What's new

Member Soapbox And this time it's a good one. As in good news.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Capitán Bastos so let's see... so far you are looking good as far as your business plan goes... I know you know business. But if I might offer a small probably not very important suggestion (what do I know? I'm not a businessman), maybe you should consider offering some kind of product or service for sale. I don't know, like I said, I'm not a businessman of your stature.

I guess I should add, 'specific' products. Because I realize you did mention 'products' of some kind.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
So.
Momentum be huuuuge.

But, there is a time/cost situation. I´m afraid it will take a little longer before you guys and anyone you know will be able to give me money and receive stuff in the mail.
Thing is, today I had a very important meeting, could prove pivotal as in tipping the scales in my favour. Like winning an election last minute.
To put this in perspective, a quick backdrop:

Exactly one year ago, I was pawning bottles and eating canned tuna, oats and rice. I know people all over have it worse, but that was the situation.
Even though I took all the extra shifts I could get and generally worked my ass off. My ex was suing for full custody of our daughter and I had to go to court without representation. I´ve supported my wife and daughter with one income.

That´s what you get for giving a damn and giving up sales for a job in the psych ward at half the hourly rate.

I almost died going to this meeting btw.

October last year, things started to change. I landed a municipal contract, initially intended for up to a month. Now it´s may. This meant up to 90+ hrs a week, and meetings to boot. Still at it.

my meeting today was at 2:30 pm, I don´t have a driver´s license, so I had to get the bus. Missed the first bus and rode my kick bike to the stop for the connecting bus. If I had waited for the next bus, I would be an hour late and by then the meeting would be over, not so professional looking.
Now, it had been raining and there was literally water flowing on the pavement. This meant I had no brakes. Also, my neck is acting up, so to turn my head I have to turn my whole body and this was 80% down hill.

I guess yesterday´s punani uno, still had some effect, I also had some mate before I left. I was so focused, yet relaxed only giving the danger a slight thought when sitting on the bus.

What was the meeting about?

Well, another contract.
by next week I will be employing 5 people. And it looks like I might have to expand in a month or so.

It does something to me.

It makes me proud and humbles me at the same time, being given this trust and responsibility.
Also, I was able to get my wife an interview and she got the job, she also got a second job on her own and now has three jobs, just like me.

All my life people have told me what I can´t do.
All my life I´ve had people telling me what I should do.
And most of the time I have had people telling me what to do.

Freedom to me, Is being able to stake out your own course, make your own decisions and do it your own way.
Not being told what and whatnot to do.
I´m not there yet, but I can see the contours on the horizon.
I´m here to tell those of you with dreams and doubts.
You can.
Anyone can pursue their dreams.
You might not end up where you wanted to be, not exactly, but if you keep chasing your dream, you will get hell of a lot closer than if you don´t.

Don´t put all your trust in others. Trust yourself. Believe in your own qualities.

Work your ass off and one day it will make sense.

I still pawn bottles.

Al Gore said it would save the planet, that´s not why I do it.
I do it because I believe in recycling.
The money I get, I either give to my daughter or to charity.

I still eat tuna, but not from a can and not every day.

The best part is.

Noone made this happen for me.
They presented me with an opportunity and I took it.
This wasn't handed to me.

I built it.

I just hope it holds together lol.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Serena Williams is generous with her beauty.... That's enough for me.
lol
indeed, she has a generous beauty.
I doubt she will accept your money though.
Where as I will be happy to take your money and offer nothing in return, if that's what you want. You can still take in all of Serena's beauty on a 80" 4K Curved display in slow motion for all I care, for free. So I will help you out.

Last edited:

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Awwwww. ::hugsmiley::
Ya done good, kid.
thank you kindly, great cloud with a cat face,
only on kava forums will an emoticon hug feel like a real one.
Probably only after kava as well.

The irony of the day is what I had for both lunch and dinner was rice, chicken hearts and chicken liver.
Wifey left for work and when she got back, I topped off the punani uno and vavavoom with pulled turkey, mushrooms and bacon in a hickory something sauce with carolina reaper hot sauce.

Whenever you have days like this, when everything just seem to "click", take note so you have something to think of when it doesn't.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
The Civil War is over. Long live the Civil War!

Nothing to be happy about here, except that Africa is always over there and have I a big farm and a beautiful family over there (who I wanted to bring over here, but now not so much...)

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
@verticity Of course I will take your money. You can PM me for my PayPal right now if you want. It will be longer before I can send something in your mail for the money you send me, but if you want to send me your money because you have too much, I'll accept them. I'm always willing to do that for you. So you can relax.

@Edward sometimes I feel like you're the only one on the planet who really "gets me" , you know?

@Kavasseur I don't understand.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Well, as the father of children who will be labeled as "black" I increasingly fear for their safety. We are a country that has gone to war with itself. There are people out there who want to "cleanse" America and "Make America White Again."

I'm afraid. That's why I love living in big, leafy, and friendly Africa where the horizons expand and you can shed off all your tensions... Giving Kava to my kids won't keep them safe. That's for sure.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Well, as the father of children who will be labeled as "black" I increasingly fear for their safety. We are a country that has gone to war with itself. There are people out there who want to "cleanse" America and "Make America White Again."

I'm afraid. That's why I love living in big, leafy, and friendly Africa where the horizons expand and you can shed off all your tensions... Giving Kava to my kids won't keep them safe. That's for sure.
I guess my daughter would get that lable as well, while I understand that concern, I don't believe ignorance to have great viability in the evolutionary sense. Also, I've been told that children of mixed heritage have greater prospects, stronger immune system etc.. Something about the stronger genes coming together as one.
I know quite the few africans, funny thing though, most of the Africans I've talked with about Obama, says "Not really black".
Back to those ignorant people, they probably have a higher rate of inbreeding, so the problem should take care of itself in time. What I didn't understand was how this was related to sending me money for stuff.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I guess my daughter would get that lable as well, while I understand that concern, I don't believe ignorance to have great viability in the evolutionary sense. Also, I've been told that children of mixed heritage have greater prospects, stronger immune system etc.. Something about the stronger genes coming together as one.
I know quite the few africans, funny thing though, most of the Africans I've talked with about Obama, says "Not really black".
Back to those ignorant people, they probably have a higher rate of inbreeding, so the problem should take care of itself in time. What I didn't understand was how this was related to sending me money for stuff.
Just curious, what do you mean by "Africans" here? Do you mean African Americans or Africans? Because most Africans love Obama, except the ones who hate him because he supports same-sex couples (much of Africa is very homophobic). African Americans are a whole different culture, ethnicity, and people in general from Africans. Even in Africa, you have to be a bit more specific. There is no love between Sudanese and South Sudanese, Ghanaian and Nigerian, Sierra Leonean and Liberian, Rwandan and Congolese, etc. It's just too big of a place to make any generalizations about. It's easy from the outside to say "oh, all those people kind of look the same."

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Talking of Africa , well actually south Africa specifically, my Great Aunt particularly, along with my Great Uncle, were instrumental in the first attempts at ending Apartheid. Margaret Ballinger was the first female leader of the new liberal party in South Africa, and still has a few child care centers named after her. She was lovingly called "the Queen of the Blacks" for her humanitarian attempts to help their cause. Her husband (my maternal great uncle) was also instrumental in setting up the cooperative and trade union movements but was pretty much hated and annihilated by a lot of the old school politicians of the time because he was not well educated and had a tendency to be just a tad outspoken! One of the "black" leaders of the time - whose name escapes me - came over to London to discuss the "african policy" with the English government of the time, and my mom remembers sitting on his knee and him reading a story to her. He gave her a signed copy of the book but sadly she lost it - could have been worth something. I managed to get hold of many of their papers and photographs from the University of the Witwatersrand where their works are archived. Interesting reading.