What's new

Kava Preparation Ultrasonic Kava Prep

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Well, 5 varieties now since I just used up my Mahakea tonight.

It sounds like a wealth of kava, but it's not a large quantity per... unless you count the Kalm Borongoru which I still have almost a pound of. I need to stop buying kava, or I'll be all-run-out of both my house and the kava.
Just buy an Ultrasonic cleaner and put it on the kitchen counter, then all your problems will be solved. :)

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Just buy an Ultrasonic cleaner and put it on the kitchen counter, then all your problems will be solved. :)
Yeah, what's the verdict on the supersonic extraction, @HeadHodge? Inquiring minds want to know. Solid kava prep investment, or $70 eBay boondoggle?

All my problems may be solved on one front, but then there's the issue of "What the fuck is this doing in our limited counter space?" issue.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Yeah, what's the verdict on the supersonic extraction, @HeadHodge? Inquiring minds want to know. Solid kava prep investment, or $70 eBay boondoggle?
Used it yesterday (for the first time) to make some Nambawan. It actually came out pretty good (that's what I've been drinking all day today). But I wasn't going to report on it until I fine tuned my prep and made sure I got consistent results. I sonified it for 30 minutes then strained it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. But since you asked.... the next thing I'm going to try is using the metal basket it came with. What I'm going to do is put the kava in a strainer (I'm waiting for the 55 micron I just ordered), then put it in the basket and sonify it. I'm hoping it will be like a huge tea bag and make kava for me without kneading or straining. I'm also (potentially) working with @violet to use some interesting liposomal techniques too. ::happyshell::

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Putting the kava in a bag may decrease the effectiveness, it's best if the sonic waves make direct contact. I can't wait for your thread!
What do you think about using the included metal basket? Wouldn't that block bubbles too? The instructions say not to place anything directly on the bottom. I wonder why?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
What do you think about using the included metal basket? Wouldn't that block bubbles too? The instructions say not to place anything directly on the bottom. I wonder why?
I must try out this ultra sonic thing. I often use Ultra sonic humidifiers, in some of my projects. it by far, makes a nicer mist, than regular humidifiers. I often use it in the winter, to make my heating bill cheaper. Because humidified air, seems to merge with the heat, causing the heat to stay longer. I know, I over complicate things. But If I am heating, say a green house, it seems to matter. So I am quit familiar with ultrasonic technology. I bit it could be used well or mixing.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
The basket would be fine, it's just soft things like the cloth bag that could damp the action. Direct contact with the bottom could cause scratches in jewelry and such and/or wear a hole in the tank bottom from the vibration, and if the cleaner is heated it could burn things. Not really an issue with kava, it doesn't collect on the bottom but basically floats.

You can half-fill the tank with water, then partially submerse a glass bottle containing the kava/water mixture. Makes it easier to get it out vs tipping the tank, and the waves pass right through glass.

Ooops, one more thing: Part of the cycle is degassing the water, dissolved air inhibits the sonic action. You'll notice an increase in waves that shows this is happening.
Thanks for tip. I don't really see the advantage of using the bottle (except maybe the pouring part). What do you think about using a metal basket with something like a 55 to 100 micron mesh instead?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I did a little more research.... There are lots of examples where ultrasound is being used to sew or weld nylon material together. So think I'll nix my test to sonify a strainer bag full of kava. I'm too worried that all I will do is fuse or melt the strainer and ruin the kava. ::nooooooo::

But I also found that metal is a good conductor of ultrasonic frequencies, even through solid metal. So now I'm interested in making or buying a 50-100 micron metal mesh basket to try instead of the strainer bag. I could use some help (from anyone) to help me find a metal basket that's not too big, not too expensive, and has the right micron mesh size.

The closest I've been able to find so far are little baskets for hops. They fit the bill except that all the ones I found are 300 micron or larger. :( Maybe @Deleted User01 could help me out here.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've seen some 50 micron steel screen material on eBay. Could probably be folded into a trough shape.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've seen some 50 micron steel screen material on eBay. Could probably be folded into a trough shape.
I also found micron rated screen material too. Here's an excerpt of what this vendor recommends using them for:
It is a must have tool for the collection of trichomes, resin glands, plant materials, kiefs, and pollens. Trim tumblers are best made using SS mesh screen due to its inherent stiffnes and rigidity. Sifter boxes, filter boxes, kief keef kif keif boxes (it seems that people prefer different spellings LOL!!), pollen boxes, and shaker boxes also benefit from this stiffness and exclusivly employ long lasting SS mesh screen in their construction.
Anyone know what a "tumbler" is? Various sites say they are superior to bubble bags. But I can't figure out what it is (or any of the stuff mentioned above for that matter).
I was thinking I could buy some screen and just make my own thingy ma jingy with it. But I don't like to reinvent the wheel, if others already know easy ways to do this.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hey @Deleted User. I now have everything I need to do my little ultrasonic experiment. The only I wasn't able to get in a timely fashion are some transport tubes. So instead of sending you samples of the grog would it work ok if I just sent you some of the makas from each test instead? If I understand what you're doing over there, I believe you should be able to deduce the effectiveness of the extraction process but analyzing the amount of kavatones left in the makas.

Does that sound right? If so how much of the makas do you need and what is a good way to ship it to you?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I think makas will work, I'll know more after some runs this weekend on Steve's samples. Ideally, I'd want the original raw kava, plus prepared drink and makas for each prep method. I have to dehydrate the drink and makas to test, so you could go ahead and do that. Don't use any significant heat to dehydrate, it works well to make some aluminum foil pans and spread it out to evaporate. Then you can just fold up and bag the pans. I need at least 75mg of dried residue per sample to test.
ok I think I can do all that. Except.... I don't own a scale. Can you guesstimate how many teaspoons or tablespoons that would work for you?