What's new

"50% higher efficacy of the combination passiflora/kava in comparison with the single substances"

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
"Pharmacological studies on the sedative and hypnotic effect of Kava kava and Passiflora extracts combination" A. Capassoa L. Sorrentino

Abstract:

"Kava kava extract, Passiflora extract and a combination of both extracts, administered to mice, caused a significant
decrease of the amphetamine-induced hypermotility and significant prolongation of sleeping phase induced by
subcutaneous injection of barbiturates. Due to a synergism of both extracts, simultaneously administered the
pharmacologically registered effect in both in vivo experiments was found to be superior over the sum of the single
separately administered extracts"

Conclusion:

"The quantitatively assessed effect in the pharmacological test shows an approximately 50% higher efficacy of the combination passiflora/kava in comparison with the single substances. In case of the barbiturate sleeping time the effect of the combination is as well approximately 50% higher compared with the single substances."

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Nice find Henry, I often drink a passion flower based tea with my kava and always thought it increased the potency much more than alone; thought it must be my imagination.

I think I'll perhaps look into getting some nice organic passion flower powder and mixing it with my kava, it couldn't taste any worse:)

ApéroNoble

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Nice find indeed. Let's see some more posts about this combination. I don't think I want to buy a pound of Passion Flower without testing it. Do they have Passionflower instant that I can mix with one of my 3 GHK instants? How about a Kava Kalada with passionflower?

ApéroNoble

Nice find indeed. Let's see some more posts about this combination. I don't think I want to buy a pound of Passion Flower without testing it. Do they have Passionflower instant that I can mix with one of my 3 GHK instants? How about a Kava Kalada with passionflower?
no PF instant Jman, although PF powder is ready to consume, so it's instant in that regard, we're all becoming too accustomed to becoming spoiled by Chris:coffee:

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
i've read passion flower has a mild GABA effect, so I always assumed mixing the two would be like mixing kava with a weak natural benzo, potentiation. i'm not sure if passion flower uses the same liver enzymes to break it down as kava, has anyone checked ?
I have passion flowers growing in my backyard and have often thought about chewing on some, but i also heard there can be cyanide in them or something...and i don't know if i trust myself do distinguish proper species.

ApéroNoble

i've read passion flower has a mild GABA effect, so I always assumed mixing the two would be like mixing kava with a weak natural benzo, potentiation. i'm not sure if passion flower uses the same liver enzymes to break it down as kava, has anyone checked ?
I have passion flowers growing in my backyard and have often thought about chewing on some, but i also heard there can be cyanide in them or something...and i don't know if i trust myself do distinguish proper species.
I don't know about that shakas, maybe ok if you've no Cows or anything running along the path... It seems the companies take pride in getting the good stuff all from France. Maybe they grow it alongside their vineyards
STB033_Xl.jpg

Jaynerd

Kava Curious
This is really interesting..

Ive been taking passionflower daily for a while now (well before I started drinking kava)

The funny thing is that I experience the more intense effects of kava (heavy sedation, euphoria, "wobblyness", etc..) from a smaller dose (around 3-4tbsp) than what I find most people to use on the forums..

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Hell.. If I could reduce my intake of grog and get optimal effects, I'd be all in for trying passionflower along with it(y)

blindy107

Kava Lover
Hell.. If I could reduce my intake of grog and get optimal effects, I'd be all in for trying passionflower along with it(y)
My thoughts exactly. Passionflower is much more affordable. Hah

I got the capsule form. It's just micronized flower and veggie capsules. 8.99$ for 100. Here's hoping!

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
Put a pic up if you can, some species are pretty unique. If its edulis or incarnata (which are fairly commonly found in a lot of garden places) you're good to go, some other species are also recognized as generally safe but I'd stick with those two just for harm prevention because those are the usual market varieties.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
"Pharmacological studies on the sedative and hypnotic effect of Kava kava and Passiflora extracts combination" A. Capassoa L. Sorrentino

Abstract:

"Kava kava extract, Passiflora extract and a combination of both extracts, administered to mice, caused a significant
decrease of the amphetamine-induced hypermotility and significant prolongation of sleeping phase induced by
subcutaneous injection of barbiturates. Due to a synergism of both extracts, simultaneously administered the
pharmacologically registered effect in both in vivo experiments was found to be superior over the sum of the single
separately administered extracts"

Conclusion:

"The quantitatively assessed effect in the pharmacological test shows an approximately 50% higher efficacy of the combination passiflora/kava in comparison with the single substances. In case of the barbiturate sleeping time the effect of the combination is as well approximately 50% higher compared with the single substances."
Does this have anything to do with the mild maoi content of some varieties? If so there are other legal botanicals with stronger maoi properties. Anyone know if this would be contraindicated in combination with kavalactones?

ApéroNoble

are you guys referring me lol... here is the one I was speaking to
download (10).jpg

Passionflower Plant Extract 36 mg
Proprietary Blend of Herbs 1,686 mg
Organic Rooibos Leaf
Organic Chamomile Flower
Organic Lemon Balm Leaf
Organic Spearmint Leaf
Organic Lemongrass
Organic Lavender Flower
Organic Peppermint Leaf
Organic Lemon Myrtle Leaf
Organic Sage Leaf
Stevia Leaf

R

Rookietwoshoes

I got the yogi tea brand because the store was out of the alvita brand (which is straight passionflower , not a mix ) . Will report back .