroguru are rumoured to be the same strain. BoroNguru is different.

I haven't had the vanuatu select from thekavaroots but I'm guessing it will be a similar kind of thing to Stone or kavafied supreme, I can guess it's strong, peppery and very relaxing with sedation kicking in after, it sounds like that sort of kava.

Tongan reserve is a med grind, my favourite kava ever but I tend to prefer heavier kavas.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
I have ordered the Kava Supreme to try next as my Nene instant bag is almost gone. I will then try Tongan Reserve after that bag.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
I'm a little hesitant about realkava.com. Any additional thoughts? Source below from a different website.

"Kava Kauai
Pros: Good customer service; Quick shipping; Some kavas appear to be noble; a variety of kava products. Cons: Some products appear to contain tudei kava and/or other impurities - the owners know about this, but have not taken any steps to address this issue; no certificates of analysis, seemingly no commitment to testing or monitoring their kava's purity; lack of visible commitment to noble kava."

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi @ka0s_905 ,

I would suggest, of all things, a Podcast called "Sleep With Me" to help with your insomnia. It's a weird, yet beautiful, Podcast where this guy tells these meandering, meaningless stories that lull you to sleep.
Thanks a ton for this. I don't suffer from insomnia but I know people who do and I told them about this and it works like a charm. Quite amazing. I did enjoy listening to it for a while and though it did not put me to sleep I did start dreaming while awake, although I think the kava might have had something to do with it as well.

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava Supreme is definitely the best for insomnia if the issue is falling asleep. It's been a long time since I've had a kava that sedating.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm a little hesitant about realkava.com. Any additional thoughts? Source below from a different website.

"Kava Kauai
Pros: Good customer service; Quick shipping; Some kavas appear to be noble; a variety of kava products. Cons: Some products appear to contain tudei kava and/or other impurities - the owners know about this, but have not taken any steps to address this issue; no certificates of analysis, seemingly no commitment to testing or monitoring their kava's purity; lack of visible commitment to noble kava."
The vanuatu waka was the first kava I tried and I still buy it now. It has got a little bit weaker as time has gone on which I think represents the pressures caused by shortages in certain areas but I've never had any feeling that it has been tu ei. I have had the instant and didn't like it but still wouldn't say there was anything not noble about it.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
Good to know Edward.

SelfBias - i would disagree but i do think that everyone is different so what may work best for someone else may not work best for others.. I am nearly through my Kava Supreme bag and I would say that Nene and Hiwa actually work better for me or even the 11 year waka.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
Updated main thread with what has worked best for me so far to try to help others. Will buy + try + provide comparisons for any other Kava mentioned in this thread that can aid with sleep. :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Good to know Edward.

SelfBias - i would disagree but i do think that everyone is different so what may work best for someone else may not work best for others.. I am nearly through my Kava Supreme bag and I would say that Nene and Hiwa actually work better for me or even the 11 year waka.
11 yr waka is a steam roller, puts me out for hours.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
It doesn't put me out for hours but it definitely helps me sleep. It is a bit more expensive than the others but I do like it.

I am on my third night in a row of the Boronguru and slept about 5-6 hours on it - which is pretty good for me.

I didn't take Kava at all between Sunday and Wednesday and slept about 2-3 hours at most each night. I know the Kava is working for me when it comes to sleep.

will update thread with thoughts on Boronguru vs the others once I have it a few more days in a row. I am now averaging 4Tablespoons each night.

ka0s_905

Kava Curious
Bumping this as I see many topics around this still.

I have stuck with Nene now for last 2 years and 11 year waka. Those seem to work best for me. Would love to hear of anyones more recent strains. I will buy and post comparisons to help others. Off of all sleep medications.