What's new

skin issues

verticity

I'm interested in things
The first time it happened I was drinking GHK's med grind Boroguru and also some local stuff that's cheaper/local so fast shipping. It seems to have done the same thing this time - red, swollen, sore eyes - and I was drinking GHK's med grind Mahakea and the local stuff. Since the common denominator seems to be the local stuff, I'm going to wait for it to clear up and then try drinking only certified noble stuff.
If you are curious about the nobility of the "local stuff" you could send a sample to @Deleted User. He is pretty busy these days, so it might take a while. Alternately you could do the "acetone test", described in a pinned post in the lounge yourself; it's pretty easy really. You just need known samples of noble (which you have from GHK) and known tudei (which you can get easily) to compare with your local stuff.

exit stage left
@Schmedward My skin doesn't get sore to the touch, but it will get heat sensitive after which I lay off the kava for a week or two and it gets goes away. I don't notice it until I'm out in the hot sun on my bicycle, and after about 20 minutes my face starts to itch. Usually during my bike ride, after say 30 minutes - the itching sensation goes away. It can also happen in a hot shower. So in my experience kava can definitely affect the skin in weird ways. My skin is naturally dry, and I think kava makes it more so which probably brings out the itching.
I've actually gotten a skin issue to heat before too, even before kava - that was when I got my first allergy test, which came up negative... But at the time I got hives and a prickly itchy sensation in response to anything that made me warm.... It was miserable at first but gradually lessened and now happens sporadically and without hives. No doctor can tell me what it is except for "you have exceptionally sensitive skin".

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
It was a body part that the kardashian family is VERY familair with. Imagine if customs has to open it while being shipped. Serves them right prying into peoples mail.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
As kapnkrunk mentioned I don't believe it is Dermo. You typically have to hammer a lot of kava over an extended period to get that, and the dryness is generally not sore/swollen - just ugly and a bit itchy.

Sounds much more likely you have a type of allergy. I have just started getting occasionally similar symptoms over my face and head, if I drink a lot of kava when I have been drinking booze the night before. Redness & itchiness. It is very different to the dermo from long term abuse you see in Vanuatu.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Can I pick a nit? Let's call it use, not abuse; unless you think it is actually being "abused"?
Fair point Verticity-
I just used the word to differentiate between people in Port Vila that stop in at a nakamal on their way home from work for a few shells (and rarely get dermo), and those that drop in after work and stay till the kava is finished 3-4 hours later, then walk around looking for more until the town has gone to sleep. Its the folks (and I included myself in this category when I was living there full time..) that drink 6 hours a night or so that tend to get the dermo, after a year or two of not missing a night. Is that abuse? I'd like to think not - but some would say it was.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I do agree that sore/red immediately makes me suspect something other than dermopathy. That with your very small use makes me think it is something else.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i noticed some itching, puffiness, redness, and skin sensitivity around my eyes (eyelids and thereabouts) and put some black seed (nigella sativa) oil on the affected area before bed and when i woke up it was like it had never happened. i've been drinking kava (medium grind kneaded) nightly for a couple months now and i have only just had a skin issue and the black seed oil knocked it out right quick. i cannot recommend the BSO highly enough; it's a natural antihistamine and the most effective skin soother i have ever come across. i'm fairly sure it is magic. there is an old saying about nigella sativa seeds: the only thing they cannot cure is death. anyone with skin issues should give it a try. you can buy it on amazon or most health food/ hippy stores. i got mine from meridian botanicals where they have a bunch of other awesome plants for sale

verticity

I'm interested in things
Fair point Verticity-
I just used the word to differentiate between people in Port Vila that stop in at a nakamal on their way home from work for a few shells (and rarely get dermo), and those that drop in after work and stay till the kava is finished 3-4 hours later, then walk around looking for more until the town has gone to sleep. Its the folks (and I included myself in this category when I was living there full time..) that drink 6 hours a night or so that tend to get the dermo, after a year or two of not missing a night. Is that abuse? I'd like to think not - but some would say it was.
Yeah, I guess it depends on whether their behavior is causing them significant problems. "Heavy users" maybe?