What's new

Greetings from Ireland

Thetinyskunk

Kava Curious
Hiya everyone, I have just signed up and in fact I have only learnt of the existence of Kava through the excellent science based website examine.com. I will write a more thorough introductory post at a later stage when I am.on my laptop, but I have one quick query in regards to the availability of Kava in Ireland, ie reliable supplier in UK,Europe.

Also would it be feasible to buy seeds and grow some Kava? I have a tunnel and would only grow a small amount if possible.

Thank you for any replys

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I seem to have a memory that Ireland has made it difficult to acquire kava. Can't remember exactly.
@Global Kava Exports is from Ireland but had to keep moving his business around.
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/vendors-who-ship-to-the-uk.5794/

Kava doesn't grow by seed, it grows from stem cuttings. You won't likely have any luck growing kava in Ireland, you might be able to keep one alive in a green house or something...but it would still be troublesome. Kava takes several years to mature.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks for the reply Shakas. It shouldn't be an issue getting it from the UK or main land Europe if there is a legit source
Global Kava Exports (changing their name to Kava Europe) are based in the UK and are still managing to ship for "testing purposes" but whether they will be able to ship to you in Ireland I don't know. They were based in Ireland but had to move. I know they have had a lot of legal problems recently and hopefully they can overcome those and continue shipping. The Quick Kava Powder instant is really good.

Wanderlywagon

Kava Curious
Ireland here too!

I haven't ordered kava from online in about 2 years so I can't say if things have changed, but I have previously ordered kava from BKH, paradise kava, ozia, realkava, kavabyrex, island kava, global kava exports, and kona kava (don't make the newbie mistake of ordering from there!).

All those arrived without a problem, but as I say, it's 2 years since I've tried. I have only recently got back into kava and managed to bring a supply home from a recent trip to the states. So if anyone is wondering, putting it in your checked luggage seems to be fine! Have done that twice now without a problem :). At some stage I'm going to have to take the plunge and order online again, but I'm relatively confident it will be fine.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Thetinyskunk 3 teaspoons in 200 ml of milk, shaken well in a shaker bottle. Don't try to chug it too quickly, sip it and see what you think of the taste. I don't mind it too much. Not sure if you'll feel much first time but you may well do with that one. You can repeat after an hour. Have some ginger ale to hand to drink between doses. Not too quickly after though, give the kava a chance to settle in your stomach first. Also make sure you don't eat anything for a few hours beforehand.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's a good sign. Like I say, you may not feel loads first time out but if you drink every day you will start to notice it. You can heap the teaspoons too, I count in heaped. I just had a good couple of teaspoons and starting to get that nice floaty feeling :) . It can take up to an hour for all the effects to show themselves, I'm 20 mins in and really starting to mellow.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
@Edward is right, during my first 2-3 weeks of using kava, it would take 1/2 cup or more of med grind just to get where I wanted to be. Now I get stronger effects on just 2.5 tbsp. And sometimes that's too much for me. Dont get discouraged and give up, I am glad I stuck with it, and I'm sure you will be too.