What's new

Making your own instant

Bwiggy

I like plants
Tonight I tried a pinch of dehydrated flakes sublingually, thinking it would be faster than consuming it.
I checked for validation of this theory, and found that there is evidence that it is both faster and more efficient.

I did one pinch and got numbness within a couple of minutes!

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Well, my oven baked instant kava is just near done, but it looks less like commercially grown instant and more like dog crap that's been sitting out for a few days.

However,

I tried a pinch of it and my mouth went numb, which is a good sign, as it means the kavalactones are still alive and kicking

By the way, I used what's left of my Solomon Island's for the experiment.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well, my oven baked instant kava is just near done, but it looks less like commercially grown instant and more like dog crap that's been sitting out for a few days.

However,

I tried a pinch of it and my mouth went numb, which is a good sign, as it means the kavalactones are still alive and kicking

By the way, I used what's left of my Solomon Island's for the experiment.
You need to grind it up... hence my conical burr professional coffee grinder which is on the way :)

Everyone making their own instant will seriously be surprised at the potency. It'll slap you up side the face and not even feel bad about it.
I seriously find med grind hit and miss and it's got to be something to do with the prep. I've found instant to be much more reliable and effective. I can't wait to dry out a batch and try it.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Everyone making their own instant will seriously be surprised at the potency. It'll slap you up side the face and not even feel bad about it.
I'd say it's a bit more like cuddling me with it's big marshmallowy arms. ::kavaleaf::

I took some that I made under my tongue after dinner tonight and had the near instant numbing sensation.
The sublingual ingestion seems to be way more efficient than via digestion. Also, servings can be immediately adjusted as needed.
I feel like I've discovered something a m a z i n g ! !

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Well, my oven baked instant experiment was a failure. It ended up basically as gravel. No matter how hard I mortar and pestled it, the burnt asphalt refused to form any sort powder. Oh well, lesson learned.

But dang, 8 tablespoons of solomons down the drain.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'd say it's a bit more like cuddling me with it's big marshmallowy arms. ::kavaleaf::
Yes! That's what I get.

Well, my oven baked instant experiment was a failure. It ended up basically as gravel. No matter how hard I mortar and pestled it, the burnt asphalt refused to form any sort powder. Oh well, lesson learned.

@Ligermeat Such a bummer! Too hot I'd bet.
@Ligermeat yes, sounds like it got over heated. Did you try and reconstitute it and drink any?

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast

Oh no! Disaster strikes the instant at home project, man, what a bummer:(. Surely there must be some way to save it. Have you tried a coffee grinder? What about just letting it soak in water for a while? Bake it into brownies?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I threw it out. The stuff was nasty and burnt, and it barely numbed the mouth by the time it was done.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks @Edward. When I first saw this thread I was like, "Meh, I dont need no instant."
Then I came back to it today and read through it. Seeing everone else experimenting around with it made me curious. Also, my dehdrator has been packed away since last fall when I made 20lbs of sweet potato chips. Any good ideas for containers to use on the round trays with the hole in the middle? I know I could make a lot at a time with 16 trays full of grog.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
@Sam Handwich, Of course! I have about 18 of them, I didnt think they would hold much liquid, but upon looking at them I suppose it would. I have never used them for liquids. I got lucky and got my gardenmaster at an auction last year with 16 trays, 18 fruit roll-up sheets, and 12 mesh sheets for 10 bucks :jawdrop:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks @Edward. When I first saw this thread I was like, "Meh, I dont need no instant."
Then I came back to it today and read through it. Seeing everone else experimenting around with it made me curious. Also, my dehdrator has been packed away since last fall when I made 20lbs of sweet potato chips. Any good ideas for containers to use on the round trays with the hole in the middle? I know I could make a lot at a time with 16 trays full of grog.
I'm not sure about the different types of dehydrator but I'm guessing there will be a solution for most types usually involving folded up fruit leather sheets...

As far as instant goes I honestly swear that it is so much more effective than med grind. I have tried all types of prep and I never get such reliable results as a couple of teaspoons of instant in some milk. If I had a lot of time on my hands then trad prep just felt right, then the aluball came along and that took over and then I just got to thinking why?! Even with the aluball I have never got such good effects as I have got from instant. Now I'm getting closer to making my own instant from any type of kava which according to reports should be as good as commercial instant... well... colloquially, I'm like a pig in shit! :)

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Guess I gotta find a good supply of affordable whole root, grind it myself, and make mass quantities of instant. Gotta prepare for the global blackout, you know, just in case I havent moved to a kava producing island by the time the lights go out :p