What's new

So aluball isn't doing anything

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I usually use warm water.. I feel like it hits you faster
I'm gonna try warm water, and then once it's mixed with kava I'll throw it in the fridge for A few minutes so that I can take it out and then grind it out and ring out the strainer without burning my hands.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm surprised to see such negative comments about the aluball, althought all respect to people's opinions. I've found them really good and I can whip up a shell in a minute or so. I usually use a blender and make 4 shells in one go but if I'm topping up I'll aluball one or two shells more. I don't find that the balls break that easily, I think I've broken 3 since I've been using them over 3 or 4 years. I find I can get a good shell with more or less any kava I want to use. It's starting me wondering what other people are doing with it to get poor results?!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'm surprised to see such negative comments about the aluball, althought all respect to people's opinions. I've found them really good and I can whip up a shell in a minute or so. I usually use a blender and make 4 shells in one go but if I'm topping up I'll aluball one or two shells more. I don't find that the balls break that easily, I think I've broken 3 since I've been using them over 3 or 4 years. I find I can get a good shell with more or less any kava I want to use. It's starting me wondering what other people are doing with it to get poor results?!
i might be wrong, but didnt you say you had never prepared kava the traditional way? maybe people are just comparing it to kneading?

I found the aluball to be convenient and decent in terms of effects, but def doesnt extract as much as traditional prep

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
i might be wrong, but didnt you say you had never prepared kava the traditional way? maybe people are just comparing it to kneading?

I found the aluball to be convenient and decent in terms of effects, but def doesnt extract as much as traditional prep
No, I can't remember ever bothering. Maybe that's the case.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I agree. The Aluball makes a very strong shell...at least the way I do it. I've never broken a ball. I've made lots of traditional prep, with and without blending, and the aluball is just as strong. If I'm using a relatively coarser ground "medium grind," then I do traditional prep. The aluball does like finer ground kavas. Today we've had three different cultivars because I used the aluball. Advantages both ways...

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I agree. The Aluball makes a very strong shell...at least the way I do it. I've never broken a ball. I've made lots of traditional prep, with and without blending, and the aluball is just as strong. If I'm using a relatively coarser ground "medium grind," then I do traditional prep. The aluball does like finer ground kavas. Today we've had three different cultivars because I used the aluball. Advantages both ways...
My understanding was that blending extracts more KL' s than any other method but I know different people have different ideas on it so each to their own. I'm also pretty sure that the aluball shells are as good as the blended ones. Could be as you say and down to technique?

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Maybe the ball is packed too tight with kava? it works well for me. I'm also a BIG fan of the Mixer Cup Prep method posted by @Kapmcrunk on the kava facts string. I don't use the canoe method for that tho. I have a Thai Tea Sock and a pitcher. Takes absolutely no time to do and i love the mixer cup. I can charge my phone on it too in a pinch lol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Maybe the ball is packed too tight with kava? it works well for me. I'm also a BIG fan of the Mixer Cup Prep method posted by @Kapmcrunk on the kava facts string. I don't use the canoe method for that tho. I have a Thai Tea Sock and a pitcher. Takes absolutely no time to do and i love the mixer cup. I can charge my phone on it too in a pinch lol.
ahhh, glad to see that being used. I still use mine every single night. I've had to replace the bottom motor portion because the batteries were starting to wear out after about 8 months of daily use. I'm still routinely plastered to my couch at 40g :)

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I suspect that people who are taking 15 minutes or more kneading are not paying attention to the clock. It might feel like a long time but if I knead it seriously I can feel that the makas are spent by the texture within a matter of a couple of minutes. We should do an experiment and time ourselves making 2 batches of the same size and strain and knead one for 5 minutes and one for 15 and see how much of a perceptible difference there is. I suspect it’s not much. If anything just adding fresh water to do a “second wash” seems to expedite the process of suspending the kavalactones.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I suspect that people who are taking 15 minutes or more kneading are not paying attention to the clock. It might feel like a long time but if I knead it seriously I can feel that the makas are spent by the texture within a matter of a couple of minutes. We should do an experiment and time ourselves making 2 batches of the same size and strain and knead one for 5 minutes and one for 15 and see how much of a perceptible difference there is. I suspect it’s not much. If anything just adding fresh water to do a “second wash” seems to expedite the process of suspending the kavalactones.
I imagine it has largely to do with the ratio of water to root. I've noticed if I'm making a thicker grog, it takes longer to ensure all the good stuff has been removed from the roots. Sometimes I'll do a second wash on those high root preps because there just isn't enough water to get everything out.

Personally I tend to take 15 minutes because it's really relaxing for me. It's like my weird form of meditation or something to reflect on what's going on and just be with my own thoughts for a couple minutes.