What's new

Vanuatu3 limited edition kava from kava by rex

I would suggest for a kava with coarse and finely ground powder mixed. Use your finger tips more and massage until it becomes consistently coarse. At this point you should have no problems squeezing with a lot of pressure.  I enjoy preparing kava. It helps set the mood.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I agree completely. I ordered the Fiji Waka, Tongan Pride, and and Van 3 over the last month and I find them all sub par. My Van3 had "pebbles" of root the size of peas. I'm still experimenting witht hem, but I likely wont be ordering from them again. I'd rather pay a little more and get a better product I dont need to work on for an hour and waste half of.

new2kava wrote:I was not overly impressed with van3. I'd heard so much hype that I thought it would be the fire. I tend to be more of a high DHM enjoyer so my judgement is failry biased. I hated the grind, parts were practically micronized mixed in chunkds and fibers. I liked the fu'u because I could drink it like an instant and not bother to knead and strain. But this stuff I couldn't do that with and was nearly impossible to squeeze. I broke my strainer bag and could only properly knead and squeeze when it was mixed with a more coarsly ground kava like boroguro, the mix was grand. I'm kinda offset with the new batches at KBR lately, first the van3 and the tudei which was my absolute favorite came back and was totally rated G. I'd say that that last batch of van3 was basically a half assed ghetto fu'u, the taste was great though.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
I would also say that i am less then impressed with rex's stuff lately, it's mediocre. I had van3 perhaps 4 batches or more ago and it was absolute krunkness, intoxicating. I have had two batchs of van3 since and each have gotten more and more diluted. The waka is weaker then i recall and the tongan pride was always meh for me.

kl.stevev

Kava Curious
I thought the isa was really good. But, the van3 (last batch) and fiji waka were not great. I had to increase the ratios to twice my norm.

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
NDG said:
The waka is weaker then i recall and the tongan pride was always meh for me.
Huh, surprised to hear you say so.  I thought Rex's Tongan Pride was pretty nice.  I bought a bag about two months ago - it was the first time I'd bought that strain from Rex before, though, so I don't have any previous batches of Tongan to compare it to.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
dan said:
Huh, surprised to hear you say so.  I thought Rex's Tongan Pride was pretty nice.  I bought a bag about two months ago - it was the first time I'd bought that strain from Rex before, though, so I don't have any previous batches of Tongan to compare it to.
I agree - I love Tongan Pride! I've only ever had one batch of it but it's probably one of my favorites since it doesn't put me to sleep and seems almost energetic.

kavalover

Outsider
stevev said:
I thought the isa was really good. But, the van3 (last batch) and fiji waka were not great. I had to increase the ratios to twice my norm.
Indeed, my experience as been the same. The isa always seem to be as potent as ever, I don't need much. But right now, with this Van3 batch, I'm using a full cup of kava root to 3 cups water to get a good krunk going. Not anything like how it used to be with 2 - 4 tbsp needed.

Ah well, that's the fun (but sometimes disappointing) aspect of kava drinking - the lack of consistency in potency.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm in the same boat here. Does little if anything at my conventionally krunlalicious dosages.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
Ditto y'all's opinions on Van3. I was mixing it with Stone for a while, now I'm out of Stone. Going to have to figure out what else I can do with it.

kl.snwrist

Kava Curious
Damn. Saw that Rex just got the vanatu back in stock and, having heard all the raves, went ahead and ordered. Has anyone tried it yet?

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I've got a lb on the way with some isa. This is basically rex's last opportunity to redeem himself with me. The origianl isa I had back in 2011 was insane and the last batches have been subpar and the van3 has been a disappointment. I know that kava varies with the seasons, so I'm hoping this will be the good stuff. If not then I'm just gonna scratch him off my list of kava vendors.

kl.snwrist

Kava Curious
Got my Van 3 yesterday and, after two nights, I can safely say this is some great kava! Keep in mind that this is my first time with Van 3, so I'll be interested to hear from others who've had previous batches.

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I've drank it few times but always made with 50/50 blend of isa. It really makes for an awesome blend, but I have yet to try it on it's own. I keep telling myself I'm going to try but always end up making a blend. I tend to prefer a good dose of DHM so my opinion would be somewhat biased anyway.

kl.pep

Kava Curious
i drank some the other night and found I couldn't get to sleep...is this typical of Van3? Maybe I should add in some Tudei as posted above

kl..

Kava Curious
It's a more energetic kava, it seems to lift my mood more than a high DHM kava. If you want to definitely get to sleep, the DHM content is the big thing to look for and Van 3 is higher in kavain. I have insomnia and the relaxing action of kava helps me sleep in general, but every one is a little different. I've never mixed it with a tudei, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds like it worked well for new2.

kl.pep

Kava Curious
I'm mixing the V3 with the hideous kona kava that I have left and so far my eyes are a bit heavy and body is relaxed, but my hands are sweating...weird...i've made 1/2 cup of each and mixed it with 8 cups of water. Downed 3 shells so far.

how's this batch? just ordered some and hearing all this negative reception isn't exactly assuring. i thought this stuff was supposed to be nectar of the gods?

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
nobody has tried this batch yet, it just became available in the last couple days. let us know how you like it once you try it

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
I got mine a couple weeks ago now and it is mighty fine. I don't know if it's the old batch or new but I really do love the Vanuatu3. Working out nicely with the Waka. This evening I made about 4 shells out of 2tbs V3 and 1 Waka and I am feeling no pain.
a little itchy maybe(smiley: laugh)