What's new

Kava and Covid Vaccine

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I had the AstraZeneca jab 14 days ago...I'm ok but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the next one, unless they find out what the blood clotting is all about. I didn't get a choice of which one to have. If you're in UK you have no choice btw
I believe I read somewhere - and can't find it now - that if you didn't have a reaction (ie blood clots) to the AstraZenica first vaccine, then you likely won't to the second. All the issues have been after the first shot. FWIW my niece - who has blood clotting issues - had the AZ first vaccine, and is totally fine.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I believe I read somewhere - and can't find it now - that if you didn't have a reaction (ie blood clots) to the AstraZenica first vaccine, then you likely won't to the second. All the issues have been after the first shot. FWIW my niece - who has blood clotting issues - had the AZ first vaccine, and is totally fine.
Thanks for the info...I'll do some research :)

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
About to get round two of the phizer and as usual - nervous. Drank a teaspoon of fire island instant in my iced hibiscus, lemongrass, and rooibos tisane. Combined three washes of three tablespoons of samoan ava in the alubottle and I am on my way.
Hope all goes great!...5 Members of my family have had their second same one as your's and they are totally fine! I had my first astrazeneca vaccine and I'm not sure if I'll go for the second due to blood clots. I think the pfizer is the best vaccine you can get.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I suppose I should be posting in this thread. I just got my first Pfizer vaccine and I haven't felt notably unusual yet. I imagine the worst is yet to come. Anybody advise against drinking kava within 24 hours of a Pfizer injection? I'll probably want to shake some up but I'll refrain if you guys have any input on the subject.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
After I got the first round of the Pfizer I felt fine.. Later on in the day I started feeling light headed..
I woke up the next day feeling very ill with body aches but I brewed up about a half gallon of Kava and went straight to sleep after drinking..
Slept for about 12hours and woke up feeling great lol

ThePiper

Kava Lover
After I got the first round of the Pfizer I felt fine.. Later on in the day I started feeling light headed..
I woke up the next day feeling very ill with body aches but I brewed up about a half gallon of Kava and went straight to sleep after drinking..
Slept for about 12hours and woke up feeling great lol
the second shot is usually worse... hope that’s not the case for you.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
If you worry about clots, then I made a quick glance of literature regarding the subject.

The clots are prevented by
1) garlic
2) omega-3 (read: salmon fat)
3) [self-censored]

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
edit: replace 'prevented' with 'less likely associated with ingesting'

edit: low dose acetylsalicylic acid, of course, prevents clots as well

edit: it is probably pertinent to predisposed people, and vaccines have some 0.0006 % risk of serious adverse event (flu-like symptoms I consider moderate but it may be a thing in USA where abstaining from work is more serious than EU) compared to the ~0.1% chance of hospitalization for middle aged people.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
For me it had a delayed reaction, I didn't feel much the day after and then felt body aches until today (3-4 days). It wasn't pleasant but now I am done. Advil and a bean bag you can nuke as a heatpad, helped.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Had my first shot of Pfizer today (I’m in my 20s and wasn’t in a hurry) feel good so far but 5 minutes after the shot I had a vagal response which caused me to basically turn white as a sheet and vision blur ears muffled dizzy sweaty. I had to lay down in the back of the cvs for like 40 minutes but then I was fine. A very similar thing happened after my meningitis vaccine several years ago. Not fun.

Nirad

Kava Curious
I have had both shots of Pfizer, and other than being sore as heck in all my joints did not have any adverse reactions. I consumed kava before and afterwards. I know the initial question was a bit ago but thought it would be good to add to the conversation should anyone else be hesitant. Tomorrow my "5G" goes fully active and although I am not looking forward to the increased data charges I am excited to be able to reluctantly (oddly I actually enjoy the socially distanced existence) move back to a semblance of normality!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Tomorrow marks 14 days since my second Moderna shot, side effects lasted 4-5 day, not terrible but achy. At least I should be protected for a little bit. Just in time too, going to Miami next Thursday to visit my Sister and the kids. It's a calculated risk but I will be going straight to her apt. and limiting the visit within her apt complex. My whole family is fully vacinated as well, which is awesome!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I drank kava after both vaccinations, AZ. First time was a sore arm and queasiness, temperature fluctuations and general malaise. Next day a lot better. The second time was just some vague queasiness for a day and then fine.