What's new

Kava Preparation Ultrasonic Kava Prep

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks!! One last question, I was thinking of making 6 batches for my experiment. I that too many for you to look at? If it is what would be a reasonable number for you?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
We need a traditional water prep as one. What's the variations in the others?
3 with different times of sonification (30, 60, 120 minutes) and regular 55 micron filter straining with light second wash.
3 with different time of sonification in a 70 micron steel basket with no straining. (I'll probably strain it anyways after I separate the samples first).

One thing I noticed, is that I could never get the sonifier to get the water temp much over 100 F or so (so I'm wondering if it's working with both transducers properly). What was your experience with temperature?

Bwiggy

I like plants
Hi guys - @HeadHodge - did you complete your test and send samples off? Just wondering what happened.
I tried a sonic jewelry cleaner with a metal container and plastic basket, and I placed the filter bag of kava in that. I ran the cleaner for about 10 minutes then did about 5 min. of kneading. I'd say I got decent results but could be better.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hi guys - @HeadHodge - did you complete your test and send samples off? Just wondering what happened.
I tried a sonic jewelry cleaner with a metal container and plastic basket, and I placed the filter bag of kava in that. I ran the cleaner for about 10 minutes then did about 5 min. of kneading. I'd say I got decent results but could be better.
It's on my todo list, because I think it has lot's of promise. But right now my CPU is maxed out on finishing my new review finder I'm writing. When I get focused, everything else goes by the wayside. It's the secret to my successes in life, but it's also a curse.

I will definitely give you updates when I get back to it. (y)

Bwiggy

I like plants
Perfect, thanks, @HeadHodge.
Also, what about adding freezing to the mix of test results - to see if it improves KL release by 10% or less or More!? If more, it's such an easy thing to do...
No need to reply, up to you.
Another factor I would Love to see put to the test is how the presence of fluoride affects KL release. Fluoride is known to inactivate at least 62 enzymes and inhibit more than 100.
Just thinking out loud.

Also, for some reason, I received an email when you responded. It's the only email notification I've ever received on this forum.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Hi @Deleted User

Just tried this again with the same ultrasonic unit and Boronguru. Due to the coarser grind, filtering and squeezing was much easier, and the effects were very pronounced, a powerful brew. But here's the catch: I'm very familiar with the effects of this cultivar, and they just weren't the same. Good, but definitely different, more sedating than normal. I've saved the makas for my extraction efficiency experiments, hopefully that will give a clue to what is happening.
I assume you did the sonification for the same amount of time ?
Curious how you established 24 min. as the optimal time for sonification? Testing different times?

Many thanks for bringing the science!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Perfect, thanks, @HeadHodge.
Also, what about adding freezing to the mix of test results - to see if it improves KL release by 10% or less or More!? If more, it's such an easy thing to do...
No need to reply, up to you.
Another factor I would Love to see put to the test is how the presence of fluoride affects KL release. Fluoride is known to inactivate at least 62 enzymes and inhibit more than 100.
Just thinking out loud.

Also, for some reason, I received an email when you responded. It's the only email notification I've ever received on this forum.
Well, I'm collaborating with @violet on this, and I believe she's thinking we should try creating a batch of liposomes from it (similar to the way lipo-C is made). If you know anything about that sort of stuff, you're input would be welcome too. :)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I sent 5 samples of Borongoru to @Deleted User a while back. I was hoping to test:

1. Does lecithin improve extraction?
2. Does freezing soaked kava release more kavalactones via cell disruption?

To that end I sent:

1. Borongoru dry powder.
2. Borongoru with tradtional prep with lecithin.
3. Borongoru with traditional prep without lecithin.
4. Frozen and then room-temperature thawed Borongoru without lecithin.
5. Frozen and then microwave oven thawed Borongoru without lecithin.

I was curious also whether microwaving soaked kava would cause additional cell disruption over just freezing it.

TK Group Labs has been busy Fighting the Good Fight with other samples, but mine are prepped and waiting a run. Deleted User reassures me that he'll get to them, so we may get some data, here.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
@Steve Mariotti , I'd love to see the results. I'll keep my eye out. New thread, do you think?
I bet we won't see any difference with the lecithin - it's power is in digestive absorption, promoting absorption, much like ginger and cayenne pepper would.
If that's the case, then adding the lecithin at the end would make the most sense, not at the beginning and before straining. Was I doing that wrong? I thought the lecithin was dissolved in the warm water before adding the root.

I may mix up some in a small amount of hot water and add it to the brewed kava and see how that goes.

Bwiggy

I like plants
From what I understand, lecithin assists the body in breaking down the kavalactones. I can't find the original reference for this, but on page 57 of Leblon's book, the importance of lecithin is mentioned for absorbtion. "The active substances..... become available to the drinker after emulsification."
Also, "this explains why the kava drink prepared by grinding or pounding rootstock often has less psychological effect than that finely chewed emulsified rootstock."
I'm only interested in the emulsification, not pre-mastication....:smuggrin:

So, @Steve Mariotti, it would seem that adding the lecithin to the kava mix as the final step before drinking would make the most sense. Also, it seems that
it is not expected to affect the extraction prior to digestion.....except that it makes it really difficult to knead when it's mixed with kava. that was super not fun to discover. :eggonface:

I came across this "it’s important not to heat your water beyond 140 degrees Fahrenheit because the root’s active kavalactones have been shown to break down at temperatures higher than this." That's way below boiling. How do you get your water this hot, but not hotter? ::singing2::

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I just mix tap water with kettle water and jab my finger in there. If I can keep it there, I'm good.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I sent 5 samples of Borongoru to @Deleted User a while back. I was hoping to test:

1. Does lecithin improve extraction?
2. Does freezing soaked kava release more kavalactones via cell disruption?

To that end I sent:

1. Borongoru dry powder.
2. Borongoru with tradtional prep with lecithin.
3. Borongoru with traditional prep without lecithin.
4. Frozen and then room-temperature thawed Borongoru without lecithin.
5. Frozen and then microwave oven thawed Borongoru without lecithin.

I was curious also whether microwaving soaked kava would cause additional cell disruption over just freezing it.

TK Group Labs has been busy Fighting the Good Fight with other samples, but mine are prepped and waiting a run. Deleted User reassures me that he'll get to them, so we may get some data, here.
Curious..... How did you send the samples. A transport tube or ????

Bwiggy

I like plants
What do you think about this as a first generation "kava machine?"

You can control the temp and time easily.
Once it completes a cycle, then knead for five minutes and add it to a mix of lecithin + a bit of ginger (for digestion and taste) + maybe a bit of fat of some kind (coconut oil, milk whatever).

Last edited by a moderator: