What's new

Kava Sediment

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I completely neglect my 80 micron strainer because it's so fine it reduces the effectiveness of the kava by at least 30/40 % ... I use a 100 micron now and it gives me a good balance. I've used larger microns a lot of the time, but they definitely increased dermopathy and nausea ... along with the added potency.

S

Summer

If you were able to put a micron count on knee-highs, what would it be?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I completely neglect my 80 micron strainer because it's so fine it reduces the effectiveness of the kava by at least 30/40 % ... I use a 100 micron now and it gives me a good balance. I've used larger microns a lot of the time, but they definitely increased dermopathy and nausea ... along with the added potency.
Where would I get a 100 micron strainer? (in the UK?)

verticity

I'm interested in things
If you were able to put a micron count on knee-highs, what would it be?
That's a good question that I have wondered about myself. The "biodiesel community" actually has an answer. Someone named Tim c cook had this answer in reply to someone asking about the micron rating of pantyhose used to filter oil:

I have looked at pantyhose/stocking fabric under a microscope, the unstretched fabric has rectangular openings that are approximatly 25 microns in there smallest dimension and around 100 micron in there longest dimension, this is with name-brand material that has 5 threads used as one thread during the weaving, cheaper brand stocking material uses less threads and the openings are even larger, as you stretch the fabric the openings become even larger.
So, roughly 100 microns; however the material is very stretchy, so I would think the "effective" micron rating would be a lot higher, since a 300 or larger micron particle could probably squeeze through an elastic 100 micron hole.

(Please, everyone, for the sake of decency, do not make any "that's what she said" jokes.)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I use the Cactus kava strainer all the time and it lets through some sediment but not loads. I might try a different one and see if I notice much difference.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I have always used panty hose but recently got a very fine cotton coffee strainer bag, the type they use in Cambodia, to try.
I found that not only did this take ages to strain my litre or so, but it took out so much of the very fine (clay-like) sediment that my mix was noticeably weaker.
So back to the trusty knee- highs. The slightly stronger ones made to give support to old women's ankles or whatever are less stretchy so keep the micron size down.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
An update on this... I got a free strainer from thekavaroots.com with my second order of the Tongan Reserve. It's nowhere near as fine as the Cactus kava one so I was a bit worried about all the sediment that got through. I'm having a nice night and no stomach upset to speak of so I would conclude that it depends on the root. Before I started straining really well I used to drink quite a lot of sediment but sometimes would get quite bad nausea. I would suggest it's to do with the root. Some need to be filtered more and some can be filtered less. Trial and error to work out which ones are good for you and which ones need more straining.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
@Blinkyrocket idk if anyone has said this probrably but I think your definitley still in reverse tolerance or "preperation beggining" if that's the first time you felt something like that from kava !
No wonder you weren't sure what was so great about it :)
I think you're correct, all I've been feeling lately is a sort of disappointing feeling that actually make my muscles tighter and more strict. But this Tongan kava finally loosened my muscles, so I think I'm making the transition from reverse tolerance to functionality now.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
If i see sediment in my jug o' kava pour more a little more water into it and shake it some more. Just keep stirring it around or shaking it so it doesn't settle. If i go for a high-sediment session it's a sure thing to have nausea set on fairly early compared to if I strain multiple times.

2nd on the Cactus strainer I cycle through 2 of them at the moment they're great!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Where would I get a 100 micron strainer? (in the UK?)
I got this one, the company also has their own website you can search through but here's the amazon link:
Amazon productIt has a metal ring at the top which was annoying, so I cut it off...
...100 microns doesn't sound like much more than 80, but I was disappointed with the experience every single time I used an 80 micron bag. The 100 micron bag has been giving me effects nearly equivalent to the 200 or 300 micron paint strainers I was using previously, but with a drastic reduction in bigger particles and much slower and milder onset of dermopathy.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I got this one, the company also has their own website you can search through but here's the amazon link:
Amazon productIt has a metal ring at the top which was annoying, so I cut it off...
...100 microns doesn't sound like much more than 80, but I was disappointed with the experience ever single time I used an 80 micron bag. The 100 micron bag has been giving me effects nearly equivalent to the 200 or 300 micron paint strainers I was using previously, but with a drastic reduction in bigger particles and much slower and milder onset of dermopathy.
I got a few of those Duda Diesel filters of various sizes to experiment with. It doesn't show up in the picture, but they are actually pretty huge, like large enough to make up a batch for a whole party of people. They work well; the only thing I miss is a draw string.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I think you're correct, all I've been feeling lately is a sort of disappointing feeling that actually make my muscles tighter and more strict. But this Tongan kava finally loosened my muscles, so I think I'm making the transition from reverse tolerance to functionality now.
You want loose muscles? N@H Stone. You'll feel like a boneless chicken.