What's new

What is Isa?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I haven't seen him claim or verify his identity, how do you know?
I don't doubt he's selling PNG kava to Fiji, they also buy lots of Vanuatu tudei - but they export it!
At least, there is such a person with that name in that business based out of Port Moresby and he writes in exactly the same style as the person who posted here saying exactly the same things, e.g. regularly drinks PNG kava, claims he is healthy, is involved with selling PNG kava. http://mtsl.com.pg/team/john-sanday/

From his LI ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-sanday-11b44335) :

• Investor/Director
    Niugini Kava Limited
    June 2005 – October 2016 (11 years 5 months)
    Niugini Kava Limited is the largest kava trader and exporter out of PNG. Many comments have been said about PNG Kava, all of which I don't agree with as I am an avid drinker and swear by its great qualities. I drink this PNG Kava almost everyday and in large amounts too for over 10 years and my recent blood tests show that my liver is in perfect working condition. Next time let me share with you a few bowls of the PNG Kava prepared and mixed for good health and relaxation.

We currently export PNG Kava to three overseas markets and our largest being USA. Our new product is called "Kavachews" a mint flavored lozenge that is on sale at all Tappoos outlets in Fiji.

As should not surprise, N@H is a US dealer of Niugini Kava products from PNG http://www.nakamalathome.com/buy_kava/product.php?productid=16282&js=n

Doug has favourably reviewed the kava, but that was some years ago: http://kavasseur.blogspot.com/2010/04/nakamal-at-home-niugini-kava.html

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I believe the PNG kava is used in the manufacture in China by the Kava Korporesen (http://kavakpl.en.china.cn/ and http://www.bizearch.com/company/Kava_Korporesen_PNG_Limited_115249.htm) of one of his products, Kavachews, a candy mentioned here at KF http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-chews.6514/

There was concern mentioned about the manufacture of the candy in China but no follow up mentioning any ill effects. I have not been able to find any mention by anyone anywhere that the product is harmful.

verticity

I'm interested in things
At least, there is such a person with that name in that business based out of Port Moresby and he writes in exactly the same style as the person who posted here saying exactly the same things, e.g. regularly drinks PNG kava, claims he is healthy, is involved with selling PNG kava. http://mtsl.com.pg/team/john-sanday/

From his LI ( https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-sanday-11b44335) :

• Investor/Director
    Niugini Kava Limited
    June 2005 – October 2016 (11 years 5 months)
    Niugini Kava Limited is the largest kava trader and exporter out of PNG. Many comments have been said about PNG Kava, all of which I don't agree with as I am an avid drinker and swear by its great qualities. I drink this PNG Kava almost everyday and in large amounts too for over 10 years and my recent blood tests show that my liver is in perfect working condition. Next time let me share with you a few bowls of the PNG Kava prepared and mixed for good health and relaxation.

We currently export PNG Kava to three overseas markets and our largest being USA. Our new product is called "Kavachews" a mint flavored lozenge that is on sale at all Tappoos outlets in Fiji.

As should not surprise, N@H is a US dealer of Niugini Kava products from PNG http://www.nakamalathome.com/buy_kava/product.php?productid=16282&js=n

Doug has favourably reviewed the kava, but that was some years ago: http://kavasseur.blogspot.com/2010/04/nakamal-at-home-niugini-kava.html
Apparently their "Koniak" is "loved in Fiji"....
http://www.looppng.com/content/kava-produced-madang-‘koniak’-loved-fiji

D

Deleted User01

@Jack Sanday, you are commended for drinking your Tudei in private instead of and going to the park and scaring parents, kids, and dogs. So good on you. ::uhhuhhz:: I wouldn't respect you in the morning if you sold ISA and didn't drink it yourself. So there's that ...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Is koniak simply the name for the only type of kava grown in PNG, which is their name for 'isa, so that the reader of that article would recognise the word rather than "kava" as it is more commonly used? It could well be it is popular in Fiji, especially if it is used to make Kava Chews and they are enjoyed there, and if 16 - 20 tons of the mixed grind are going there every month.

Which then begs the question, is that 16 - 20 tons being consumed in Fiji, or are kava exporters there blending the koniak into their Fijian kava for export, not as a bamboozle maybe, but perhaps just to increase strength or manipulate the chemtype in som way, even if just for product concistency? The going rate a year ago seems to have been about US $50/kg for it, so perhaps price is a factor.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
fwiw as just an end-product consumer who Googles too much I don't really have a problem with products labelled "kava" being a blend of cultivars from all over, including perhaps 'isa or koniak, as long as:

1. it is done by a market mechanism and to ensure product consistency and quality

2. it is clearly labelled as such, rather than being sold as exlusively a product of one place or one cultivar when it is really a blend

and ideally 3. there could be some independent trade body that could certify the truth on the label and the product safety.

Of course I always assume everything is a blend first and then go by my eyes and ears and nose and tongue and brain to determine what a particular medium grind I have bought might be, and the collective concensus of others I trust who have had some.

D

Deleted User01

@Krunkie McKrunkface, you touched upon a delicate topic that nobody likes to talk about because it upsets the retailers. But if you google it, it is there for all to read. If you are lucky, some of the unscrupulous wholesalers (the majority) will add Tudei/Isa as filler. If you are not lucky, they cut it with flour, sawdust, and other fillers. If I were that sneaky filler guy, I would cut it with both and still maintain the strength of the kava but at a much lower cost of sale. That's just a byproduct of the kava shortage in the Islands and the reason that people like Kalm with Kava try to buy direct from the farmer and omit the troublesome middleman. I guess the silver lining is that none of the fillers are going to hurt you.
The Vanuatu Commission is working on that truth of label thingy because they are trying to shore up the reputation of the kava coming from that region. I also heard they had purchased a colorimeter so they are getting serious. But it's a lot of work to police everyone. Ex: There were over 2000 claims of price gouging during the Hurricane in Texas and not a one of them as been filed because of a lack of manpower. But we can still raise hell here on the forums. :sneaky:

John Sanday

Kava Curious
John Sanday appears to be an authentic account and truly an avid consumer and marketer of PNG kava. Considering this, his position on PNG kava makes complete sense, as he has a stake in the game and enjoys the product himself. I personally appreciate him sharing his experience, since we don't have many accounts of decades long tudei kava usage. But I'm sure he will be taken to task here pretty soon, words scrutinized and personal experience downplayed.

Something I'd point out, as it pertains to the concept of all kava being respected in Fiji, is that traditionally Fiji did not have any tudei or Isa-like varities. (As far as any known research has shown) So when it comes to Fiji's traditional kava varieties, they are all equally 'noble' and therfor worthy of equal respect. That is not to say that non-noble cultivars don't deserve respect too, or don't have their own use. Also, John, you will find there are other Fijian's who won't agree with you that PNG kava is to be equally respected and I believe the Fijian government has also begun making moves to ban the export of tudei kavas. Someone else might have more info on that.

Out of curiosity, how much kava powder do you personally use, to make your evening grog?

Thanks, I have no problem at all with people disagreeing with my views. Personally I don't think the Fiji Government will ever ban the export of Tudei kavas. Most of kavas consumed in Fiji and exported are blends of Vanuatu predominantly plus peelings. If they banned that the Fiji Govt will be losing out on valuable foreign exchange and tax income not to say the employment and jobs that will be lost. It just won't happen. Comparatively, Vanuatu Kava import into Fiji are huge compared to PNG Kava imports. So the weighting of Vanuatu Kavas that make it into the final powder product in Fiji is much much higher than PNG.

Along with other family members, we would go through maybe 500grams a night. It is not the Kava that drives our drinking it is the bonding, coming together, the talking without TV or Social Media, the laughing, the analysis of news events and the sharing of good family time that keeps us up and PNG Kava at the right concentrations lubricates all these because of its good clear dope.

John Sanday

Kava Curious
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm curious if you were the supplier of a variety that Bula Kava House used to sell called "Koniak"?
@verticity, best if you asked Bula Kava House that question. I export to several clients not only in the USA but to there countries and wish to respect our commercial relationships past and present in the full sense. Have a great day.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Bula @John Sanday.
Because of its propensity to cause unpleasant side-effects, Isa is likely to remain a niche kava. I suppose that's a good thing for yourself and the two or three Hawaiians growing it (there's always money to be made in niche products), but have you tried to acquire noble cultivars of kava from Vanuatu to grow in PNG?

Last edited:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
It's already happened, see attached documents.
Page 7 of the Fiji Quality Standard says (note the emphasis I added)...

"Kavalactones must have a chemotype where the first three components are 2, 4 and 6 (in any order). any variety not having this chemotype is considered undesirable and is excluded from this standard."

If I'm reading this correctly, kavas that don't have a chemotype 246 (in any order) are simply not covered by the standard. That is, they are "excluded." It is a Fijian standard, after all. All native Fijian cultivars are nominally 246 (in any order). Some other noble kavas are not. There's plenty of 245xxx in Vanuatu. I've even seen authentic Fijian roots come back as 423xxx.

I do wish that all kava exported from Fiji was labeled honestly. Mixing in some borogu is right up my alley. On the other hand, I'd rather not chug a bunch of palisi.

For what it's worth, "Kava the Pacific Elixir" lists the following chemotypes for PNG cultivars...

Bundun, Morobe: 165324
Kau Kupwe, Baluan: 165324
Koniak, Madang: 256134
Borosak, Karkar: 215634
Ume, Fly: 256413
Isa, Usino: 254631
Sipaia, Morobe: 256341
Iwi, Madang: 256431
Ayou, Karkar: 254613

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It's already happened, see attached documents.
Note that this is not law yet. There will be a kava council and that council will come up with regulations governing the trade of kava in Fiji.

Unfortunately this council will likely be stacked with the big exporters who're already heavily engaged in the import and re-export of Vanuatu kava. A tudei ban would hurt them slightly in the short term so they're likely to push back against any attempt to restrict the import of tudei (or any mandated testing of their product).

Let's see how things go...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Note that this is not law yet. There will be a kava council and that council will come up with regulations governing the trade of kava in Fiji.

Unfortunately this council will likely be stacked with the big exporters who're already heavily engaged in the import and re-export of Vanuatu kava. A tudei ban would hurt them slightly in the short term so they're likely to push back against any attempt to restrict the import of tudei (or any mandated testing of their product).

Let's see how things go...
Boy, I really miss the Fijian kava I used to get 20-30 years ago. It was pure Fijian and it was good. It was in a class all by it self. It was different from all other kava's, Hawaiian, Vanuatu, Tongan and so on. It makes me sad that these big exporters help to make pure Fijian kava a hard thing to come by for most people. Aloha.

Chris

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Boy, I really miss the Fijian kava I used to get 20-30 years ago. It was pure Fijian and it was good. It was in a class all by it self. It was different from all other kava's, Hawaiian, Vanuatu, Tongan and so on. It makes me sad that these big exporters help to make pure Fijian kava a hard thing to come by for most people. Aloha.

Chris
You should try Squanch's kava one these days, I am not sure what Fijian was like 20+ years ago, but his kava comes from a small family owned farm in Fiji. It's the best one I ever had next to Damu maybe as a close second.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You should try Squanch's kava one these days, I am not sure what Fijian was like 20+ years ago, but his kava comes from a small family owned farm in Fiji. It's the best one I ever had next to Damu maybe as a close second.
I've been drinking Squanch now for almost a year and had three different, distinct batches, each one lighter and less nasty tasting than the previous. All good, but it's losing its characteristic "driving past Bayonne, NJ on a hot humid day when you have a bad oil leak and your catalytic converter is starting to go" pong. Like it's about to go legit and shed the rebel image. Still great kava any way you slice it. In a class of its own. If you want a strong balanced kava that will mercilessly kick you in the testicles and then laugh about it and get you to laugh along, then only Squanch can do this for you. From the very first time I drank it I recall saying "I'm going to drink this stuff every Thursday for the rest of my life." And I have.

John Sanday

Kava Curious
Bula @John Sanday.
Because of its propensity to cause unpleasant side-effects, Isa is likely to remain a niche kava. I suppose that's a good thing for yourself and the two or three Hawaiians growing it (there's always money to be made in niche products), but have you tried to acquire noble cultivars of kava from Vanuatu to grow in PNG?
Bula vinaka Bro, quite the opposite Guy, PNG Kava does not give unpleasant side effects. I'm not sure if you have actually tried the real "Tudei" variety from Vanuatu that actually does give you a two day hangover? PNG Kava certainly doesnt do that, I drink this stuff with my friends and colleagues all the time and even in Fiji my friends would imbibe till the early hours of the morning and they all comment the next day that the effect is actually opposite, that PNG Kava gave a you a fresh halo feeling when you woke up in the morning. As I said, I have been drinking this stuff since 2003 so I think I am allowed to qualify myself as a believer and commentator notwithstanding te fact that I am also selling it. But even my importers in Fiji speak highly of our Kava and the pleasant side effects it gives. We just need to be careful that we are comparing apples to apples here. Just wanted to get that clarity across Bro, vinaka.

D

Deleted User01

Several years ago, I bought a kava named Koniak and presumably it was PNG. One never really knows for sure with Tudei. I remember waking up at 5am (as his my custom) and wandering all over the driveway looking for the newspaper. I felt like I was still drunk. Now I wake up at 5am because I work about 10 hours a day at a job that requires that my brain be ready to rock at the git go. I felt "zonked" for most of the morning and I ended up sending the left over kava to a friend on the forums (you know who you are). I will say that I did not get physically ill and no kava has ever made me sick. I guess that's why we give these kavas code names like "weekend kava" or "medicinal kava". However, I also have a lot of stuff to do on the weekends too so I stay away from "weekend kavas". But each to his own.

John Sanday

Kava Curious
Several years ago, I bought a kava named Koniak and presumably it was PNG. One never really knows for sure with Tudei. I remember waking up at 5am (as his my custom) and wandering all over the driveway looking for the newspaper. I felt like I was still drunk. Now I wake up at 5am because I work about 10 hours a day at a job that requires that my brain be ready to rock at the git go. I felt "zonked" for most of the morning and I ended up sending the left over kava to a friend on the forums (you know who you are). I will say that I did not get physically ill and no kava has ever made me sick. I guess that's why we give these kavas code names like "weekend kava" or "medicinal kava". However, I also have a lot of stuff to do on the weekends too so I stay away from "weekend kavas". But each to his own.

Wow, that definitely has not been the reaction or complaint I have got from anyone of my clients who drink our PNG Kava. As I keep saying, the Fijians working and living in PNG drink our Kava and they keep coming back to buy more. I have a big customer in New Cal that says his customers just love the PNG Kava we export there and they just can't get enough of our Kava on time there, The same for Fiji. We cant keep up with orders. Given that we all live in capitalist economies, the market test is the ultimate test of success. If the customers are buying and coming back repeatedly then you have to agree with me that the product is popular.

To be honest Sir, you feeling drunk at 5am looking for the newspaper probably has to do more with the concentration of kava you mixed for yourself and the amount you consumed the night before. It'd have to be a pretty thick and concentrated wash and you would have drunk a lot till the early hours to give you that effect the next morning. There is no way in the world a shell or three would make you feel that way the next morning. Further, you said "PRESUMABLY" it was PNG. From my experience since I have been drinking this PNG Kava from 2003, I will get a hangover if I hadn't had enough sleep and the concentration was so thick plus I drank far too much......which would be the same effect from drinking any kind of Kava noble included.

In any case, I hope you are still drinking and enjoying Kava. Cheers