What's new

Co2 Extract update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I don't think there are anymore left, but setting up an initial preorder would be nice. I missed GHK's first and only run of extract because I ain't on here everyday :)
Once we've got the formula, packaging, and whatnot dialed in we'll put it on the site as out of stock. Once there, even before it's available you can add your email address to be notified immediately when it becomes available. Almost like a pre-order...

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Received mine today as well. Very mellow flavor and less numbing compared to most extracts (to me that's a good thing). Thanks @Bula Kava House for the nice little pick-me-up at the end of the work day. Fed some to the man too (he has a renewed interest after my fizzy kava adventure).

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Received mine today as well. Very mellow flavor and less numbing compared to most extracts (to me that's a good thing). Thanks @Bula Kava House for the nice little pick-me-up at the end of the work day. Fed some to the man too (he has a renewed interest after my fizzy kava adventure).
Let me know if more flavor is preferred. It's an easy change that I'm already considering.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I think a touch more orange would make it perfect. Had a chance to really enjoy this extract. I weighed out 2.5 mg and rolled it into ball in my mouth, I love the consistency of it, I rolled it around in my mouth, let it dissolve, eventually I couldn't resist and chewed it down. It's really damn good man, I got a nice kava rush.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I think a touch more orange would make it perfect. Had a chance to really enjoy this extract. I weighed out 2.5 mg and rolled it into ball in my mouth, I love the consistency of it, I rolled it around in my mouth, let it dissolve, eventually I couldn't resist and chewed it down. It's really damn good man, I got a nice kava rush.
Nice. 2.5 grams should be between 350 and 400 mg. of kavalactones. I'll try a little more orange extract in the next batch.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Ok I like the effects, would like it a little stronger (I think I may be a little hard headed today); however, I am more than happy at this strength. I would agree with adding a bit more flavor in the mix.

I have to say I am excited about this extract, a little minor tweaking on the flavor profile and we will have a winner!

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
More orange would be nice. I do like the flavor and consistency. After the 3rd gob I started feeling effects for sure. More headiness than sedation. I need to try it in the daytime as in the evening I am used to traditional medium grind. I wonder if the numbing would correlate with the effects?? It would be good to try making the paste from Nangol. Probably won't be economical but maybe experiment with making it with the other kavas like the nambawan, taveuni waka and the eua. Perhaps making a blend of kavas to keep it potent yet economical. Also I was curious to know what percentage of the extract is flavoring and other non-kava components. I did get some sweetness. Was there some sugar or sweetner?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Seems like the opinions so far are that it needs a little more flavor. That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to get a greater consensus.

As far as using other kavas, I totally can, though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make it with the more expensive varieties, when we have great noble varieties, with similar chemotypes available that would allow us to sell it at a cheaper price.

Also I was curious to know what percentage of the extract is flavoring and other non-kava components. I did get some sweetness. Was there some sugar or sweetner?
@PsyGuru The paste consists of about 20% of a 75% kavalactone extract. The rest is some flavoring, a natural preservative, and an ingredient that helps with bioavailability. There's quite a bit of honey in it, and some cane sugar for sweetness.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Seems like the opinions so far are that it needs a little more flavor. That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to get a greater consensus.

As far as using other kavas, I totally can, though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make it with the more expensive varieties, when we have great noble varieties, with similar chemotypes available that would allow us to sell it at a cheaper price.

@PsyGuru The paste consists of about 20% of a 75% kavalactone extract. The rest is some flavoring, a natural preservative, and an ingredient that helps with bioavailability. There's quite a bit of honey in it, and some cane sugar for sweetness.
I would prefer to get it on a jar instead of a toothpaste style dispenser and you mention 20% of 75% Kl's, does that mean it could be 30% of 75% KL?

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I would prefer to get it on a jar instead of a toothpaste style dispenser and you mention 20% of 75% Kl's, does that mean it could be 30% of 75% KL?
Could be 100%, but then I'd be responsible for the first ever kava overdose. This kavalactone % seems to be more or less on par with other co2 pastes. It allows me to balance the flavor, yet is potent enough that a gram or two can still be considered a serving. Because the extract is the expensive portion, upping it would also affect the price. At present I'd be able to sell it at no more than $1 per gram.

As for tube versus jar, we're thinking about user friendliness. With a tube you don't need a utensil to pull it out. It's also easier to squeeze out the desired amount. It's also easier to ship and won't break.

Why would you prefer a jar?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I guess I I like the jar because I can see it, or through it and it's a pretty sight :)

What's the price point you are aiming for this?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Got mine in, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. For the record, I've tried 100% (or as close as you can get it) kavalactone extract, and you might as well be trying to eat crayon wax. The stuff actually feels like it wouldn't be absorbed if there weren't some emulsifiers.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Got mine in, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. For the record, I've tried 100% (or as close as you can get it) kavalactone extract, and you might as well be trying to eat crayon wax. The stuff actually feels like it wouldn't be absorbed if there weren't some emulsifiers.
I was just curious about a 10% increase not 100, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.