What's new

First time....

karly

The fluffy pic.
OK, this is my first time and I mixed 11 Year Waka Micronized Kava Root, 2 tablespoons in about 12oz. water. Drank half and nothing. 30 minutes later I drank the other half and while my throat got a little numb and the back of my tongue, still not much of an effect.

So my question is, do I try more, do I try another type. I have about 7 different Kava.

Borogu
Melo Melo
Nambawan
Vanuatu Instant Green - all of these are from Bula Kava House
----------------------------
Special Reserve Kava
Premium Quality Kava - both of these are from Real Kava.com
----------------------------

OR should I call it a day and not push the subject?

Thanks for your input!!

D

Deleted User01

You are experiencing Reverse Tolerance. That means it will take a week or two to feel effects. Just keep at it and you will get there before you know it. You never know how long it will take but 2 weeks should be the max. When you wake up tomorrow, tell us if you thought you slept any better or not. I'm always curious about that.

karly

The fluffy pic.
So don't drink anymore today?

And I will let you know how I feel. I am logging everything like you suggested too.

MedDog

Primum non nocere
Hey! I just tried my first home-prepared kava too! I first tried it at a local Kava bar. Recently ordered a bunch of samples and NAH's Stone, Wow and Solomon just arrived today. I mixed up 3 teaspoons of Stone with water in a glass, strained, downed, and remixed with hot goat milk. Feeling alright, and I'm glad I didn't shoot for the moon on my first go!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
chug 2 more tablespoons of micro, mixed in about 1 or 1.5 cup of water, all at once. If you don't feel nice or wooshy after that. you probably won't get there tonight and you should start back up tomorrow.

D

Deleted User01

Hmmm, I guess if you put down a bunch more Micronized you will find out fast if your GI system can take it. That's my only reservation being as this is your first time. You could get into the instant and make a nice little mixed drink with fruit juice and/or club soda.

karly

The fluffy pic.
Hmmm, I guess if you put down a bunch more Micronized you will find out fast if your GI system can take it. That's my only reservation being as this is your first time. You could get into the instant and make a nice little mixed drink with fruit juice and/or club soda.
Would that be better? I'm not a big eater either, not much in my system other than a couple of protein bars really and I'm tiny, 5'3" 118-lbs.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'd say drink some more micro mixed with plain water. You can use some ginger beer as a chaser. The important thing is that you take 10-20 minute breaks between your cups. This way you will have the time to listen to both your mind and your stomach and hear if they like this new adventure..

karly

The fluffy pic.
I'd say drink some more micro mixed with plain water. You can use some ginger beer as a chaser. The important thing is that you take 10-20 minute breaks between your cups. This way you will have the time to listen to both your mind and your stomach and hear if they like this new adventure..
OK, will do, I'm going to do a little more and see what happens.
Thanks so much all of you, I appreciate it very much. ♥

karly

The fluffy pic.
OMG I feel good! I'm a happy camper right now! :smuggrin:
I'm going to have so much fun with this, love you guys and I'm going to lean on you all for advice so I hope I don't bother you too much until I become a veteran (of which I know will be a long time coming), just giving you a heads up in advance. lol
Very nice, very very nice indeed. That did it. ~happy girl~
Kava hugs! (and please don't mind my hugs and stuff, it's just me) I'm hiding this from my man too, he's so damn conservative and knows I'm the artsy side while he's the brainiac side. I'm getting a tattoo on my wrist and he's having a fit and I told him to deal with it (just a small band around my wrist and no more).
OK I'll shut up now. lol

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Cheers. FWIW people I know have been remarkably accepting of my kava drinking. I explained it basically to my entire extended family a few weeks ago and they didn't bat an eye. If it's legal it must be safe I guess..

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
So don't drink anymore today?

And I will let you know how I feel. I am logging everything like you suggested too.
It's ok to keep drinking as much as you want. But at some point drinking too much will probably give you stomach problems or nausea. I use 11 year all the time and if you have reverse tolerance, I think it's a great one to help you break through. Just stick with it and if possible make sure you drink with an empty stomach.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
You can push through Reverse Tolerance all at once. One time, long ago, before your grandfather's grandfather was born, in the South Pacific, John Frum attempted to bring the joy of kava to an island who had never known of it.

Just Google the phrase "in a single day and night of misfortune."

It's not for everyone, but it did work for @Adil Ghiasi, who drank about 14 red solo cups, if memory serves me right.

D

Deleted User01

I always worry about Newbies doing too much and getting sick. But @karly may have a cast iron stomach, you really never know. Anyway, it's morning now and time for a full report. How did you sleep? How do you feel? I have always wondered about sleep because I felt that I did sleep better when I first started. Perhaps it is a benefit that Newbies can experience on day one.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Looks like that kava buzz changed her from a cartoon, to a real live girl!
@Deleted User01 , I remember in my early kava days, the sleep benefit was always there...even when I wasn't capable of achieving the full buzz.:sleep:

D

Deleted User01

@shakas, that sleep benefit is huge. It should be enough to keep Newbies hanging in there while they go thru reverse tolerance. That is my point and something we can point out to them whenever they get started on kava. Honestly, when I look at all the benefits of Kava, I rank sleep as number 1. Even when I have gnarly things on my mind, the kava just says "shit happens get over it" and I go to sleep.

karly

The fluffy pic.
I always worry about Newbies doing too much and getting sick. But @karly may have a cast iron stomach, you really never know. Anyway, it's morning now and time for a full report. How did you sleep? How do you feel? I have always wondered about sleep because I felt that I did sleep better when I first started. Perhaps it is a benefit that Newbies can experience on day one.
Morning! I feel a tiny winy bit hungover but the kava effects last night, in terms of "really" feeling it was short lived.

Sleep was ok, it took a while to get to sleep due to I was smelling the kava and had a tiny taste in my mouth and that was not a happy making thing. Then my cat woke me up around 3am and I felt a bit sick to my stomach. Sick stomach and I go way back though so I can't say it was kava induced. Coffee made me sick for years until I changed my eating habits, no sugar-no flour and now I can drink it until the cows come home. I also did not have much to eat yesterday of which I'm going to eat today and make sure it's some substantial protein prior to my cup of kava.

I'll get this thing! Unless the foul taste gets me first! :p

And yeah, I like to put a face to the type, it's coming down soon... damn spiders!

~Kava ♥ all around~

D

Deleted User01

Cheers. FWIW people I know have been remarkably accepting of my kava drinking. I explained it basically to my entire extended family a few weeks ago and they didn't bat an eye. If it's legal it must be safe I guess..
They are always accepting if they know what the alternative is. "Wifey, I'm going to give you 2 options. I could drink 6 scotches and tell get after you for everything from A to Z or I can have Kava and relax in the couch and actually listen to your checklist of problems only because I'm too lazy to get off the couch and I'm actually trapped in the couch. So which option do you like best?" Yeh, they are accepting alright. :D