What's new

What does your Avatar mean to you?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
@avahZ I am your father cousin many times removed via Mitochondrial Eve. (I was just watching the original Star Wars movies with my daughter
The first trilogy is much better than the second trilogy
)
Funny my last name is Walker, me and the wifu seriously considered naming our sons middle name "Sky".

verticity

I'm interested in things
It's weird, my daughter (age 10) was familiar with Star Wars from some atrocious Star Wars cartoons on the Disney channel or something but hadn't seen the actual movies, so I felt she needed to see the original classics.

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
Wormwood, before you buy a dog, think about getting a rescue dog. There are so many that need a home. There is a nominal fee to neuter/spay the pup. Also a small donation to a rescue organization. These pups will not forget what you did for them. You'll have a friend for life!:happy:

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
I've never been that keen on either because they take up a lot of time and make your house smell but I went on holiday to Crete a few years ago and there was a tiny little stray cat there (Crete has loads of them) who made friends with me and I sort of changed my mind :)
Edward, you're right the house will smell of cats or dogs. You can get your carpet cleaned and that will usually take care of that. It's worth it! We love cats and dogs. We don't have a cat now because Woody had a rough start in life and it was requested he be in a one animal household. We had a cat, Minnie, who lived more than 20 years. She was great. Very loving but yet independent. We live far out in the country, which makes it a great place to raise and animal.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Aw man, my avatar is just me. Simply me..lol. Not very original. Although, it was taken on a cruise to the Caribbean islands.
Wormwood, before you buy a dog, think about getting a rescue dog. There are so many that need a home. There is a nominal fee to neuter/spay the pup. Also a small donation to a rescue organization. These pups will not forget what you did for them. You'll have a friend for life!:happy:
You go Steph! I love animals. So much so that I only eat fish. No other meats. I have six dogs, a cat, two birds, a rabbit, and a fish. Living out in the country, six dogs isn't a problem. Okay, well it's a problem feeding them all...lol. When I was living in town, I got a dog from the Animal Defense League. A no-kill shelter. She was on the senior dog program, and had been returned several times because she bites! I showed that dog love and understanding. She NEVER bit me. She chased my friend a few times into the bed of his truck..lol. She bit my dad, an old girlfriend, and other people also. But, she was my bud. She had my back. The day she died, my heart broke. :(

I've taken on several strays in the past. None of my dogs are bought. They were all dumped out in the country, and they come around with rib bones showing. People think dogs are wild and can live in wild. They can't! They end up wandering around. Sometimes staying put, waiting for their master to return. I'm sorry, but it is REALLY sad. To drive past a dog that's starving, day after day. Knowing it's been dumped. Betrayed by the ones it loves and left to die. Sooo, I have six dogs!..lol. I just can't pass them up.

When you save a dumped or rescue dog, they remember that! Dogs love unconditionally. Cats...not so much. But when I get home, I'm greeted with wagging tails!

yardcat

Kava Lightweight
Don't forget to check out senior dogs. We lost our dog to cancer in the spleen in August, he was 12 and we got him when he was a couple of months. In early Decemeber we saw an older dog on Petfinder whose owner passed a year ago. It was the only life she knew, and it was suddenly gone. She looks a lot like the dog I had growing up. I know at 8 or 9 we won't have her as long, but we really felt like we did the right thing. Besides senior dogs are fairly low maintenance compared to puppies.
As for the avatar, that is Tony Rice, one of my guitar heroes.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Edward, you're right the house will smell of cats or dogs. You can get your carpet cleaned and that will usually take care of that. It's worth it! ....
Protip: Don't have more than one male cat in the same house, or you will learn the true meaning of "pissing contest"

verticity

I'm interested in things
Or you could just get their cahones snipped.
That is essential in any case, of course, but does not help. "Fixing" does not remove the instinct to be territorial with other males, nor does it improve the odor of male cat urine. Trust me on this one--I know wherefrom I am speaking here.

(Edit: I am proud to say that this is my 3000th comment on this Forum, and it is about cat pee.)

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that cats are evil.
Every time my neighbours cat walks into my yard I give it my most terrifying stink eye. This however, does not deter the sly beast, who gives no shits whatsoever what I think of her.

My girl Avalon, a big floppy canine, loves me all the more for my distrust and dislike of the foul feline from next door.

@verticity congrats on the 3000th post.

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Our avatar/logo is about building a bridge between the old and new ways of Polynesia. The Stone Head and Kava Cup of Ancient Polynesian Culture is presented in a Sleek Modern Design that embraces who we are as a company. By applying modern advances in technology to ancient ritual, we vow to spread the culture of Kava one cup at a time.

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
Our avatar/logo is about building a bridge between the old and new ways of Polynesia. The Stone Head and Kava Cup of Ancient Polynesian Culture is presented in a Sleek Modern Design that embraces who we are as a company. By applying modern advances in technology to ancient ritual, we vow to spread the culture of Kava one cup at a time.
It's working! I've recently drank Kava around friends for the first time. Unfortunately they are too close-minded to try it but they didn't think it seemed to strange as I shook up a shell in the Aluball. I think the impression would have been different if I started squeezing a bag of mud in a bowl. Thanks for sharing!

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Or you could just get their cahones snipped.
My cats (both male) have never sprayed or marked their territories. So in my opinion, neutering a cat does help with the territory marking. Unfortunately, not all cats are the same, and may spray regardless of being castrated.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that cats are evil.
Every time my neighbours cat walks into my yard I give it my most terrifying stink eye. This however, does not deter the sly beast, who gives no shits whatsoever what I think of her.
Oh, trust me, it definitely "gives shits". Most likely in your kids' sandbox or flower bed. :)

I have 2 cats. Always had cats, all my life. I love them! Mysterious, yes, but wonderful pets IMHO.

Re: avatar: this is my steel horse, a Victory Cross Country. I am a consumate and passionate rider. I ride every chance I get!
I've taken many very long (1000+ mile) trips, sometimes with friends, sometimes with wifey. Can't get enough!!!!!

There is nothing that clears out the cobwebs like blazing through the warm wind on the back roads on two wheels.
My riding buddies and I call it "wind therapy".

And, nothing feels better after 10 hours in the saddle than a few shells to ease the tight shoulders and back. Better
than a jacuzzi!

Last edited:

Sam Handwich

Kava Enthusiast
[QUOTE="VictoryRider, post: 83750, Better
than a jacuzzi![/QUOTE]
But is it better than a couple of shells in a jacuzzi?!