What's new

Newbie looking for help

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was introduced to kava just last week. I'm struggling to feel anything beyond the tongue-numbing, even at a local kava bar. Tonight I tried the Kalm with Kava Borongoru, three 8oz glasses (so 6 shells?) of first wash in my Aluball, and two 8oz glasses of a second wash, all spaced out within an hour, on an empty stomach. I felt the tiniest bit...heavier? But nothing like what others say kava is supposed to be like. I've been researching RT, which is why I tried having so much tonight, but I don't know if I had enough to push through - most people seem to say one big night can do it.

I haven't slept through the night in over a year, and I really, really need some sleep. I was very much hoping kava would be able to do that for me, but so far, nothing. As someone pointed out in another forum, there are a LOT of men into kava, and while I've tried asking questions on the FB page, I'm not getting responses - so I'm hoping that I might get some responses here.

Is this experience normal for women? Or did anyone else struggle with RT? I do have Celiac, and I'm currently on Keto to lose the weight my doc wants me to lose, but I can't imagine any of that would have an effect. I do have GAD, and one of the theories I've seen of why RT happens is that the GABA receptors need to re-learn their pathways - which, with anxiety, I'm wondering if it might take longer than the average person?

I know everyone says to stick with it, the effects are (eventually) SO worth it, so I'm trying to have faith, it's just discouraging. I've got a bag of Kavafied's Laita to try tomorrow (people say to try different strains until you find one that works for you), but from what I've read, it sounds like the amount of KWK I had tonight should have knocked me out.

So my other questions are - if anyone is taking this to combat sleep-maintenance insomnia (likely because of anxiety), have you found a successful strain? And when do you drink it to get a good night's sleep - it's said kava should be drunk on an empty stomach, but I do still eat dinner, and am not usually up 3 hours after I finish eating.

Thanks for any help you can share. I'm looking forward to becoming more a part of the kava community!

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Hi, my name is Jennifer and I was introduced to kava just last week. I'm struggling to feel anything beyond the tongue-numbing, even at a local kava bar. Tonight I tried the Kalm with Kava Borongoru, three 8oz glasses (so 6 shells?) of first wash in my Aluball, and two 8oz glasses of a second wash, all spaced out within an hour, on an empty stomach. I felt the tiniest bit...heavier? But nothing like what others say kava is supposed to be like. I've been researching RT, which is why I tried having so much tonight, but I don't know if I had enough to push through - most people seem to say one big night can do it.

I haven't slept through the night in over a year, and I really, really need some sleep. I was very much hoping kava would be able to do that for me, but so far, nothing. As someone pointed out in another forum, there are a LOT of men into kava, and while I've tried asking questions on the FB page, I'm not getting responses - so I'm hoping that I might get some responses here.

Is this experience normal for women? Or did anyone else struggle with RT? I do have Celiac, and I'm currently on Keto to lose the weight my doc wants me to lose, but I can't imagine any of that would have an effect. I do have GAD, and one of the theories I've seen of why RT happens is that the GABA receptors need to re-learn their pathways - which, with anxiety, I'm wondering if it might take longer than the average person?

I know everyone says to stick with it, the effects are (eventually) SO worth it, so I'm trying to have faith, it's just discouraging. I've got a bag of Kavafied's Laita to try tomorrow (people say to try different strains until you find one that works for you), but from what I've read, it sounds like the amount of KWK I had tonight should have knocked me out.

So my other questions are - if anyone is taking this to combat sleep-maintenance insomnia (likely because of anxiety), have you found a successful strain? And when do you drink it to get a good night's sleep - it's said kava should be drunk on an empty stomach, but I do still eat dinner, and am not usually up 3 hours after I finish eating.

Thanks for any help you can share. I'm looking forward to becoming more a part of the kava community!

What you are experiencing is more common than you think! Yes reverse tolerance may play a huge part in what's going on, but everyone is different. I very much agree with finding the "right" Kava for you but in the beginning stage its more about getting your body to understand & get used to what Kava is and what is does.
For a beginner Kava drinker its common for one to think that they don't want to take "too much" because they don't know what "too much" will do, so they start off with a small amount and or decide not exceed a certain amount.
Try not to rely on Kava for sleep or anxiety. Try to think of Kava as a "sacred" drink.. Take it slow without thinking so much about it. 6 shells is good, but if your body & stomach could handle more I'd say go for it!
KWK has some great products, I'm sure it just takes a little time for your body to get the hang of it.
-On a day where you have a lot of free time go ahead and brew up a good amount of Kava. Drink through out the day & relax.
Kava isn't so much about helping with sleep & anxiety & so on, but more about relaxing and enjoying it.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized

Hi Jennifer. My wife and I just introduced another couple to kava a few nights ago. They loved it. I made the first tanoa full by traditional prep, massaging the kava in a strainer bag for about ten minutes. It was good kava. Then I used the aluball to make a couple of additional shells for those wanting more. They've ordered the aluball. If you use that method, make sure that you use a little less than two tablespoons of kava. No more. And don't be afraid of intense shaking for. I didn't really experience reverse tolerance, but my wife felt almost nothing for the first month of drinking kava three times a week. But when it "hit" her, it was intense. And still is. Good luck! Mike

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I use kava for help with sleep. Some chemotypes make insomnia worse for me. As far as I can tell, it's trial and error for each person on which kavas will help. For me, anything with too much crown root or some Fijian can keep me up. Generally super heady kavas do not promote sleep. Go for kavas labeled as heavy.

Do a traditional prep. You can get a 80 micron strainer bag off of Amazon or get some bags from a vendor. Aluball can be too weak of a preparation for some people. It also heavily depends on the grind of the kava and whether it's suitable for the aluball. The more fine the grind, the better for aluball.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Hello, sorry I am a bit late to the party, there are some excellent answers above already but I noticed a few things in your post that I wanted to mention..

I would say that it took me a lot longer to get the hang of heavy kava which is what will help with sleep. I don't think there is a major difference between men and women when it comes to RT. I'm trying to think of if the keto would make any difference but I can't see how.

I drank alcohol for 25 years and if I don't have either alcohol or kava I get RLS, twitchy legs. What works best for me is heavy Fijian or Hawaiian kavas. Hiwa from GHK, Koro Island from Art of Kava or Kadavu from a few sources are best. They are very sedative kavas for me and some other people have told me the same.

I always drink it in the evening but I don't eat after around 2 pm depending on my day. So a good breakfast and lunch but no dinner, at least 3 hours without eating. Saying that though I have found recently that I am able to eat with kava, between shells, and still feel it. I think at first though you are better off trying to go with an empty stomach.

Please keep in touch and let us all know how you are getting on.

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
Personally I don't find kava that good for sleep. Indeed many kavas actually keep me up sometimes if I drink them too late. I would suggest high CBN weed for sleep, maybe with a balanced or heavy kava a few hours earlier.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Personally I don't find kava that good for sleep. Indeed many kavas actually keep me up sometimes if I drink them too late. I would suggest high CBN weed for sleep, maybe with a balanced or heavy kava a few hours earlier.
Try a heavy Fijian kava like Koro Island or Kadavu.