What's new

Kava Recipe Summer kava recipe: the grogtail

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
My newest summer kava invention: The grogtail. ::happyshell::
Obviously, a delicious cooling mixture of a kava grog and a fruity cocktail (without alc, just root) is hidden behind this mysterious name. And how is it made? Here you go:
  • Prepare any kava of your choice, first and second wash. (I recommend @Squanch72 's waka or @Kalm with Kava 's Pouni Ono, and the aluball method if you're really lazy.)
  • Fill an ice cube tray with the second wash and freeze to get kava ice cubes.
    squanchcube.JPG
  • Mix the first wash kava with mango juice (or orange, or any mixture of different fruit juices as you wish) with a ratio 1:1 and cool it in the fridge.
    • Alternatively, if you want your grogtail sparkling: Mix the first wash kava in a 1:1 ratio with a mixture of mango juice (2/3) and tonic water (1/3)!
  • After cooling and freezing, serve the kava-juice mix with a kava ice cube and enjoy your grogtail::chugger::
    • I suggest to add a cocktail stirrer (or similar) to stir up the grogtail before drinking, as the root component tends to settle after a while.
grogtail.JPG

Of course this is only a guideline and the grogtail allows many variations according to your taste!
Let me know how your grogtail is like! ::awesomesmiles:: ::happyshell:: ::kavaleaf::

Last edited:

kavamehameha

I'd give the flavor an 8 on your scale. It tastes really good, and since I mixed kava:juice 1:1 the juice's flavor is dominating. But this highly depends on the kava, and I suggest to use varieties which don't have such an intense muddy taste. I also think that the taste of kava is not that bad, but it's not quite good either. So one goal in making such a grogtail is of course to improve the taste! ;)

Hahah I gotta try this ! And I will !
Let me know how you like it!

Last edited:

kavamehameha

You can also have your grogtail sparkling, if you want, by adding tonic water! Now this is really delicious and refreshing. ::happyshell:: Look at my recipe for the updated version!