What's new

Kava Science Expanding my home lab...

A

Adam

I may be wrong but it's obviously hard to take some "amateurs" in a forum discrediting your kava and your business when you've went to lengths to pay a healthy sum of money to 'professionals' and next thing your getting told that was a waste of time and your selling something completely different to what you believe, with fantastic foundation for belief. I can understand that completely
Just looking at it from judds and some others vendors who have a vested interests point of view

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench - You can't invite scrutiny, then complain when you get it. It's only natural that those who do the most bragging about their standards will be held to those standards, and that's exactly what's happening here. Other vendors have been "called out", and they are responding in ways you are not aware of. But you, more than anyone, have come to the defense of your products in a very vocal manner, at first denying any problems, then thankfully admitting there is a problem in the supply line and ramping up your own testing. I admire that greatly, and am thankful for the very positive steps you are taking toward ensuring the future of kava for all.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be bragging about your product, I think that is the mark of a dedicated businessman. But understand that when you do so, you may be challenged, and you will have to deal with the many personalities who, like you, have a great passion for kava. Don't for a minute think I don't have the same issues - I often think long and hard before I hit the "Post Reply" button, and even then I sometimes make posts where my passion overrides my courtesy. But if we all take care and try to get along, I'm confident the results will be beneficial for many, many kava consumers in years to come.
Guess I'll probably commence to mouth shutting then. It seems to have served the other vendors well. Again, I'm looking forward to your testing results. I think they'll be good for business and along with my posted results will do the bragging for me.

A

Adam

Guess I'll probably commence to mouth shutting then. It seems to have served the other vendors well. Again, I'm looking forward to your testing results. I think they'll be good for business and along with my posted results will do the bragging for me.
I hope so. I love a nice flashy website when buying products (must be a mug, haha)that's why I bought from you in the first place, great website!! Shame the fu'u isn't there now I'm through the reverse tolerance, was some easy drinking grog

violet

Do all things with love
I think when it comes to research the more groups there are running tests, the better picture we will have of what we are looking at with test results. The entire basis of the scientific method to employ methods that will allow to replicate results with repeated tests. HPLC, and it would appear also that solvent testing, does just that. If a 6-year old child drops a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate into an acetic acid solution at the kitchen table, the results would be the same as if a PhD researcher drops a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate into an acetic acid solution in a clean room in a research facility with expensive equipment.

Equipment that was complex years ago is less complex and more available now. I can't discount what Deleted User is doing because he gets referred to as "amateur" and doesn't have the high tech research lab of an established facility. I don't think anyone is saying the certified labs that Judd is using are inferior to Deleted User's testing. The questions are coming because test results are not matching to what the expected results should be. We've spent a lot of time tearing away at the solvent test, I think it will be awesome to have HPLC results to go with each solvent test. While Deleted User isn't using a dedicated, professional lab I can't imagine his HPLC and solvent test results are going to be so inaccurate that we should not give them consideration.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Judd Rench ....I'm still irked by the blacking out of any information that would refer to the Kava or the vendor in question but you have your reasons and I will have to be happy with that. ......
I totally think it's appropriate for the AKA to not disclose the results of testing from those who have asked for tests. But I do think that vendors who have had their products tested should post the results on their respective websites. AND I think we (as consumers) should demand vendors to test and display the results of their tests. It just boil downs to wanting to know what I am getting for my money.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I hope so. I love a nice flashy website when buying products (must be a mug, haha)that's why I bought from you in the first place, great website!! Shame the fu'u isn't there now I'm through the reverse tolerance, was some easy drinking grog
I'm the same way about websites. I look at them as a sign of professionalism, and there really is usually a correlation. Have you seen our new one? It's real purty!

As for the Fu'u, we're having a hard time getting it again. Supplier is a little flaky. Try the new Melo Melo. Super smooth. Someone posted a comment about that on our subforum recently.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I totally think it's appropriate for the AKA to not disclose the results of testing from those who have asked for tests. But I do think that vendors who have had their products tested should post the results on their respective websites. AND I think we (as consumers) should demand vendors to test and display the results of their tests. It just boil downs to wanting to know what I am getting for my money.
Yep, ours will be made public on our website, just without the proprietary information.
@violet I'm not discrediting Deleted User's hplc testing at all, although doing it correctly, from what I understand isn't something easily learned, which is why it's trained scientists who have been using that equipment for the most part. Deleted User seems like a smart dude though. I'm sure he'll be able to learn. If and when certain other tests are 100% verified, I won't have anything negative to say about those either. I honestly look forward to results.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....If a 6-year old child drops a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate into an acetic acid solution at the kitchen table, the results would be the same as if a PhD researcher drops a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate into an acetic acid solution in a clean room in a research facility with expensive equipment.....
Yes!!! Right On. If someone claims they can create cold fusion, everyone should be able to create cold fusion.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The idea that only trained scientists can operate certain equipment with accuracy is a common one, but consider this: The majority of lab work cited in peer reviewed papers is in fact performed by undergraduate or graduate students under the supervision of the credentialed author. My situation is not much different; I have considerable experience in repair and reconditioning of this equipment and thus am quite familiar with its operation, and I have several consultants guiding me through the process, including the lead chemist of a certified lab. So while I have no letters after my name, I'm not just some hack playing with test tubes in his garage.
Which is why I stated that I'm sure you can learn.

A

Adam

The idea that only trained scientists can operate certain equipment with accuracy is a common one, but consider this: The majority of lab work cited in peer reviewed papers is in fact performed by undergraduate or graduate students under the supervision of the credentialed author. My situation is not much different; I have considerable experience in repair and reconditioning of this equipment and thus am quite familiar with its operation, and I have several consultants guiding me through the process, including the lead chemist of a certified lab. So while I have no letters after my name, I'm not just some hack playing with test tubes in his garage.
This is very true Deleted User, I was recently given the job of testing and repairing some bits of kit with 10 grand a piece, the test equipment is quite fancy but all I was doing was following a methodical set of instructions wrote down in front of me then usin my own prior fault finding skills to solve and fix the problem. Someone from the outside may say that a person tampering with that kind of equipment needs letters after their name, which u really don't and I don't but Im more than capable

Tyler

Kava Vendor
Imagine if I told the forum that the AKA is going to operate a used HPLC machine at my house, that I am currently learning how to use it properly and that this will be the method used to test everyones kava for the AKA. lol with the amount of BS that we have dealt using credentialed botanical labs.... I can only imagine how much crap we would have to hear about, you guys would laugh us out of the atmosphere. Gotta love the double standard on here lol. I cant even get my feathers ruffled over it anymore its so blatent.

Last edited:
A

Adam

Imagine if I told the forum that the AKA is going to operate a used HPLC machine at my house, that I am currently learning how to use it properly and that this will be the method used to test everyones kava for the AKA. Lol. I mean look at the amount of BS we have dealt with over using credentialed botanical labs.... I can only imagine how much crap we would have to hear about, you guys would laugh us out of the atmosphere. Gotta love the double standards on here lol. I cant even get ruffled over it anymore its so blatent.
That's the thing isn't it, we have standards for a reason and in my line of work we have to go on course after course to prove that we are suitably qualified, experienced persons for every little task we do. Standards change constantly , along with the way we should or should not do things, the whole point of being qualified and experienced in a task is so that everybody knows nothing has been missed in the process, not through fault of wanting to do the right thing just through fault by not having the very up to date training and information regarding, law, guidelines, safety and resources available

verticity

I'm interested in things
Imagine if I told the forum that the AKA is going to operate a used HPLC machine at my house, that I am currently learning how to use it properly and that this will be the method used to test everyones kava for the AKA. lol with the amount of BS that we have dealt using credentialed botanical labs.... I can only imagine how much crap we would have to hear about, you guys would laugh us out of the atmosphere. Gotta love the double standard on here lol. I cant even get my feathers ruffled over it anymore its so blatent.
Well, there is a double standard, because the testing the AKA and Deleted User are doing are really 2 different things. The AKA is a small group of vendors who are testing their kava (before selling it, one would hope), using certified labs, approved standards, everything by the book. And I'm really glad that you are doing that, and wish that more in the business would do so. Because you are in business. Deleted User, on the other hand, is one enthusiastic guy, doing post-consumer testing. Someone buys some kava from an unknown vendor, with scant information about it, and they send it to him, who tests it with the equipment available to him as best he can. For free, I might add. Deleted User to me represents consumers defending themselves, and empowering themselves, and that to me is a good thing. He has never claimed to be a certified, professional botanical lab, but that is not the point. He represents the little guys, and I think what he is doing has already proven valuable as a goad to you big guys to improve your quality control.

Tyler

Kava Vendor
Agreed.

To clarify, Im not knocking Deleted User at all with that post, Im knocking the fact that there is a pretty blatent double standard from those few who have done everything in their power to cast doubt on the validity of our tests and the legitimacy of our intentions. These few, even when provided with overwhelming amounts of raw data on our exhaustive testing protocols, go so far as to call Lab Directors and waste their time, say that even the most qualified labs are totally worthless, and even outright call into question our member's integrity... Only to follow this sort of critcism up with placing someone who has yet to run a single HPLC, among the ranks of Lebot. Its absolutely mind numbing.