What's new

Kava Preparation Ultrasonic Kava Prep

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I wonder if concentrated ultrasonic waves passing through a metal pipe through which kava slurry is pumped in a loop would do the trick too. Just focus all that energy into a 1cm patch and freak that shit out.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
There are ultrasonic flow cells available, but it's just as easy to use a tank unless you are making an enormous amount of kava!
Usually intensive ultrasound is transmitted into small volumes via a titanium sonotrode immersed into the liquid. This method is very efficient but has the side effect that there is also cavitation at the sonotrode, which results in a small contamination with fine titanium particles into the medium. Such additions have to be avoided if a high degree of purity is demanded as for example in the pharmaceutical industry.

Bwiggy

I like plants
I bought a newish sonic jewelry cleaner at the thrift store this am.
I wonder if this type of chemical free jewelry cleaners that rely solely on sonic waves to loosen up whatever causes the discoloration would work. Structurally it seems suited to the extraction method- it is a plastic bed that holds the jewelry inside a solid metal container. It would be super easy to sanitize and clean up. There is nothing immersed into the liquid.

@HeadHodge, I think this addresses the contamination concern you raised, do you agree?

I was super happy to read what you said a couple years ago about the sonic extraction method in that other forum.
"Ed: It's an ultrasonic cleaner, used for extremely fine cleaning with no damage to the object. The principle is high frequency waves (~20k to 300k) sent through the solution, which causes microscopic bubbles to build up and collapse. This cavitation breaks down the dirt - or in this case the cell walls of the kava (hopefully!)

Krunkwise, it is pretty good. As it was getting late, I only drank about 4oz and surprisingly it had a substantial effect on me. The first and obvious difference was the mouth numbing factor, which was FAR greater than with my normal kneading method. After drinking, I laid down to watch a movie and had a totally perceptible buzz in less than ten minutes. The next thing I remember (aside from some very lucid dreams) was waking up ten hours later... This is very unlike me, I usually sleep 6-7 hours at the most. In a more social environment, I have a feeling this stuff would be a real killer krunk. I just didn't stay awake long enough to find out!

Realistically, I don't have enough ultrasonic power with this unit for the task at hand. A small lab cell disruptor would concentrate more power in a smaller container; I believe this unit is about 200w. I do have a much more powerful unit at my shop, and may continue experimentation with it too. I'm also working on a more predictable means of filtering, since the sock just doesn't cut it. The residue is so water-entrained that it's almost impossible to squeeze out, so a sieve/press device along with more thorough disruption should be an improvement.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ultrasound turns out to be really interesting, and I think may be a promising kavatone extraction technique!!!

Check out this link.
Saffron Extraction
Saffron is known as most expensive spice on the world market and is distinguished by its delicate flavour, bitter taste and attractive yellow colour. The saffron spice is obtained from the red stigma of the flower of saffron crocus. After drying, these parts are used as a seasoning in cuisine or as colouring agent. The intensive characteristic flavor of saffron results especially from three compounds: crocins, picrocrocin and safranal.

Kadkhodaee and Hemmati-Kakhki have showed in a study that ultrasonication increased the extraction yield significantly and reduced the processing time considerably. In fact, results by ultrasound extraction were conspicuously better than by traditional cold water extraction, which is proposed by ISO. For their research, Kadkhodaee and Hemmati-Kakhki have used Hielscher’s ultrasonic device UP50H. Best results have been achieved with pulsed sonication. This means that short pulse intervals were more effective than a continuous ultrasonic treatment.

Last edited:

Bwiggy

I like plants
Hi @Deleted User - 2 questions:
1)when you say "this again" - what does that mean? leave it in the ultra sonic cleaner for the same amount of time as before AND then filter, knead it? What was the process
2) I get very different results with everything I've tried so far (I'm a newbie) including Kalm with Kava concentrate depending on when I've last eaten, and maybe what I've eaten, and I guess some other factors I'm unaware of. Would you tell me the factors that affect your Krunkitude experience and how you are able to be confident about the processing = results. This is related to my previous comment about needing to test the remaining kavalactones to determine efficacy of extraction (and in no way am I questioning your Kruckssessment).

Bwiggy

I like plants
P.S. I got a "ultrasonic cleaner that uses water and 42,000 energy waves per second, 35-watt unit features solid state circuitry beneath a sealed stainless-steel tank that holds up to one pint of water at a time."

Bwiggy

I like plants
@HeadHodge - I like "conspicuously better" Great find!
where did you come across it? is the study available online so we can all check it out?
In this case, what does ISO refer to?
What's the saffron connection, if there is one? It intrigued me. No Prob if not.

I'm outta here for at least the rest of the day.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge - I like "conspicuously better" Great find!
where did you come across it? is the study available online so we can all check it out?
In this case, what does ISO refer to?
What's the saffron connection, if there is one? It intrigued me. No Prob if not.

I'm outta here for at least the rest of the day.
I included a link to whole article (right above the quote). I picked out the saffron because that was the closet application for ultrasound I could find in the article for kava extraction.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Roaddog, could you buy one of these for me?

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/78930855" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/user12493405">Using UP200St, S26d14 - Dissolving Sugar Crystals by Hielscher Ultrasonics</a>.</p>
[/parsehtml]