What's new

mo'i

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Made up 8 cups of Mo'i using 8 tablespoons of Kava. It was epic. Then, just for kicks I threw in a tablespoon of Solomon. Took it over the top. This is a mind-numbing combo. My first time ever mixing Kavas and I feel great.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Just FYI, this feels like a Tudei to me... I was krunk from 7 PM last night until around 4 PM today. I did drink about 6 shells though, so I was pretty deeply sedated when all was said and done

kl.owl

Sometime in the last week Mo'i (and Pana'ewa) re-appeared on the Hawaiian Kava Center site.

My order arrived yesterday. I am working my way through a bag of their Mahakea so am reluctant to open a second bag right away, but I'm quite curious to see how the Mo'i compares.

Ten years ago I was in Waikiki for a conference. My mate and I went on a side trip to the Polynesian Cultural Center where I saw this huge many-legged wooden bowl on the floor as we were taken through one of the display houses on a guided tour. Honestly, it was the biggest thing in the room but the tour guide talked about everything except the bowl. So I asked the guide, "is that a kava bowl?" She smiled.

I got the sense that she was not to talk about the bowl.  Later I discovered that Brigham Young University in Hawaii forbids its students to drink the stuff and they own the PCC.

Gotta salute the Hawaiians for holding onto their beloved 'awa despite all that.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
I also find mo'i to have a lot of left over effects the following day. I'd say a it took a good 18 hours to shake the effects completely. It doesn't feel like it's that strong while you're drinking it, definitely not overwhelming, but the next day my steps are off and vision is still funky. Not in a really bad way, but it does slow me down a bit.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, this stuff actually does taste great, it's coffee like in the way that technically I know that it tastes nasty but it doesn't make me feel like I have to hold my nose and chug it so as not to gag. It doesn't have those weird vegetable and herb smells to it. I almost want to put in some cream, sugar, and ice and make an iced latte! If I don't get much effect after a couple shells I throw in a dash of Shaman, but I think it's working. Really looking forward to the BKH green, checked the mailbox today but frownie face, just ordered like Thursday just impatient.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Jerome said:
I also find mo'i to have a lot of left over effects the following day. I'd say a it took a good 18 hours to shake the effects completely. It doesn't feel like it's that strong while you're drinking it, definitely not overwhelming, but the next day my steps are off and vision is still funky. Not in a really bad way, but it does slow me down a bit.
This happens to me quite a bit with certain Kavas. It is more or less why I've always loved Tongan or Fijian varieties. When people say kava gives you "no hangover," it isn't exactly true.

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
I just checked the Hawaiian kava center's product page and noticed that Mo'i is missing.  Does anyone know for how long?  This is devastating for me... It's by far my favorite kava.

S

Sandman

I hear you. I really enjoyed the Mo'i, as well.  I just got a shipment of pana'ewa, though, so I'll let you know if it's any good.

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
wow i still have the stuff i bought last year (I sealed it up in ziploc bags and then put in a tupperware container. it is still as strong as when i got it! i just made 1/2 cup and ~2 cups water with some ice cubes and holy f! strong!

the van3 i bought last year's aroma has lessened considerably (a plus in my book), and theyre still sealed so i dont know if those have lost potency but this certainly hasn't! long shelf life!

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
That's weird, the HKC shop is down to like 3 products, 1HourBreak, Mahakea and Mapulehu, that's it. I hope that's not a bad sign, I'd love to get my hands on some Mo'i again.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What.....the.... I don't know what to say. What are they going to sell next? Mary Jane cola? Ahh this is disappointing.

kavalover

Outsider
They're selling 1 hour break now? Why?! If I remember right the guy who ran HKC was big in a sort of kava movement, I think it was called the Awa development council or something like that, in Hawaii. Unless he sold the business, that's seems like a bad move to me because that extract is a combination of other herbs mixed in, what was it, like 80 proof grain alcohol? That's got bad news all over it.