What's new

Kava Preparation Ultrasonic Kava Prep

Bwiggy

I like plants
On a break.....
I found this on eBay.com.. Title : Ultrasonic assisted extraction of carrageenan from seaweed
This book contains the extraction methodology of carrageenan from seaweeds using ultrasonic technique. A brief discussion on the characteristics, applications of i-Carrageenan and its extraction techniques. It has the mathematical modeling of solid-liquid mass transfer coefficient of i-Carrageenan in aqueous solutions and its modifications.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Here is the unit I am using: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html Input is 160w but no idea what wattage the actual transducer is, I suspect it is only about 25w. It does have a heater and I'm sure that's included in the 160w rating.

I also have an L & R Quantrex 650 unit with ~400w total transducer power, but it's a bit large (6 1/2 gallons) for this kind of work!
Thanks I'm looking at one that has 2 70w transducers. Do you think 140w is powerful enough? They also have a 1 70w transducer model too.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Sanitary conditions/cleaning was mentioned, bear in mind that a separate container with the kava/water mix can be submerged in the ultrasonic water bath with similar results. The kava doesn't have to go right in the tank, I just did it here 'cause I'm lazy. Best energy transfer is achieved with a hard container, i.e. glass or stainless steel.
If you used a glass measuring cup (or something like that) with the water and kava in it. Would you place it alone in the sonifier or would you also have to add water in the sonifer itself?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Roaddog, could you buy one of these for me?

[parsehtml]
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/78930855" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/user12493405">Using UP200St, S26d14 - Dissolving Sugar Crystals by Hielscher Ultrasonics</a>.</p>
[/parsehtml]
Well first I must get one myself. ;). Much Love Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
We need to stealth it up for dudes...maybe some fake wood panelling and a knockoff maytag logo. Your wife can just tell guests it's your food deglutenifier or something and it'll be cool.
Yea... Instead of saying you're using it to rupture the cell structures of plants, it's used to rip a hole in time and space. ::uhhuhhz::

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
@Deleted User I went ahead and ordered the one from Amazon. I'll be happy to send you any samples if you want. Just let me know, if you do.
Awesome!

I'd love to know your experiences with it.

I'm also curious if additional kneading after ultrasonic treatment could potentially improve kavain extraction too. I'm still thinking of the Mr. Kava machine and what combination of processes would maximize extraction of all the interesting stuff.

Bwiggy

I like plants
@HeadHodge - I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience and @Deleted User 's results from the analysis!

It would be very cool to see an analysis of kava before sonic process and after sonic process. It would have to be kava from the same batch to get the full extent of the impact the process had.